Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th February 2008, 12:57 AM   #1
katana

Default 3 More African Spears ...Congo ??

Hi
please could someone tell me the spears origin...I believe from the Congo. Sellers pictures below, interesting handle/spear butt.

OAL 57"-58"

Thank you

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Freddy

Arrow

Nice pieces, David.

The one with the bulbous shaft is definitively from Northwestern Congo. These were found amongst several tribes, such as : Ngbandi, Bati, Benge, Poto, Ngombe, Gens d'Eau.
Although I must say that the blade of this spear makes me think of another origin (So, Olombo and Lokele from Northeastern Congo). But it could well be that a Northeastern blade found its way to another area.

The one with the slender blade looks Eastafrican to me.

The third one is a bit of a puzzle. It has a strange blade. Did you buy these pieces ? If so, perhaps you could send some better pics when they arrive.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
katana

Hi Freddy ,
thank you for the reply.....your excellent knowledge of Congolese weapons has been very helpful The spear with the 'handle'....is this a stabbing type or ceremonial ? Yes I have bought them, once they have arrived I will certainly post better pictures / description.

Kind Regards David
Old 8th February 2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Freddy

Arrow

The one with the 'bulb' is defintively a thrusting spear. These were used to stab through the wicker shield of the opponent. This type of spear always has a very massive spearhead.

The blade type of your spear is somewhat different, but I wouldn't be bothered with that.

Here are some spear from my collection which have similar shafts.

I also added a couple of pics from the book 'Waffen aus Zentral-Afrika' (Weapons from Central Africa) from the Ethnographic Museum in Frankfurt am Main (Germany).

You can notice that these have the same 'butt'.

Old 8th February 2008, 07:59 PM   #5
katana

Thanks for the additional info Freddy,
very nice spears....I especially like the spear with the 'diamond' shaped butt.

David
Old 20th February 2008, 06:39 PM   #6
katana

Spears have arrived, very pleased with the thrusting spear, seems quite old. The other Congo spear is of all iron construction, heavy-ish and plain. I assume that this particular one is another thrusting type. The surface patina suggests great age and use, the entire shaft is forged (not re-bar) I can see no evidence that there were any bindings for a handle. The third spear is a nice light throwing spear with a very nice balance, and a nicely patinated wooden shaft.

Below are some pictures of the two Congo Spears.

I wondered whether the carving on the 'smaller' bulbous area had any significance to tribe or status......or perhaps Talismatic.

Comments / suggestions gratefully received

Regards David
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

Interesting all iron spear, I like very much. It suggests to me a currency spear rather than a weapon. Nice find.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 07:05 PM   #8
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Interesting all iron spear, I like very much. It suggests to me a currency spear rather than a weapon. Nice find.

Thanks Tim,
I think you could be right ..... a currency spear makes sense....do you know if currency weapons were made to be a certain weight or increments of a set value ?
Old 20th February 2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Freddy

Thumbs up

Interesting all iron spear. I have never seen one coming from Congo, but I'm still young (I think )

I looked it up in some of my books and I discovered the following information :

In 'Dodelijk mooi' (Deadly beauty) I found a (bad) picture of an all metal Congolese spear (page 73). According to the author it originates from the Popoi and/or Makere. These are tribes living in the vicinity of the Mangbetu (and also the Zande).
I'm not saying your spear is from one of these tribes, but these are the only ones I could discover who use all iron spears.
On page 51 in the general description of the different types of weapons, the author states : "the shafts (of the spears) are usually made from wood, but some rare examples exist made entirely of metal.

So, David, hang on to it !

In my collection, I have one all metal spear. This piece is from Kenya or Tansania. It comes from the Masaai. It's a spear used by uncircumcised boys when they watch over the cattle.
This spear resembles a long iron rod, with only the top end flattened to form the spearhead. In Christopher Spring's 'African Arms and Armour' there's a mention of such spears on page 112. There it is called 'esururu'.

I will try to post some pics later on this week
Old 20th February 2008, 09:40 PM   #10
katana

Thank you sooo much for your input Freddy Look forward to the pictures of your 'esururu'.

Kind Regards
Old 21st February 2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Freddy

Default 'esururu' as requested

Here are two pics. It's difficult to take a pic of the whole piece. It's about 1m70 long and consist mainly of a metal rod with a flattened head and leather handle.

Old 21st February 2008, 01:53 PM   #12
katana

Hi Freddy,
nice spear I have only one more 'all metal' spear which I posted awhile ago. It is one of my favourites.....as it is unusual and nicely crafted. I didn't realise you posted your 'esururu' before ...on the same thread as this 'other' spear.....

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=masai+spear

I have now found the possibillity that this one is likely from Angola or nearby .... caption for picture

Culture: NGUMBI(HUMBE, VAHUMBE)
Locale: BETWEEN CUNENE AND COPOROLO-TCHILENGES RIVERS
Material: METAL,HAIR,CORD
Dimensions: L:108 W:7.3 [in CM]
Attached Images

Old 25th November 2012, 09:13 PM   #13
asomotif

Just for later reference some pictures of my Ngbandi zaga.
Attached Images

asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote