Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default Takouba posted for regihis

Takouba posted for regihis, purchased on ebay, described as a tulwar with the provenance "this was a US Veteran brought back sword- the veteran was stationed CBI (China, Burma India)"...
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Iain

Seems to be Tuareg. The forte is somewhat odd, it seems to be an imitation of the re-enforcing plates sometimes seen in Tuareg swords, but this particular sword looks to be a solid piece with decorative imitations rather than plates.

The dukari half moons appear well executed. It is possibly a shortened blade.

I would be interested to see closeups of the hilt, particularly the pommel, I assume it is the usual stacked type, but a closeup would help to ascertain quality and age.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Received from regihis:
Attached Images

Old 6th February 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Iain

The leather was obviously refreshed fairly recently and the mounts are not particularly old, however I feel the blade may have some age to it. The piece as a whole is probably not earlier than the 1940s-50s, what do you think Lee?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

I am sorry that I missed this previously. Iain, I think your estimate of the date of assembly of the current form is correct - the scabbard is not new, but also not ancient. The blade will surely be 19th century if not slightly earlier and the hilt and its leather also shows some age that could also extend back into the 19th century. The leather ages quickly in the harsh environment and may appear deceivingly old. These swords will usually have been refurbished on multiple occasions. But this example surely appears to be the genuine article and not a recent 'tourist special.'