Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st November 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default New Maguindanao Kris Form

Greetings folks!

I just picked up this Maguindanao kris on eBay. The seller says it came from a WWII vet stationed in the Philippines. Unfortunately that is all he will say and the vet died.

In any case this kris has a silver dot near the tip on both sides. The blade is laminated, but what is amazing is what I found:

1. the ganga is solid silver

2. the front under the ganga is made of inserted silver with a copper tongue

3. the hilt weighs about a pound by itself

4. the hilt is made of solid cast/chased orange swassa (9k), cast/chased/filigree yellow gold (10k+), and silver

The Maguindanao label is based in part on the blade, in part on the scabbard (which I will have to make a new one since this one is in pieces and missing some pieces). However this unique hilt has never been documented or seen as far as I know, except for something similar in the hands of none other than Datu Piang.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here is the picture of Datu Piang with his similar kris in his hand on the right side of the picture.

I reposted the hilt of my kris for comparison.
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

WOW!!!! That's about all I can say right now. By the way, you owe me a new keyboard, drooled so badly on my other one it shorted out.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 09:51 PM   #4
CharlesS

Absolutely magnificent Battara! Saw it on Ebay and was afraid to take the plunge, but glad you did!

Looks like you have reset the hilt properly...it wasn't set correctly in the Ebay pics.

Oh my what a little polish and clean-up will do!!...it's an absolute treasure!

Karma, baby, karma!!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
kino

So you're the one with the deep pockets.
After all the polishing and etching, you underpaid considering the outcome.
Congrats on catching a nice sword.
It amazes me how you already have it and got it all spiffied up in such a short time.

Is the pommel wood or ivory under the silver?
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Inside the hilt there is a small and narrow wood core. The rest is heavy swassa and gold. Solid - no plating as far as I can tell. Thus no ivory. As I said earlier there are remnants of small casting bubbles in the thick heavy swassa.
Old 1st November 2013, 10:37 PM   #7
moose

Fantastic! Thanks for posting.
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh I forgot, here is a picture of how I get it before I did clean up and restoration. This picture also shows the original scabbard, which I shall replicate because this original scabbard is crumbling, splitting apart, and splintering. The scabbard bands are white metal (after polishing and testing).

Yes I was freaked when I saw it and saw the potential based on the patinas on the metals. I first thought it was cast silver, but was happily surprised when I polished it and tested it, discovering it to be pure cast swassa gold.

Also when I was polishing the blade, I noticed that the ganga was not a different steel but an altogether different metalthan the rest of the blade. So I tested that and it came out to be solid silver - looking like it is as high as sterling silver (92.5% pure silver).

I am very happy.....

if there are any other examples like this or like what is in Datu Piang's hands, please post here for our research and learning. Mine and his are the only examples of this type that I am aware.
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2013, 11:52 PM   #9
CharlesS

Jose,

What's going on with the blade just beneath ganja???...it looks like it wants to be a twist core. Does that pattern end abruptly?
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:12 AM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Wow, i was watching this as well, but didn't imagine those metals were involved. Great catch José. Congrats!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:12 AM   #11
Spunjer

Thumbs up

Yowza!!!! Now that's a score! Truly a rare piece if I may say so. Never saw a silver gangya before, and prolly won't see one again. And the handle; wow. Just wow. Echoing Charles' comment: is the blade twistcore? It looks it. Now regarding the scabbard... I realize it doesn't jive with the kris' s new look, but does it have to be discarded? I can see if it weren't original to the blade, but that poor thing has as much history as the kris itself
Talk about blast from the past: Moose n where the heck have you been??? Nice to see ya back, my friend
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:19 AM   #12
Ferguson

I couldn't be happier for you Jose. Congrats!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:30 AM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Regarding the pattern weld - no it does not end abruptly but it does not continue down the blade either. Kind of fizzles out really.

On the subject of the scabbard - I'm keeping the original scabbard! I just can't keep the kris in the scabbard without disintegrating the scabbard. I am keeping them separate, making a new one in the same fashion as the old one and wrapping the old one up for safe keeping and preservation.

By the way, I forgot what the talismanic meaning is behind the silver dot in the blade tip. Any ideas?
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:18 AM   #14
manteris1

a good shot, well done...................jimmy
manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 03:09 AM   #15
Spunjer

The resemblance between that and Datu Piang's kris is so uncanny. With all the bling associated with it, it might just be his, or a part of his personal collection...
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:47 AM   #16
Sajen

Hello Jose,

you are going to replace your stolen weapons with even better pieces! I have seen by the auction photos that it is a beauty but that it is so nice......

Maybe you should built up a scabbard like on the picture from Datu Piang, when not the same kris it will be the same manufacturer.

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 2nd November 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:55 AM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
The resemblance between that and Datu Piang's kris is so uncanny. With all the bling associated with it, it might just be his, or a part of his personal collection...
Oh I would love it if it were. That is why I was so disappointed when the seller told me that his contract with the family is not to divulge the identity of the previous owner.

When I first stumbled unto this kris, I remembered this picture of Datu Piang with his kris that has puzzled me for years. I have tried in vain to research his type of kris. No documentation, no example found, not even a type mentioned in Cato or anyone else.

So when I saw this, I knew that this was unique and perhaps the only other example known in the world (so far). I had to have it and restore it/clean it up and research it.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:57 AM   #18
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Jose,

you are going to replace your stolen weapons with even better pieces! I have seen by the auction photos that it is a beauty but that it is so nice......

Maybe you should built up a scabbard like on the picture from Datu Pinang, when not the same kris it will be the same manufacturer.

Regards,

Detlef
I thought about that, but decided that the new scabbard should be in keeping with the original spirit of the piece, as close to the old scabbard as possible.
Old 2nd November 2013, 11:16 AM   #19
VVV

Wow!!!

Great that you won it, Jose, and that it has so many hidden bonuses.
It was on my watch list, too but I was out and forgot to set my sniper.
I would never had suspected that the hilt was solid swassa…

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 02:32 PM   #20
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara

When I first stumbled unto this kris, I remembered this picture of Datu Piang with his kris that has puzzled me for years. I have tried in vain to research his type of kris. No documentation, no example found, not even a type mentioned in Cato or anyone else.
Datu Piang's kris is unique, but i don't think it's a different type. the pommel is the smaller abbreviated type sarimanok minus the tail and neck. what makes it looks so different is the way the wing-like protrusion is expressed by the craftsman; chased, rather than one solid piece. also the excellent ukkil presentation just above the ferrule. which makes me think it was done by the same craftsman who did Piang's kris on the photo.
really glad that you got it, tho, Jose. now that you posted the picture, it really answered a lot of questions on what was going on with the kris old man Amai Mingka (Piang) was holding. to compare those two is just amazing!!!
Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2013, 04:29 PM   #21
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

WOW!! AND THE MAGICIAN PULLS ANOTHER RARE TREASURE OUT OF HIS HAT. ITS GREAT WHEN KNOWLEGE, PERSERVERENCE, MONEY AND EXCEPTIONAL LUCK ALL COME TOGETHER FOR SUCH A GREAT FIND. IT COULDN'T HAPPEN TO A NICER GUY. CONGRADULATIONS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:28 PM   #22
kino

Quote:

1. the ganga is solid silver
2. the front under the ganga is made of inserted silver with a copper .
Battara, I have a kris with similar characteristics as above. I wonder how common they were. Ibeam had posted a photo of his Kris with a copper(?) ganya. I wonder what purpose a non ferrous metal ganga serves; talismanic or just purely decorative?
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thank you so much folks. Your support after what happened to me this summer moves me. I thank you all.

Kino, that is a good question. I too think it is talismanic, but the meaning escapes me.

Spunger, I agree that the same craftsman who did this kris did Datu Piang's too. Another reason I am excited about this piece and the connection to Piang.

Just to be clear, the gold band that you circled is in fact both solid, chased, and filigreed - all the above. Also the section circled is also made of 2 parts, both solid. The large section of yellow gold is cast and chased, welded to the swassa. The other part is a band of yellow gold that is cast, chased, and filigreed, not welded but held in place with by wrapped silver wire.

Now as far as the sarimanok is concerned, I will study this further.
Old 3rd November 2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Spunjer

Quote:

ok, lemme go slow on this one...

as far as the handle, the shape is similar to this one:
Attached Images

Old 3rd November 2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Spunjer

...on the picture posted above, notice how the tail part and the front part are blunt. here's the same picture, encircled this time. and also a picture of your Piang's kris, encircled at the same spots. i also added another kris that has similar designed pommel.
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 3rd November 2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 3rd November 2013, 02:44 PM   #26
Spunjer

now moving on to the part i mentioned yesterday. clearly we're talking two different things. first of all you mentioned that you have not seen this type of kris before, hence me posting those pictures just above this post to show a handle that is similar type. now granted the example for comparison i've given is not gold, filigreed, chased, solid etc. but rather it's made out of ivory, but the point is, the overall design is similar: blunt front and blunt back

Quote:

Just to be clear, the gold band that you circled is in fact both solid, chased, and filigreed - all the above. Also the section circled is also made of 2 parts, both solid. The large section of yellow gold is cast and chased, welded to the swassa. The other part is a band of yellow gold that is cast, chased, and filigreed, not welded but held in place with by wrapped silver wire.

Now as far as the sarimanok is concerned, I will study this further.
now, going back to the part i encircled yesterday...
i can clearly see how your piece is made out of, jose. it's excellently ornated, but that's not what i'm saying. what i've done on the pictures provided is draw a line around the part i'm trying to describe. notice on both ivory pieces, the wing-like appendage is solid, not stylized. on your piece it's rather stylized, in ukkil fashion i might add, to the point they're feather like.

your piece solved the mystery of Datu Piang's kris, my friend. i've always wondered what's up with all those lines and wiggles. now we know it's a very blinged out pommel!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 3rd November 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 3rd November 2013, 03:11 PM   #27
CharlesS

Spunjer,

Interesting comments all around. I think normally we look at blunted ivory pommels as potentially damaged. Perhaps we should be more careful in our examination.

Had I seen the one with a silver sleeve with no further explanation, I would instantly have assumed the hilt was more Malay than from the Philippines. That silver sleeve looks Malay through and though to me. Of course the blade would have to have something to do with it and it appears to have a Moro style cloth tassel. Is the okir work there exclusively Moro?
Old 3rd November 2013, 03:46 PM   #28
Maurice

Quote:
By the way, I forgot what the talismanic meaning is behind the silver dot in the blade tip. Any ideas?
Wow what a nice kris you have found Jose. Congrats with this beauty!
I don't know what the silver dot in the blade tip means, and I'm also curious if somebody find something out about it in the future.

I have a mandau with one dot in the middle which is all through the blade, and four dots around the central dot like a square, inlaid in only one side of the blade and not going all through the blade.
Though dots in mandaublades are not uncommon, it's strange to have them on a mandaublade situated like these.
As the dayaks has other beliefs as the moro's, I don't think the solution of the meaning of such dot will be applicable for both swords.
But I thought it would be a nice side addition to show the images here...

Maurice
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 04:04 PM   #29
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Spunjer,

Had I seen the one with a silver sleeve with no further explanation, I would instantly have assumed the hilt was more Malay than from the Philippines. That silver sleeve looks Malay through and though to me. Of course the blade would have to have something to do with it and it appears to have a Moro style cloth tassel. Is the okir work there exclusively Moro?
charles, the kris in question is moro. here's a link to a full body shot:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...miniature+kris
Old 3rd November 2013, 05:24 PM   #30
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
charles, the kris in question is moro. here's a link to a full body shot:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...miniature+kris

No doubt Spunjer, it's definitely Moro. Once I saw the whole thing I remember we have looked at that one together.

Sorry to have temporarily strayed from the initial thread topic.