Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2008, 12:25 AM   #1
apolaki

Default What is the consensus about this Kampilan?

GREETINGS,

I would like to know your thoughts regarding this Kampilan. What is the prognosis on its age, workmanship, designs, etc?

THANK YOU!

apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is a recent piece, probably made in Marawi City.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 03:48 AM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Sorry Apolaki, yet another piece made for "those who travel for pleasure".
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Henk

Apolaki,

Take our advice and read.

Don't worry. We have been enthousiastic too about every weapon we saw and made the mistake of spending our money on nothing. We learnt from our mistakes.
And we all do have some rememberances of those mistakes in a small dark corner of the atic.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Bill M

Sorry. Tourist piece.

I suggest that you make email friends with some of the people on this forum and ask their opinions before you buy. I want to stress that you do this privately and carefully. NEVER reveal your mentors as a buying technique with a seller.

I have had people ask my opinion on a piece. I'd tell them what I thought it was worth. They email the seller and tell him, "Bill Marsh said that this item was only worth $xxx and you should sell it to me for that low price!"

Then I get a nasty email from the seller AND I no longer communicate with the new collector who asked my opinion!

If I post a picture of an item I bought, I am happy to answer -- in private email -- what I paid. I may or may not reveal the Seller.

There is, I believe, a common mistake, that if you point out an auction in process to another forum member that they will then bid on the piece to your loss. I have not really found that to be the case.

If it is a good piece. People like me have probably already have seen it. If I have already made a decision to buy, I'd say that and not offer an opinion. BUT there are many good, basic, pieces for sale on eBay that I don't care about collecting because I have a drawer full of them already!

As you learn, there are subtle differences between good and bad. As you collect you begin to see these differences more clearly.

Don't be so foolish as to think that you have found a "sleeper" when you know little or nothing about a particular kind of item. "KNOWLEDGE MEETING OPPORTUNITY = LUCK!"

Otherwise you will likely have "Smart eBay seller meeting newbie with money!" There are plenty of these sellers around.

I have to admit that I still occasionally buy mistakes. This happens. I once thought of just selling them on eBay, but decided that some were so awful that I did not want to have my name connected with them. These go in the dumpster.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Bill seems to have put it quite nicely .

Many of us are glad to help via PM .

Also, use the forum archives search engine; it's the fast track to knowledge here .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 05:49 PM   #7
mross

Apolaki,
If you want to get some good pieces, patience is a virtue.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote