Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Arabian Sword Dances (And other dances!)

Just thought this will be interesting to post:

1- Najdi Ardha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9NgnthZu18 (best performance I found. So you think you can dance King Abdullah version.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgcYC...feature=fvwrel (this one is nice too)

2- Ardha Janoobiya - Southern Ardha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJVtc...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvaw...eature=related (Michael bin Jackson )

3- Ardhat Bisha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV7LlHVsPv4 (Videos on the side are not all viewer's friendly, so please avoid drifting into the darkside of Youtube.)

4- Ardha Qatariya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAa9S...eature=related

5- Ardhat Ala alZeer (Utaiba tribe, more on this later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v82vHdRz7-Q

6- Zamil of southern Arabia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhLu...eature=related

----

More will be added later, I dont claim to be an expert on these dances and do not know when they are done (as I am sure some of them are done in certain occasions, the Zamil for example.. as far as I know is done when 2 tribes meet)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 02:45 AM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
and do not know when they are done (as I am sure some of them are done in certain occasions
for sure

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 03:29 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
for sure

à +

Dom
...this surely has to be an illustration for a quiz question WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?....................
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
kronckew

us 'mericans also have a sword dance.

Bush Sword Dance

English sword dance note the flexible blades and lack of guards
Morris Dancers
Yorkshire long sword dancers
More, with some history

Scots version - somewhat more ostentatious & using real swords.

Edinburg Tattoo Sword Dance

russian version guardless swords...

Russian dance

Last edited by kronckew; 24th March 2012 at 11:02 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Devadatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew

russian version guardless swords...

Russian dance
Because they are cossack shashkas and were used far not only for dance during the history

I agree however that the particular swords in hands of the dancers in the video provided are modern-made theater/dance replicas, not authentic pieces of course. But they have historic battle-ready prototype.
Attached Images

Last edited by Devadatta; 24th March 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Devadatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
David R

Fascinating videos , I would love to know more about the context of these, ref. the stuff from the Islamic world. Re the UK, worth remembering that we lost so many young men in WW1 that for a generation the Morris dancing tradition was kept alive by womens teams, and so we may have lost some of the nuances of that form.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 06:57 AM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Fascinating videos , I would love to know more about the context of these, ref. the stuff from the Islamic world. Re the UK, worth remembering that we lost so many young men in WW1 that for a generation the Morris dancing tradition was kept alive by womens teams, and so we may have lost some of the nuances of that form.
we probably lost as many if not more in the flu plague/pandemic shortly after.

many of the silly looking traditions like morris dancing, may pole, hobby horse and such had darker and more martial aspects in the past.

modern living, occupational health and safety regs have had an even more deleterious effect. so have the greenies and animal rights groupies. it was noted in one of the uk videos that there were only 4 longsword dancing teams left in yorkshire out of many hundreds in the past.

(In the Bush dance i really like the swords he and the Saudi King were using. no dancing blades those.)
Old 26th March 2012, 01:09 PM   #8
A.alnakkas

Its not unusual to find over-polished clauberg blade on Ardha saifs.
Old 26th March 2012, 03:57 PM   #9
kronckew

Quote:
Its not unusual to find over-polished clauberg blade on Ardha saifs.
a lot of the more recently made 'dancing saifs' i saw in saudi were shiney with bling silver and gold mounts and scabbards, but looked like the blade was not really functional. guess the newer ardha participants like to show off a bit, as the thobe & gutrah is fairly standardised, i guess this is one way.

Bush's saif seems a bit more curved than the king's. wonder how sharp it was...

Probably would look better with an etch if it's damascus or wootz.
Most politicians like sparkly things; comes from putting a shine on everything they say...
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2012, 04:03 PM   #10
A.alnakkas

Hey,

I doubt Bush is wielding a wootz blade. Keep in mind that I even doubt he is wielding a clauberg.

At best, this could be a king Faisal era ardha saif as they were very faithful to the clauberg (named Gasat al Askari or Bu askari) BUT I did see the king Faisal saif's with older blades :P

The best sword I have seen in an Ardha was one I saw a few weeks ago here in Kuwait. Some Kuwaiti ambassador dancing with a persian wootz (most likely) blade with golden fittings.

As for the saudi guy, he is not the king.. but most of the images I found of King Abdullah he is usually wielding the recent ardha saifs which have slim but forged, flexible blades. Those blades looks exactly like the one wielded by Bush.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:09 PM   #11
kronckew

Quote:
Hey,

As for the saudi guy, he is not the king.. but most of the images I found of King Abdullah he is usually wielding the recent ardha saifs which have slim but forged, flexible blades.
i wasn't sure if he was or not. there were so many saudi princes, i get them all confused...

somehow i don't think GWB would even know what wootz is. certainly our current irishman o'bama wouldn't. (i've edited my post above a tad while you were posting .)
Old 26th March 2012, 04:10 PM   #12
A.alnakkas

Included are pictures of an Ardha badawi saif with a fake Clauberg stamp. The blade is forged but slim and flexible. This is very recent work done in Ta'if, I may get one soon as a dress sword with a crown stamp that says "made in france" :P
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2012, 04:15 PM   #13
A.alnakkas

Here is the "king Faisal era" ardha saifs, they could be earlier then king Faisal and they have forged and usable blades.
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2012, 04:20 PM   #14
A.alnakkas

Picture of a saif with an older blade and modern fittings (likely king Faisal or earlier)

This one is owned by ALEX and the previous one is owned by Eftihis.
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2012, 04:21 PM   #15
kronckew

sadly i did not manage to buy any saudi items when i was there. al khobar & dammam did not seem to have very many shops that carried anything beyond tarnished silver daggers then. i had a friend in dammam that probably could have located the real stuff for me, but back then i was not as knowledgeable & was more interested in getting a traditionally made katana in japan.

i love the fullers on the one ALEX has...

the only islamic-ish curved sword i own, i have no idea where or when it comes from...
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th March 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:32 PM   #16
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
sadly i did not manage to buy any saudi items when i was there. al khobar & dammam did not seem to have very many shops that carried anything beyond tarnished silver daggers then. i had a friend in dammam that probably could have located the real stuff for me, but back then i was not as knowledgeable & was more interested in getting a traditionally made katana in japan.

i love the fullers on the one ALEX has...

the only islamic-ish sword i own, i have no idea where or when it comes from...
When did you live in KSA? one of the best sword dealers in the gulf lives in Dammam ;-) he owns some Tulwars with wootz blades last time I checked but he doesnt have any badawi saifs.
Old 26th March 2012, 04:44 PM   #17
kronckew

Quote:
When did you live in KSA? one of the best sword dealers in the gulf lives in Dammam ;-) he owns some Tulwars with wootz blades last time I checked but he doesnt have any badawi saifs.
I was in Dhahran (Aramco of course) from 1980-87 & spent another year in Dammam in 1995 with M. Al-Mojil. part of the time with Aramco i was in Safaniyah as a project engineer on the desalting plant we were building there. drove up towards Kuwait one weekend and turned around a bit short of where the uniforms started getting a bit scary. that was as close as i got to Kuwait.

The last time in Dammam, i did spend a lot of time wandering around the souks, but I must either have missed seeing that dealer's shop somehow, or he was not in business then. i was working 10 hr days 6 days a week, so i was a bit worn out by the time i got some free time.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:00 PM   #18
A.alnakkas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o0P14p8Eew

Aldaha of Eniza tribe, the largest and one of the most prestigious of Arabian tribes.

The story behind the daha is that at some time a larger raid was about to attack Eniza. The men of Eniza being outnumbered (they were less in the past!) they came up with the idea of doing this dance. Their sounds were like that of a larger army so the attacking raid turned tail and escaped!

The men dancing infront of the row are taking the role that women used to do before. The women of the tribe would do that to remind the men that incase they lose, they will be taken by the invaders.
Old 12th July 2013, 02:34 AM   #19
A.alnakkas

Here is an old video and a chance to actually see someone who engaged in sword combat and has old warfare experience doing the ardha dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7orax704PqM

The elder in the middle (wearing red shmagh and golden egal) from 00:50 + is shaikh Abdullah alJaber AlSabah of Kuwait. He fought in the battle of alJahra in the early 20th century. Anyone with some experience in the dance will notice that he is infact leading and controlling the other dancers, something very rare in our time especially as the elderly people are passing away :-(
Old 17th September 2013, 05:11 PM   #20
A.alnakkas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfayu5r-Na4

This is an excellent video showing the Qatari variation of the Ardha.

Note at 0:50 it shows a glimpse of an art that seems restricted to Qatar and Bahrain called Mhayal. Its a duel in which the dancers try to knock eachother's egals (headband) using real sharp swords. I spoke about it with my Qatari friends and hoping to get a full video of it.
Old 21st September 2013, 04:24 PM   #21
Iain

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfayu5r-Na4

This is an excellent video showing the Qatari variation of the Ardha.

Note at 0:50 it shows a glimpse of an art that seems restricted to Qatar and Bahrain called Mhayal. Its a duel in which the dancers try to knock eachother's egals (headband) using real sharp swords. I spoke about it with my Qatari friends and hoping to get a full video of it.
Any word on that vid? Sounds interesting.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote