Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2023, 01:57 AM   #1
GIO

[QUOTE=A. G. Maisey;269187]GIO, I agree that the hilt is recent, but it is most definitely not mass-produced.

You are right, Alan. When I wrote the post I had in mind the kris of Marius66.
I take this opportunity to wish to you and to your family a happy 2024.
Gio
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2023, 02:47 AM   #2
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for your good wishes GIO.

May I extend the same same good wishes for the coming year to you & your family, and to all of those who choose to join us here, a happy, healthy & prosperous 2024.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 08:38 AM   #3
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO View Post

You are right, Alan. When I wrote the post I had in mind the kris of Marius66.
I take this opportunity to wish to you and to your family a happy 2024.
Gio
Marius66 published his kris in 2023 (see thread) , mine was published way before in 2022

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29438

but yes, whilst that dress is the most common dress for tourist, this is certainly anything but common. I have yet to see another.

I asked back then the meaning of the depiction and later on, I found that these are INDEED scenes of the RAMAYANA (and not just any fantasy pictures) , I posted again, not in conjunction with Mariu66 post, to add information to the forum should anyone even come across this in future
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 04:56 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
I asked back then the meaning of the depiction and later on, I found that these are INDEED scenes of the RAMAYANA (and not just any fantasy pictures) , I posted again, not in conjunction with Mariu66 post, to add information to the forum should anyone even come across this in future
Yes, it is not surprising that the images depicted on your sarung are indeed scenes of Ramayana.While i did recommend not looking too deeply to find meaning in it i don't believe anyone here suggested that the scene was "fantasy". However, just to be clear, that does not change the fact that this dress would not be considered suitable for cultural wear for a man in Bali. It was still most likely designed to be attractive to Western collector's eyes.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 10:49 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Milandro, although sunggingan used on keris dress is relatively uncommon in genuine Balinese work, it is not at all uncommon in Javanese keris dress, & also in keris dress that follows the style of various regions, but is produced in East Jawa for the collector market, both local & international.

In sunggingan work used on keris dress, and that has characters included in the design, those characters are usually drawn from myth & legend, say from the wayang, or from the great religious texts and sagas & sometimes from indigenous belief.

In some situations the colours used in the sunggingan work can have a meaning, that meaning being an indicator of hierarchical status in a defined sphere.

In other situations, both the colour scheme and the ornamentation itself has no meaning other than pure artistic ornamentation.

In a situation where meaning is intended, the complete keris is suitable for wear within the relevant society, where it serves the purpose of a status indicator.

The dress used for your keris has been carved in an authentic style, the hilt is a totogan, the scabbard is batun poh form, relief carving on a scabbard is uncommon in old keris, but has become more frequently seen in both keris prepared for local use in Bali, and in keris prepared for the collector market.

The unusual element in your keris is the use of very non-typical sunggingan work.

There are definitely some questions circling around this keris, but they are questions that could only be answered by a person with long experience in the field, and with the keris in hand, photos only ever tell a part of the story.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 2nd January 2024 at 11:04 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bali, buta nawa sari, polychrome, pulo tirto