Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th January 2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default Can Indian Dealers Sell Antiques Out of the Country?

I have seen for a while some pieces from India that were newly made. Now I am seeing pieces that are antique but refurbished or seemingly truly in good condition. Originally I didn't think antique items were not allowed to be sent out of country, but am I now wrong in thinking this?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 06:52 PM   #2
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I have seen for a while some pieces from India that were newly made. Now I am seeing pieces that are antique but refurbished or seemingly truly in good condition. Originally I didn't think antique items were not allowed to be sent out of country, but am I now wrong in thinking this?
greetings any thing over 100 years old cannot be sent out of the country and anything of indian origin over 50 years old again cannot be exported,please search indian antiquities act in archeological survey of india[ASI] SITE ,CHEERS,AL OT OF FAKE INDOPERSIAN ARMS ARE MADE IN RAJASTHAN MOSTLY JODHPUR SO BEWARE WHAT YOU BUY
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 08:04 PM   #3
spiral

In UK the dealers in such things normally import such items in bulk in polished & cleaned condition, with cheap modern scabbards, imported with paperwork as reproductions, I am under the impression its illegal.

Others will know more.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:44 PM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Can you show us an example, I have seen some very convincing arms and armor being sold from Indian recently that were in my opinion very good reproductions.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

You could ask the Indian embassy, but you may know the answer beforehand.
About fourty years ago I was told by an Indian dealer, in Indian deity bronzes, that all export was forbidden.
I dont know the rules to day, but I have been told that a lot of things can hapen if you have money - so be careful what you do.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 01:00 AM   #6
ariel

There are scores of old, rusty, and often damaged tulwar and khanda handles.

Are you, guys, saying that they are also newly-made?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 06:12 AM   #7
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel

THE COLLECTORS IN INDIA ARE PAYING MORE LOCALLY FOR GENUINE INDIAN ARMS,ITS CHEAPER TO BUY GENUINE ARMS OF INDIAN AND INDO PERSIAN WEAPONS ABROAD IN AUCTIONS ,IMPORTING FROM INDIA WOULD BE A BIG HASSLE IF ITS AN ANTIQUE,ANY WEAPON IS BANNED FROM EXPORT,MOST GET EXPORTED AS HANDICRAFTS MOSTLY FROM RAJASTHAN,MANY ARE MADE TO LOOK OLD AND RUSTY,UNTILL 20 YEARS BACK ONE COULD PICK UP GENUINE GOOD STUFF,BUT NOW WITH THE WEALTH IN INDIA AND MORE KNOWLEDGE THANKS TO THE INTERNET GOOD WEAPONS ARE SOLD IMMEDIATELY BY DEALERS TO COLLECTORS.
ABOUT 6 YEARS BACK THE SWORD OF TIPPU SULTAN [LION OF MYSORE] SOUTHERN INDIA WENT ON AUCTION IN LONDON,IT WAS BOUGHT BY A WEALTHY INDIAN BUSSINESSMAN WHO COULD MANAGE TO EXPORT IT BACK TO INDIA AND PRESENTED IT BACK TO THE GOVERNMENT.ALL WEAPONS ON EBAY ETC ARE FAKE BEING SOLD AS INDO PERSIAN.I WOULD BE CAUTIOUS.,ONLY AN EXPERT COLLECTOR WOULD BE ABLE TO GET A GOOD BUY IF LUCKY AND MANAGE TO TAKE IT OUT OF INDIA
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 09:23 AM   #8
spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel

some are some are not... Each item needs to be appraised individually.

my above post was talking about the cleaned up complete tulwars one often sees, In the UK some dealers have them put them in new scabbards just to import as reproductions .

Of course in the 60s & 70s whole armoury's were cleared out & sold to the west by Mararajahs , I wonder whether that was officially illegal as well?
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2015, 10:30 AM   #9
Edward F

I travel to india twice a year it is against the law to sell antiques for export,most of the weapons you see in india are fake any way.
But your right I have seen items on ebay that are real.

If you have a conection with postal service you can get things out of county it may take time.You can use the local post master or the item can be put on a pack animal to a boardering country then shipped.The problem is if you find something good you have to pay a lot with no gaurentee of getting it out.Any stone artifact is forbidden for sale or export
Edward F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:48 PM   #10
David R

Reading all this, I am glad I picked up my stuff years ago before all these restrictions came in.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote