Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd April 2019, 02:25 AM   #1
Rafngard

Default A child's Gunong with a "French Ivory"? Pommel?

Hello All,

This gunong arrived in the mail today, an epray purchase.
It's a tiny one (7 inches in length, in scabbard), probably made for a child. I'd guess it's from the 1930s.

I'm not sure what the pommel is made from. The seller said bone, but I don't think so. I also don't think it's ivory. My best guess is "French ivory" which is an artificial, celluloid based "ivory," one of the first synthetic plastics (developed in the 1880s). The layers suggest this, but I'm not sure I've seen gunongs with pommels made of this material before. It's also possible that it was originally another material and what we're seeing is a later replacement.

Also on the hilt, the open work bulb is something I'm in love with. The bands (ferrules) on either side may be swassa (a gold/silver/copper alloy).

What do people think, am I on the right track, or totally off base?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Leif
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 02:27 AM   #2
Rafngard

Also, for size comparison, and not at all as an excuse to show family photos. The new one is second from the left
Attached Images

Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 04:31 PM   #3
mross

Nice family! The new one looks to be about the same configuration as the second from right.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Leif,
Looking at your photos of the blade it almost looks like it could be made of silver alloy. Maybe it's just color shift but with that high polish it has it just looks a bit different from the other blades.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Sajen

Hello Leif,

I think it belong to the same family as the small ones in down on this picture, it's the collection from Ron, once shown in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong
I own also such a gunong but with wooden handle. Also shown in the above thread. I think you are correct about the pommel material.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 01:47 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Leif:

Nice addition to your collection. I think 1930s or a little later would be about right for this one. The pictures that you show do suggest that the hilt could be made of celluloid rather than ivory. Small, readily concealed knives like this one were also carried by women, and are often quite nicely decorated (as yours shows).

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote