Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th February 2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Ahad K.

Default Sword signed as Amal-e-Asadullah - Asda (Need Information)

Hello friend,
I am presenting an antique sword in original condition, stamped or signed as Amal-e-Asadullah - Asda.
History says Hazrat Ali (RA) was prominent at the Battle of Uhud, as well as many other battles where he wielded a bifurcated sword known as Zulfiqar. He had the special role of protecting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) when most of the Muslim army fled from the battle of Uhud and it was said "There is no brave youth except Ali and there is no sword which renders service except Zulfiqar." He was commander of the Muslim army in the Battle of Khaybar. Following this battle Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) gave Hazrat Ali (RA) the name Asadullah, which in Arabic means "Lion of Allah" or "Lion of God". Hazrat Ali (RA) also defended Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the Battle of Hunayn in 630.
I think this sword is not related to Asfahani Sword "the work of Assadullah of Isfahan".
According to the tradition of the Islam, the Prophet Muhammad has two swords. The first was a straight blade sword, common to the period, which is now shown in the Topkapi Palace Museum, Istanbul.
The second sword is believed to have a split blade. It was given to Hazrat Ali (RA), the Prophet son in low, who fought with it many great battles and seen great victories. The sword was nicknamed*Zulfikar* (Lord of cleaving).
This sword is lost, and no one really knows what was its shape.
Many attempts to describe the Zulfikar have been made during the development of Islamic swords.
Is this sword belongs to Hazrat Ali (R.A), Any idea?
Attached Images

Ahad K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 04:50 PM   #2
A.alnakkas

Salam Ahad,

This says "Amal Assadullah Asfahani" or work of Assadullah of Asfahan. This sword is 17th to 19th century most likely so no, it did not belong to Imam Ali (RA)

The name Assadullah is used to this day especially in Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

You have a nice sword, but you are aiming too far in the past with its attribution. I would also point that the inscription is not an authentic Assadullah inscription, its crude so likely made later on the blade. Its still a very good sword.
A.alnakkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 08:03 PM   #3
AhmedH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahad K.
Hello friend,
I am presenting an antique sword in original condition, stamped or signed as Amal-e-Asadullah - Asda.
History says Hazrat Ali (RA) was prominent at the Battle of Uhud, as well as many other battles where he wielded a bifurcated sword known as Zulfiqar. He had the special role of protecting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) when most of the Muslim army fled from the battle of Uhud and it was said "There is no brave youth except Ali and there is no sword which renders service except Zulfiqar." He was commander of the Muslim army in the Battle of Khaybar. Following this battle Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) gave Hazrat Ali (RA) the name Asadullah, which in Arabic means "Lion of Allah" or "Lion of God". Hazrat Ali (RA) also defended Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the Battle of Hunayn in 630.
I think this sword is not related to Asfahani Sword "the work of Assadullah of Isfahan".
According to the tradition of the Islam, the Prophet Muhammad has two swords. The first was a straight blade sword, common to the period, which is now shown in the Topkapi Palace Museum, Istanbul.
The second sword is believed to have a split blade. It was given to Hazrat Ali (RA), the Prophet son in low, who fought with it many great battles and seen great victories. The sword was nicknamed*Zulfikar* (Lord of cleaving).
This sword is lost, and no one really knows what was its shape.
Many attempts to describe the Zulfikar have been made during the development of Islamic swords.
Is this sword belongs to Hazrat Ali (R.A), Any idea?
Salaams Ahad!

I'm with al-Nakkas here. For information about the original Dhu'l-Faqar, please read my article here; which I posted in this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=17804&page=1

Please enjoy!

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein
AhmedH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 04:16 AM   #4
AJ1356

What the others have mentioned is correct, it is too hopeful to date this the way you are dating it.
The title Assadullah was that of Hamza (ra) the uncle of of the Prophet, the title of Imam Ali (ra) was Saifullah.
Assadullah Isfahani, was one of the best swordsmiths of the Safawid dynasty.
AhmadH has a really good write up on the Zulfiqar.
Do a few searches and read up some of the posts, this forum is full of good information. and welcome to the forum.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Ahad K.

Default What is the meaning of the word اصضا is?

Assalam, Its my pleasure to joining the forum. Thank you A.alnakkas, AhmedH and AJ1356 for your info and comments, I appreciate and yes I have started reading the web page http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showt...?t=17804&page=1, for further information, my pleasure and many more related sites.
Can you friends tell me what اصضا stands for? The google translation detected this word as a Persian word but i didn`t find its meaning yet.
Old 26th February 2014, 04:52 PM   #6
A.alnakkas

Salam Ahad,

It is not اصضا it is اصفهان but the noon ن placed on top next to Assadullah. This is common in calligraphy.
Old 26th February 2014, 05:41 PM   #7
A.alnakkas

Ahad: email me at AAlnakkas(at)gmail(dot)com I'll email you some things that will help you.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:48 AM   #8
ariel

Based on the very long ribbed lower scabbard fitting, I would think at least the scabbard is Afghani, 19th century. The rest is not far from there, IMXO. The screw on top of the pommel and the crudely cut triangular spaces for langets on the scabbard suggest recent renovations and repairs. God only knows what parts were added.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Ahad K.

Default Origin of the sword

I didn`t found the origin of the sword yet.
Old 27th October 2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Ahad K.

Default It is the work of Asadullah of Isfahan, Iran.

1. Yes I believe that this sword didn`t belong to Hazrat Ali (RA), you are right.
2. but Can you tell us that "What is authentic Assadullah inscription"? I think you only value gold inlaid inscriptions. I hope, if you remove the gold from inlaid inscription, they will look alike (crude etc).
3. I am 99 percent sure that The maker of this sword is Asadullah of Isfahan, Iran, no doubt, the remaining 1 percent remains for Lab certificate.
4. There are lots of Forensic labs which can accurately find out its age and its inscription instead of your comment "its crude so likely made later on the blade"
And why Mr. Asadullah of isfahan, Iran made its inscription crude on this sword, to get this answer i need a time machine to go back to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Salam Ahad,

This says "Amal Assadullah Asfahani" or work of Assadullah of Asfahan. This sword is 17th to 19th century most likely so no, it did not belong to Imam Ali (RA)

The name Assadullah is used to this day especially in Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

You have a nice sword, but you are aiming too far in the past with its attribution. I would also point that the inscription is not an authentic Assadullah inscription, its crude so likely made later on the blade. Its still a very good sword.
Old 28th October 2014, 08:47 AM   #11
ariel

Well, if you are sure, why would we try to dissuade you? Please continue to believe.

On my end, I know that Assadulla was famous for his sophisticated wootz pattern, of which there is not a trace here; that there are hundreds of blades bearing his name and dated as late as 19th century; and that all blades attributed to the real Assadulla bear extremely elegant inscription, which is not the case here.

You believe it is a real Assadulla, I believe it is a very late imitation. Each one keeps his own opinion. Sounds good?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote