Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th November 2020, 03:38 AM   #1
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Wow, please post it after it's fully unwrapped and you have had a chance to brandish and have some fun with it. I am a fan of these too; in general I try to stay away from polearms (mainly because I don't have high enough ceilings in my house!), but these are awfully tempting, as are spetums and corsesche a pipistrello.

I’ve attached some pics. I’m not sure what order they will attach in, but I have an overview of the roncone, a closeup up the blade, a view of the original langets (partial, I assume), the benefits of high ceilings, and the rest of the children waiting to be attached to the wall. Should have 18 total, I think.

I like to arrange them with similar heads opposite each other, so I’ll likely put the Polish pike on the end, opposite the large boar spear, and have the roncone opposite the large Glaive.

This was another reason I was excited to get the pike in this thread. It is going to balance out the display with my other spear, I hope!

I lost a corseque at auction this weekend, which would have matched my 15th century Italian lance. Sad, but I have to keep money in reserve for a large painting this weekend.

I need a decent corseque and spetum. I’m always looking for a traditional pollaxe, but at $8-12k, that’s a... commitment. I just bought this new house so my play money is disappearing quickly.
Attached Images

BUCC_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Philip

Default bellissimo!

Thanks for posting your new treasure, it really deserves a thread all its own, hopefully we can have other members chime in regarding the development of the bill in other European countries besides Italy, with examples of same from their own collections!

Your roncone is indeed a wonderful example of the genre, its form quite nicely preserved, without visible damage, repairs, or alteration. The extremely long dorsal spike is a nice feature. Let's see it after you clean it up, (should look spectacular!) and get a dedicated discussion thread going.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Victrix

Excellent wall display! Congratulations. Looks really great. Here is a picture from Inverary Castle in Scotland for inspiration.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 03:46 AM   #4
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
Excellent wall display! Congratulations. Looks really great. Here is a picture from Inverary Castle in Scotland for inspiration.
The castles make me depressed, because I will never have enough for the repetitive displays of 40 of the same item. I really like the fans and circles made up of muskets and polearms. I’d love 8 swords crossed like they have, but, money wise, I’m likely targeting just two to three swords in the future.

I used the Higgins Armory (now closed) as an example for my display. I would have done a full half-circle if my ceiling wasn’t slanted.

I have more to hang, and I’ll make a thread about my hanging system, which I’m very happy with.
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2020, 09:35 AM   #5
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCC_Guy
The castles make me depressed, because I will never have enough for the repetitive displays of 40 of the same item. I really like the fans and circles made up of muskets and polearms. I’d love 8 swords crossed like they have, but, money wise, I’m likely targeting just two to three swords in the future.

I used the Higgins Armory (now closed) as an example for my display. I would have done a full half-circle if my ceiling wasn’t slanted.

I have more to hang, and I’ll make a thread about my hanging system, which I’m very happy with.
I think the Victorian collections bordered on the obsessive. No need to overdo it but it can generate display ideas. You will be surprised how much you accumulate and it already seems you have quite a bit. Luckily you have plenty space.

I decided to only display in one personal room in my flat (cozy office/TV room) for consideration to my wife, and so as not to alarm visitors in Sweden which is appallingly PC. My collection is ever increasing and my wife presented an ultimatum: either you don’t buy more stuff or we need a bigger home. But I acquire more items by stealth and then ask her to wrap and give it to me for Christmas and birthdays. The problem is where to hide a 2.7m long halberd for 6 months...
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 02:31 AM   #6
Philip

Default visual overload

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
I think the Victorian collections bordered on the obsessive. o
When you have that much money, more is better.

The arrays look impressive from a distance in the halls of those palatial mansions, or in old-style museum displays, but the serious collector wanting to focus on a particular thing hanging 15+ feet up on a wall needs binoculars and often has to deal with poor lighting (as is the case with the Stibbert, the Pitt-Rivers, and others).
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 03:53 AM   #7
M ELEY

I agree with Philip. I hate it when you can't even get close enough to study the details of a collection. Reminds me of the living room at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville (Yeah, the 'living room' I could almost fit my house in!!). There's a whole panoply of swords above the hearth about 15 feet up! Plus, you aren't allowed to get that close!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 03:40 AM   #8
BUCC_Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
Thanks for posting your new treasure, it really deserves a thread all its own, hopefully we can have other members chime in regarding the development of the bill in other European countries besides Italy, with examples of same from their own collections!

Your roncone is indeed a wonderful example of the genre, its form quite nicely preserved, without visible damage, repairs, or alteration. The extremely long dorsal spike is a nice feature. Let's see it after you clean it up, (should look spectacular!) and get a dedicated discussion thread going.
I started a thread on it before it even arrived. I just bumped it with more closeup pictures.
Old 12th November 2020, 09:32 PM   #9
CSinTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCC_Guy
I’ve attached some pics.
Display looks great! Showed it to the wife and she gave the seal of approval. Love the bellow coffee table too!
CSinTX is offline   Reply With Quote