Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2015, 05:11 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Is that a Sundang in Oliver Queen's hand?

I hazard to bring up such trivia in this important forum,but while watching the final season episode of "The Arrow," I almost fell out of my chair when Oliver Queen was dueling Ra's al Ghul and I believe they were both sporting Sundangs.I don't know if they were engaging in the proper forms of Eskrima, but I hope the swords don't become more expensive due to their exposure on this show !
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 07:54 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I happened to see that (which is weird because i don't usually watch the show). That was most certainly a modern made Moro style keris. Probably made by some company like Cold Steel. I'm not certain about what the other guy was using. I can tell you, though, that it look much more like they were fencing rather than using any form of Filipino martial art. If you want to see some proper form for the use of the Moro kris See if you can find a copy of Crossing the Sulu Seas.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 11:04 PM   #3
kronckew

it's a kris from 'traditional filipino weapons' in Connecticut. an excerpt with them & the 'arrow' fight is on their website home page (scroll down)
i have one from last summer: below, his model 5, which is the most traditional. they are not antique or even vintage. also have a visayan barong from him i ordered a few years before the others... and a dandao that came with the kris.

also on this: (scroll down again. also 2 more videos on ron's stuff.)

actually, Arrow uses two, the other guy starts out unarmed & takes one from him that he ultimately stabs arrow with. i had assumed it's a season finale, and a real cliff hanger - literally.

the ones in the video are the earlier straight model he sells. no luks & no seperate ganga on that one tho unlike mine. he's trying to get them made in more traditional styles, with mine as the result. it's also a 5160/d2 blend steel spec. & hair poppingly razor sharp. he makes a nice chinese dao too, well balanced, distal tapered razor. plain wood grip that you can wrap yourself or not... and a few other non-filipino weapons. all deadly & real, distinctively plain & functional, martial arts weapons.

i worked with him last summer (ron kosakowski) to get the UK border agency to accept the dandao as 'traditional and hand forged' to meet the current UK laws prohibiting curved blades over 50 cm. took me about 3 months with his help. a beurocratic knightmare! the dandao, kris #5 and a gigo stick were all in the same order & the broder agency threatened to confiscte the lot if we could not prove it was legal. luckily it was.

he unfortuneatly did not have any input into the shows. he does teach traditional filipino martial arts & has a number of interesting videos of his weapons being used, i assume correctly. see linky2

Linky2

he's got a lot more videos on youtube, search there on 'traditional filipino weapons'

p.s. - i'm just getting & starting series 1 on amazon prime. hope we get the other two as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 22nd May 2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Links to sales sites are against forum rules.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:13 PM   #4
kronckew

just like busses, wait & wait and three come along. ebay auction on a straight kris/kalis from the UK won by little ol' me about a half hr. ago. will post to ethnic forum. i now have 3 kris
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 03:03 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I saw that
Episode and yes those were modern made kris......
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote