Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th June 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
The Double D

Default My apologies to the board

Apparently even though there is no rule agains't it there has been a long standing tradition on this board that pricing will not be discussed in any way shape or form.

I have violated that unwritten rule and have been chastized publicly and privately for my actions.

I sought no appraisals for the knives I posted questions about. I have no interest in them. I was merely trying learn not only what they where but what it might cost me if I were to take up collecting these type knives. This experience has thrown cold water on my ardor.

For those of you who were kind enough to respond to my inquiries thank you very much for helpfulness.

I will retire from this board and again apologize for the disruption

Douglas Dickens
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy

Oh come on now Douglas , no reason to leave ... really !
You are quite welcome here .
We have all sinned .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 10:27 PM   #3
katana

Hi DD.
I did a similar thing myself..... and was 'told off' .
DD, you talk of learning.... just put this down to a learning experience. I was surprised to find out that a few of the regular contributors have been penalised far greater than you.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 10:37 PM   #4
MABAGANI

only a minor penalty...nothing offensive or immature like the other DD ebay thread lolz...stick around you're okay
MABAGANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 11:11 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs down

IF A FELLOW SAYS HE WANTS TO LEARN AND ASKS FOR INFORMATION AND RECEIVES THAT INFORMATION AND ALSO RECEIVES THE INFORMATION THAT WE DON'T SUPPLY FREE APRASIALS OF ITEMS BUT THAT PERHAPS HE COULD GET THAT INFORMATION ALSO THRU P.M. AND A DIRECTION TO A SITE THAT HAS PRICES. I WOULD CONSIDER THAT HE HAS BEEN WELL TREATED EVEN IF HE HAD NOT BEEN WELCOMED BY MEMBERS AND MODERATORS WHICH HE WAS. TO THEN SAY HE WAS NOT INTERESTED IN THOSE ITEMS ANYWAY AND WILL NEVER POST AGAIN AND HINT HE PROBABLY WILL NOT COLLECT AS A RESULT IS SILLY. RECENTLY WE HAVE HAD TWO SUPPOSIDLY NEW MEMBERS, ONE WHO DID HIS BEST TO ANTAGONIZE MEMBERS AND THEN REPLYED WITH VENOM AND DEMANDED AN APOLOGY, AND THEN DISSED THE FORUM AND SAID HE WOULD NO LONGER POST. NOW WE HAVE A SECOND INCIDENCE OF SOMEONE TRYING TO ACT LIKE HE IS THE OFFENDED PARTY DOES THIS INDICATE THAT IT IS THE SEASON OF THE TROLL? I HOPE NOT AS I DON'T WANT TO WASTE MY TIME ON SUCH DUMB BEHAVIOR!!

IF YOU TWO ARE SERIOUS ABOUT LEARNING, COLLECTING, SHAREING INFORMATION AND HAVING FUN YOU ARE WELCOME HERE BUT IF YOU ARE ONLY INTRESTED IN BEING A <"*^# PAIN THEN PLEASE TAKE YOUR GAMES ELSEWHERE!! I AM NOT A MODERATOR SO CAN SAY THIS ,I MIGHT GET A REPRIMAND BUT I FEEL IT NEEDS TO BE SAID WE DON'T NEED TO WASTE WEB SPACE AND TIME ON NONSENSE UNLESS IT IS FUN OR INFORMATIVE.

I AM NOT ONE TO MAKE SUCH A POST AS THIS AND USUALLY TRY TO THROW WATER ON FIRES AND DEBATES BUT I AM NOT VERY PATIENT WITH THIS TYPE OF THING, NEVER DID LIKE THE KID WHO TOOK HOME HIS BALL IF EVERYTHING DIDN'T GO HIS WAY. OR PERHAPS ITS THE SEASON OF THE GROUCH!

Last edited by VANDOO; 30th June 2006 at 11:22 PM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 11:21 PM   #6
ariel

Come on, Douglas, no need to self-flaggellate!
You asked a question you were not supposed to out of naivete, the moderators noticed it and prevented further infractions.
That's all.
Normal occurence, no feathers ruffled, no problemo.
Calm down and be good!
Best wishes.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Double D
Apparently even though there is no rule agains't it there has been a long standing tradition on this board that pricing will not be discussed in any way shape or form.

Douglas Dickens
DD

From the "sticky" post at the top of the forum that says "Please read before you post: Forum Rules, Guidelines and Features"

8. APPRAISALS

Public appraisals are not permitted on these fora. However, if you would like an appraisal of an item's value or market conditions, please request that other members contact you with that information via email or PM.

That's the rule. Everyone seemed civil. You are welcome to stay and enjoy.

Steve Ferguson
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 05:08 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Douglas:

I do hope that you will decide to stay and participate.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 04:21 PM   #9
The Double D

After looking around the internet trying to get the answers I sought, I find myself back here. I found that I got all the answers to the questions I asked here, except one...cost!

Most of the answers were also found around the internet but not all in one spot like found here. The issue of cost was also illusive. There is just too many variables and a great deal of diversity in knives for me to feel comforatable getting involved.

I'm no troll, but I don't intend to jump in the water with the sharks. So I will stick to a field I have a little better understanding of and access to...East African spears. I will stay away from the knives.
Old 11th July 2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

HHmmm spears
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Double D

I have violated that unwritten rule and have been chastized publicly and privately for my actions.

I sought no appraisals for the knives I posted questions about. I have no interest in them. I was merely trying learn not only what they where but what it might cost me if I were to take up collecting these type knives. This experience has thrown cold water on my ardor.

For those of you who were kind enough to respond to my inquiries thank you very much for helpfulness.

Douglas Dickens
Douglas:

I apologized for my abrupt posts both publically and privately in a PM you have yet to read.

This really isn't a very big deal. I do hope you'll stick around.

Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 04:45 PM   #12
VANDOO
(deceased)

WELCOME BACK THIS IS A VERY GOOD PLACE TO LEARN ABOUT MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF WEAPONS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD AND BEST OF ALL YOU RECEIVE VALUABLE INFORMATION FOR FREE. I CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR FRUSTRATION ON NOT GETTING INFORMATION ON PRICE AND NOT BEING ABLE TO ASK ADVICE OPENLY ON A ONGOING EBAY AUCTION YOU WOULD LIKE TO BID ON. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ASK THOSE KINDS OF QUESTIONS BUT PERHAPS YOU CAN MAKE THE CONNECTIONS WITH OTHER FORUM MEMBERS AND EMAIL THEM WITH SUCH QUESTIONS. I HAVE ALWAYS JUST HAD TO GO WITH WHAT I THINK SOMETHING IS WORTH TO ME PERSONALLY. OFTEN I AM WAY TOO LOW CONSIDERING WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO PRICES AND I REMEMBER WHAT PRICES WERE BEFORE EBAY AND FIND THAT TWICE THAT PRICE IS OFTEN NOT ENOUGH TO OUTBID SOMEONE WITH NO FEEDBACK. I DON'T COLLECT FOR INVESTMENT I COLLECT WHAT I LIKE , I HAVE MADE MANY MISTAKES AND GOT A FEW VERY GOOD DEALS AND AM STILL LEARNING AFTER 40 YEARS. WHERE I HAVE THE LEAST KNOWLEGE IN COLLECTING IS HOW TO PRICE ITEMS, PERHAPS I NEED TO TAKE A COURSE IN DEALING. SORRY I WAS SO GROUCHY BUT CERTIAN THINGS DO RUB ME THE WRONG WAY. I HOPE TO SEE SOME PICTURES OF YOUR SPEARS AND TO SEE SOME MORE QUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK COLLECTING
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Douglas

Rather than stay away from knives one way to get a general idea of value is to search completed auctions on Ebay using the name for each knife identified by the membership here .
This isn't a totally foolproof method as some pieces end up selling for inflated prices on Ebay ; but it's a decent way to get a general idea of what to offer the seller .
Old 11th July 2006, 05:26 PM   #14
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
DD

From the "sticky" post at the top of the forum that says "Please read before you post: Forum Rules, Guidelines and Features"

8. APPRAISALS

Public appraisals are not permitted on these fora. However, if you would like an appraisal of an item's value or market conditions, please request that other members contact you with that information via email or PM.

That's the rule. Everyone seemed civil. You are welcome to stay and enjoy.

Steve Ferguson
Steve, in Douglas' defense, I only added that language after he brought to my attention that it was absent from the "Rules" thread.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 08:23 PM   #15
The Double D

For the sake of clarification I never asked for an appraisal on anything. Reread my posts. I was asking what kind of prices one could expect to pay for those types of knives.

An appraisal would have asked what the specific value the particular knife would be.

I see a difference.

Enough said.

I'll stick to spears...like the Iklwe that I got last week and the two more I pick up tomorrow.
Old 11th July 2006, 08:30 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Rather than stay away from knives one way to get a general idea of value is to search completed auctions on Ebay using the name for each knife identified by the membership here .
This isn't a totally foolproof method as some pieces end up selling for inflated prices on Ebay ; but it's a decent way to get a general idea of what to offer the seller .
Did you miss this post ?
Old 11th July 2006, 10:10 PM   #17
Mark

Another good way to get a feel for value is once you have found a few completed auctions with what you are looking for, and see perhaps one that sticks out as being very high or very low, post a link here and get people's comments on it. Discussions such as that generally do not run afoul of our unwritten (well, I guess written now ) rule against talking money, since they come down to "great deal for the buyer" or "great deal for the seller."

I think the practice of not talking $$ here grew out of all of our frustration with those occasional incidents when someone came to the forum only to get a free appraisal of something, so they can then sell it for as much as possible on e-bay or somewhere. It sort of makes you feel used. Personally, I have had a couple people take my helpful (sometimes charitable) comments about the value and general worth of a piece and use them almost, but not quite, verbatum in an e-bay auction - my speculations about age, value, etc. became the word of an "expert," and charitable reassurance that the thing wasn't a total piece of crap became assurance it was a rare antique. I think once the forum was even mentioned specifically in an auction as having somehow endorsed the authenticity or age of something.

Anyway, clearly you did not come for that, and that was not the nature of your post, DD. I, too, hope that you stick around to enjoy, learn, and teach.

PS: Andrew was just grumpy before because he needed a vacation, but he is OK now.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote