Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2011, 07:28 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Kaskara with French Inscription

Now here is something I've never seen before. We have seen quite a few with Arabic inscriptions but nothing like this - a vertical inscription in French. The blade is marked with W. Clauberg and the standing Knight mark - after 1847. There is also what might be a representation of a woman with long hair.

Reading down, the inscription appears to say:

"Envin orguette dans l'espace une ami soeur qui passe sont ils perdus"

...which doesn't make a lot of sense but it's quite hard to read in places.

For all I know it's a well known text - it might have been inscribed by someone who copied it without understanding it. The way in which the words are broken up supports this.

I haven't done much in the way of transcription, only picked out odd words.

So, how does a (quite old) Kaskara get to have a French inscription? If it was put on post capture the only French speakers serving with the Gordon Relief Expedition were the Canadian Voyageurs...
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 18th May 2011 at 11:46 PM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
dennee

Many European trade blades in North Africa.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

It is indeed unusual to see a French blade in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, however there was a degree of French presence there, not to mention of course and obviously to the west. The so called 'Fashoda Incident' in what is now Kodok took place in 1898, and though settled diplomatically between the British and French over these territories, the distinct presence of French forces in the regions over a considerable period cannot be discounted.
Clauberg of Solingen was of course a known provider of blades to the French in the second half 19th century.

The guard on this is 'old' but most likely of early 20th century. These blades were remounted many times and the blade may have been handed down for generations.

Dennee, crossed posts, but excellent observation, the European blades were well established there as well as serving as prototypes for native made versions.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It is indeed unusual to see a French blade in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, however there was a degree of French presence there, not to mention of course and obviously to the west.
Yes Jim
even, a sensible degree for French presence, in Egypt, and Ethiopia (1897),
i.e. the railways in both countries, were erected by French engineers
- Clot Bey ( 1793 - 1868) was a famous medic during the time of Paşa Méhémet Ali
- Süleyman Paşa (17881 - 1860.), former French officer from Napoleon army, who became Egyptian army Chief (1833)
- I remember have saw in Railways museum Cairo, a picture for a man, and his name was "Abdallah Al Fransawi (the French) Bey"

in that time, every body was armed, either because it was part of the uniform for their functions, per "prestige" or per necessity, to warranty in own security
nothing strange to find in Egypt/Sudan/Ethiopia/Somalia, sword blades from Europe, or even from France

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 04:05 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Dom,
Thank you so much for adding more on the French presence in these areas, and absolutely, nothing unusual in seeing the weapons used by the French of course in degree in these areas. I think perhaps better worded would be, unusual to see French blades in kaskara.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Iain

The only thing I can add to this, is the possibility this could be from the French action and following Colonial period in Chad (1891-1920s)? The type would certainly used in those areas. That seems more logical to me than anything to do with the British Sudan.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 03:45 PM   #7
yuanzhumin

Only by reading I think there is a mistake in the transcription: in fact, it should be 'une ame soeur' ( 'a sister soul' in English) not 'une ami soeur' (that doesn't mean anything). May be if there are other such mistakes corrected, the text would mean something.
Best
Nicolas
yuanzhumin is offline   Reply With Quote