Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Anybody at Skinner's Auction last weekend?

Made a last minute trip to see the auction. The pictures that Skinner had on eBay were so non-descriptive that we decided to take a look in person. How do you sell edged weapons when you do not show the blades????

We did pick up a few items. Don't have them here yet. Being shipped from Boston. Too much to carry back.

Several are for people who asked me to take a personal look and bid for them. Some were worth buying and some were real tourist junk. Had to be there to really know.

I mention this because Anne and I are just beginning to travel. If there is an auction for good keris or tribal pieces from the Indonesia areas, let me know and I may go to it and bid for you.

This time we were able to take some digital pictures and send them back to be sure that the person really wanted it. There were also some pieces that I would have bid on, but friends already had a bid down and I did not want to bid against them.

Then there were some pieces that people said, "I want it if it does not go above $xxx, otherwise you are welcome to it."

We had the items shipped back to Atlanta because I can only imagine what a TSA airline guard would say if I tried to bring a five foot spear back on the plane.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...category=28221

I think that the one on the right is Nias. It has a Nias ferrule. Very unusual piece, at least to me. Other one may be Nias as well. Would welcome comments. Will post more pix when the shipment arrives.

Also got a few keris. All the lots there had rusty blades. Mostly surface rust. Hurts my heart to see keris in such condition. I LOVE keris, especially Javanese!

According to Skinner, the collection of 'Tribal' pieces belonged to a collector who quit collecting in 1973. Looks like he quit taking care of his blades about that time as well!

BTW The TSA guards will open checked luggage and inspect. If you do not leave the bags unlocked, they WILL break the locks and inspect and it becomes your problem to replace your luggage locks.

Plan to get to the airport sooner if you want to lock your bags so they can visually inspect while you watch, then they seal and you lock your luggage.

Security is very high. Both from Atlanta and from Boston. We were searched, both with metal detector wands and physically patted down. They even searched our two small dogs' harnesses that travel with us. Would have taken pictures of this, but the guards wouldn't allow it.

All in all a fun trip!

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 4th April 2005 at 05:19 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question

Bill , a question .
How do the prices realized at Skinner's compare with prices realized on the same quality pieces on ebay ?
Lower , higher , about the same ?

Last edited by Rick; 5th April 2005 at 02:32 AM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2005, 07:37 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I BID ON THE AUCTION THRU THE INTERNET, 18 ABSENTEE BIDS NO WINS, MOST OF THE TIME ABSENTEE BIDS JUST GIVE THE AUCTIONEER A PLACE TO START AND FLOOR BIDDERS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE UNLESS SOMEONE PUTS IN A RIDUCULOUS BID OR NO ONE THERE WANTS THE ITEM.
I HAD BID ON THE TWO LOTS OF SPEARS, THE TWO WERE VERY GOOD QUALITY AND UNUSUAL TYPES, I THOUGHT THE FANCIER OF THE TWO MIGHT BE NAGA THE OTHER I WAS NOT SURE OF. THE GROUP OF 6 SPEARS WERE INTERESTING BUT MOST WERE FISHING OR HUNTING SPEARS AND ONE ODD THING THAT I COULDN'T TELL WHAT WAS FROM THE PICTURE. THERE WERE SOME NICE INDONESIAN WEAPONS OFFERED, I LIKED THE NIAS SWORDS AND SHIELD AND THE SUMATRA SWORD WITH RHINO HORN HANDLE AND HORNBILL GAURD CAME CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR. DID THE TEETH ON THE NIAS SWORD LOOK LIKE CROCODILE OR TIGER AS THEY WERE REPRESENTED?

THERE WERE SOME NICE ITEMS THERE I AM GLAD SOME FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS SNAGGED SOME OF THEM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 02:23 AM   #4
RSWORD

One sword caught my attention but I felt it would probably fetch too high a price for me to go for it and it did and as Bill shared the pictures are not that great online but the sword looked to be very similar to the Tipu Sultan sword pictured in Elgood's newest book. It had the same tiger pommel, tiger finials on the cross guard and also a tiger guard facing down the blade. Mounted with an European sword. From what I could tell in the pictures, I was a bit concerned with the casting on the hilt but the piece still went for $8K. Wasn't listed as a Tipu sword and if original may have been a sleeper.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 02:31 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs down

Add in the premium and you're talking almost 10K .
And how much does the auction house nick the consignor ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005, 03:22 AM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I BID ON THE AUCTION THRU THE INTERNET, 18 ABSENTEE BIDS NO WINS, MOST OF THE TIME ABSENTEE BIDS JUST GIVE THE AUCTIONEER A PLACE TO START AND FLOOR BIDDERS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE UNLESS SOMEONE PUTS IN A RIDUCULOUS BID OR NO ONE THERE WANTS THE ITEM.

I HAD BID ON THE TWO LOTS OF SPEARS, THE TWO WERE VERY GOOD QUALITY AND UNUSUAL TYPES, I THOUGHT THE FANCIER OF THE TWO MIGHT BE NAGA THE OTHER I WAS NOT SURE OF. THE GROUP OF 6 SPEARS WERE INTERESTING BUT MOST WERE FISHING OR HUNTING SPEARS AND ONE ODD THING THAT I COULDN'T TELL WHAT WAS FROM THE PICTURE. THERE WERE SOME NICE INDONESIAN WEAPONS OFFERED, I LIKED THE NIAS SWORDS AND SHIELD AND THE SUMATRA SWORD WITH RHINO HORN HANDLE AND HORNBILL GAURD CAME CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR. DID THE TEETH ON THE NIAS SWORD LOOK LIKE CROCODILE OR TIGER AS THEY WERE REPRESENTED?

THERE WERE SOME NICE ITEMS THERE I AM GLAD SOME FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS SNAGGED SOME OF THEM.
The teeth on the Nias Balato were crocodile.

I got all three lots of the spears. The big weird one goes to a tribal dealer.

The pair are probably Nias. The four Javanese seem to have some good pamor, but will need cleaning and staining. All the blades need staining and cleaning.

A very good friend who is also a dealer got the sumatra sword with the rhino handle and hornbill guard. That was an exceptionally nice piece. If I had not known he was bidding, I would have bid more.
Old 5th April 2005, 03:26 AM   #7
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Add in the premium and you're talking almost 10K .
And how much does the auction house nick the consignor ?
The auction house gets 20% from the consignor. for items under $2500 and slightly less for items over $2500.

17% if you are bidding there. 22% if you are bidding from eBay for the buyer.

They got 42% of the purchase price on some items that sold on eBay.

Good business being an auction house.
Old 5th April 2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Bill , a question .
How do the prices realized at Skinner's compare with prices realized on the same quality pieces on ebay ?
Lower , higher , about the same ?
Prices were all over the place.

The advantage was being able to actually see and hold the piece and then make a decision. There were some pieces I went to buy but passed on them when I actually saw them. There were others that looked much better than the pictures.

But it looked like the better pieces sold for more than the eBay people were willing to bid, probably because it was less of a gamble when you are there and can actually hold the item.

Except for a few dealers like Artzi and Charles Saunders, who are both knowlegeable AND honest, I consider most of eBay as a gamble.
Old 5th April 2005, 04:17 AM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

I THOUGHT THE TEETH WERE CROCKODILE BUT COULDN'T TELL FOR SURE, IT WAS INTERESTING SEEING THE OTHER EXAMPLE WHICH WAS MISSING ITS BALL TO SEE HOW IT WAS ATTACHED. BEING A COLLECTER AND NOT A SELLER I CAN'T BID SUCESSFULLY AGAINST DEALERS ON MOST LOTS AS I WON'T BE GETTING ANY MONEY BACK FROM SALES. THE AUCTION HOUSES HIGH CHARGES ALSO CAUSE MY BIDS TO BE LOWER FOR A ITEM, IF I CAN AFFORD $300.00 FOR IT I HAVE TO BID LESS THAN $300.00 ON IT AND STILL END UP PAYING THREE OR MORE. I DID HAVE FUN BIDDING AND DIDN'T RUN IT UP ON ANYONE AS MOST OF MY BIDS WERE NOT CLOSE TO THE TOP, I WAS HOPEING FOR A CRUMB THOUGH. I WOULD HAVE HAD TO HOCK MY COLLECTION IF I HAD WON ALL I BID ON
IT IS ALWAYS HARD TO BID YOUR TOP DOLLAR ON A ITEM YOU CAN'T SEE AND HOLD AND WITH THE HIGH AUCTION COMISSIONS AND DISCLAIMERS FROM A" SKINNER" WAS A BIT INTIMIDATING
SINCE RETIREMENT I AM VERY LOW END AND NO THREAT TO DEALERS OR COLLECTORS, BUT LOOK OUT IF I EVER GET SOME BIG MONEY
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2005, 05:38 AM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Rick:

You were probably wise not to bid on the "Tipu" sword. There are many attributed to him, but very few that are provenanced. I have been told that fake Tipu swords were produced in the 19th C. and sold with "papers" in Britain by unscrupulous bounders returning from their tours of duty in India.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 01:16 AM   #11
CharlesS

Red face

Thanks for the compliment above Bill, but I am no dealer. Ebay is just a venue for thinning out my collection from time to time. I am content to break even or occasionally make a profit, but profits are few and far between!! Thanks nonetheless!!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 06:49 AM   #12
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Thanks for the compliment above Bill, but I am no dealer. Ebay is just a venue for thinning out my collection from time to time. I am content to break even or occasionally make a profit, but profits are few and far between!! Thanks nonetheless!!!

I wish you were a dealer, Chuck.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2005, 12:02 PM   #13
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
You are certainly welcome. Keep on thining! If you ever decide to thin out that yataghan you had at Tomonium, let me know!
Old 8th April 2005, 03:06 PM   #14
CharlesS

(((Blushing!)))
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote