Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2005, 03:43 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Question Long Philippine Swords

Would either one of these swords be classified as a "sansibar"? The top sword on the left is two pictures of the same sword. It is 27-7/8 inches long, 3/8 inch at the hilt and 1-1/2 inches wide at its widest. The blade is V ground. The first 9 inches from the tip back on the top edge of the blade is sharpened. The second sword (the one on the right and bottom picture of grip) I haven't received yet and all I really know for sure on measurements is the length, 28 inches. The second one reminds me alot of one other sword that I have but is much longer. Any and all information on these swords will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 1st December 2005 at 04:16 AM.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:16 AM   #2
LabanTayo

I'll let themorningstar answer this one......
Old 1st December 2005, 05:41 AM   #3
themorningstar

wow! great swords.... now i know who sniped them from me...

might be a sansibar... might be a pinuti... possible sundang... maybe a talibong... hmmm, might even get away with calling it a binasbad... some might just say patalim....

nah... it's a sundang...
Old 1st December 2005, 05:52 AM   #4
LabanTayo

looks like a very long gunong....or pedang....maybe some indo influence....or spanish..maybe an espada.
espada largo....thats what it is. i think.
now knowing what our train of thought on deciding what a to call a sword, it should be easier to figure out what the name is.
Old 1st December 2005, 05:57 AM   #5
zelbone

...it's a bolo!
Old 1st December 2005, 07:02 AM   #6
zamboanga

here is a link about sansibar swords:

http://www.cebueskrima.s5.com/photo5.html
Old 1st December 2005, 07:06 AM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Red face More confused than ever ...

So the experts on Visayan swords are stumped to name this one!

I was hoping to learn more from the questions posed by Robert. I guess I'm left even more confused by the terms that have come and gone, and come again. Is there any sensible way of describing these swords, other than calling them Visayan "swords?"

Does one have to born locally to know the code for what to call the various styles and forms? If so, is there anyone on this forum who can reasonably contribute to that discussion, or are we left with the position that talibong or sundang (or some other generic term for "sword" in one of the local dialects) is as close as we can get?

That seems unsatisfactory to me and I hope our Filipino forumites can shed some light on a rational nosology for these swords ... If not here, where else will we gain such information?

Ian.
Old 1st December 2005, 08:56 AM   #8
MABAGANI

They look like runt of the mill pig stickers. If you're going to snipe do you honestly think someone's going to give information. Recently, ebay has been leaving a bitter taste in the mouth, when Filipino sword collectors from the forum find sleepers that get sniped by another member. In the early days of ebay, a few hardcore collectors at least had the courtesy to email so we wouldn't have to pay more than we had to and that was before we were members of this forum. So now those $9.99 bolos worth less than a $100 are going for some over inflated prices. Such is life, I'm abandoning ebay again and going back to the dealers.
Re: names- do your own research and you'll feel more confident about what to call them, I like Zonneveld's lead, multiple labels depending on the locale, its the same with Filipino swords if you're still confused and want obvious answers.

Last edited by MABAGANI; 1st December 2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 1st December 2005, 01:11 PM   #9
BSMStar

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
So the experts on Visayan swords are stumped to name this one!

Does one have to born locally to know the code for what to call the various styles and forms? If so, is there anyone on this forum who can reasonably contribute to that discussion, or are we left with the position that talibong or sundang (or some other generic term for "sword" in one of the local dialects) is as close as we can get?

Ian.
Ian, sometimes the answers are not all easy. Sometimes the question will form its own answer and it may not be the answer one expects. I have seen these swords travel through different hands and they are indeed called by different names.

I have a deep respect for the experience and knowledge of themorningstar, LabanTayo and zelbone (and many others). It may be more meaningful to ask if anyone would call it a sansibar? Otherwise, I would have to agree with their answers.
Old 1st December 2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unanswered question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSMStar
It may be more meaningful to ask if anyone would call it a sansibar? Otherwise, I would have to agree with their answers.
BSMStar:

I think that is exactly what Robert asked in the first sentence of his post: "Would either one of these swords be classified as a "sansibar"?" I don't think he really received an answer so far to that question.

Ian.
Old 1st December 2005, 03:06 PM   #11
BSMStar

Default Just trying to keep it honest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Would either one of these swords be classified as a "sansibar"?
Just trying to keep things honest Ian. The original question was not if someone (meaning what Region) would classify it, it was more of a generic question if the sword would be classified as a sansibar.

The supplied link by zamboanga (great link!) even added the word bolo (great call zelbone). So is it a sansibar? A sansibar bolo? One can go on and on repeating the earlier names.....

We have to step out of our western mind set and see these objects in their local setting and culture(s). The issue for us is that they indeed cross over multiple cultures and are called many names in many dialects.

I know personally at times, that it feels like I am trapped in a maze with these names. But heck, where would the fun be if it were all easy?

Last edited by BSMStar; 1st December 2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 1st December 2005, 03:54 PM   #12
LabanTayo

Ian,
We know what the name, place and date of the sword.
We’re not stumped. Sometimes doing your own research has the best rewards.
The more we learn, the less we know.

In a prior thread, I stated that if you know the local of the sword, you’ll know the name.
That’s why we throw so many names out on the forum. They’re all correct, depending on the dialect where the sword was made. And that could change by traveling 50 km in any direction.

If we were to stick to the National Dialect of Tagalog, then they’re all Bolo’s and Itak’s. Unless you were Tagalog from Batangas or Laguna, then they’re Binakoko or Gulok. Or the Tagalog from Rizal provence, they might be called Espada or Matulis.
See what I mean????

Talibong and Sundang would be correct in naming the swords from the Visayas, because sometimes, we don’t even know where it was made (in the Visayas).

That is best piece of advice I can give the other forum members.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:20 PM   #13
ariel

I was asking the very same question several times already and never got an answer.
Now I know why....
Well, guys, the philosophical musings of the "find your own answer to open your mind" variety just do not cut!
Either we know the answer or we do not.
Either the answer exist or does not.
Either there are different names for the same sword in different dialects or we just call them all "a pigsticker" and go home.
Zonneveld listed several names for the same sword on multiple occasions: this is perfectly legitimate. After all, Persian Qama and Georgian Satevari describe the same weapon and the differences are philological. The generic Arabian Sayf or Turkish Kilic means just "sword", but within those broad categories there are specific weapons.
I just cannot believe that our "Philippino" colleagues can not agree on the proper taxonomy of sansibar, pinuti, binagong etc.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:43 PM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Ariel , I get the impression that sword terminology in the Philippines is at least every bit as confusing as keris terminology is in Indonesia .
What is called by one name in a certain area is called by another a few kilometers away .
I think that point was made earlier in the thread by more than one person.

Kind of like the Italian sandwich in America .
In one place it's a 'Sub' in another a 'Grinder' , some other places it's called a 'Wedge' , a 'Hoagie' ad infinitum .

I'd also like to address another subject that has come up in this thread ; the issue of sniping .
Whether this is ethical or not the point is moot ; eBay allows it .

I am much of the same mind as Mabagani in that I rarely use eBay any more .
The prices are inflated most of the time and so many seek the same thing .

Before hard feelings get involved though I think we all need to realize one thing ; not everyone here knows every Forum member's eBay username .
My forum name is not my eBay handle ; how many of you have the same user ID as your forum name ?

Last edited by Rick; 1st December 2005 at 05:12 PM. Reason: More thoughts ........
Old 1st December 2005, 05:16 PM   #15
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
how many of you have the same user ID as your forum name ?

I do.........
Old 1st December 2005, 05:34 PM   #16
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Well , I guess I'd be Rick 324576 or something like that then .
Instead , I'm raffles and if I get sniped then so be it ; I've been sniped by other members before . <shrug>
I've never taken it personally .
Old 1st December 2005, 05:43 PM   #17
LabanTayo

sorry, double post

Last edited by LabanTayo; 1st December 2005 at 06:00 PM.
Old 1st December 2005, 05:44 PM   #18
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I was asking the very same question several times already and never got an answer.
Now I know why....
Well, guys, the philosophical musings of the "find your own answer to open your mind" variety just do not cut!
Either we know the answer or we do not.
Either the answer exist or does not.
Either there are different names for the same sword in different dialects or we just call them all "a pigsticker" and go home.
Zonneveld listed several names for the same sword on multiple occasions: this is perfectly legitimate. After all, Persian Qama and Georgian Satevari describe the same weapon and the differences are philological. The generic Arabian Sayf or Turkish Kilic means just "sword", but within those broad categories there are specific weapons.
I just cannot believe that our "Philippino" colleagues can not agree on the proper taxonomy of sansibar, pinuti, binagong etc.
Ariel,
If only the Filipino (correct spelling) swords have been researched and documented as well as the Euro/Indo/Persian swords have been, then all of our questions would have been answered.
Cato tried with Moro swords. We are trying with Visayan swords. But, before we post/publish anything on Visayan swords that state a fact, we need to make sure what the name of any given sword is. What we had once thought to be a Tenegre, is now wrong. We have discovered many other names and are still trying to categorize them by blade shape and locale. We do not want to be hypocritical of ourselves down the road, so we do not offer any new facts until we have proven them to be concrete.

Here's an example:
The sword Robert posted here in this thread.
In Samar/Leyte its called a Sansibar.
Take the same sword to Negros, they will call it a Pinute. Take it to Panay, they will call it a Talibong. Take it to Manila, its a Bolo. Take it to Jolo, its a Parang. Take it to a Gun and Knife show, its now called a Confederate sword or Long Bowie knife. And its the same sword!!!

Ariel, we do not mean to seem snubbish to you or the other Forumites, but thats our situation. We have some of the answers, but need to be sure of them before letting them out. Thats why we have been quiet for a while.
Old 1st December 2005, 06:08 PM   #19
BSMStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabanTayo

In Samar/Leyte its called a Sansibar.
Take the same sword to Negros, they will call it a Pinute. Take it to Panay, they will call it a Talibong. Take it to Manila, its a Bolo. Take it to Jolo, its a Parang. Take it to a Gun and Knife show, its now called a Confederate sword or Long Bowie knife. And its the same sword!!!
Hey, I can get more money for it on eBay as a Confederate sword!
Old 1st December 2005, 06:14 PM   #20
zelbone

...well....I'll say it again

I wouldn't get hung up on terminology...it's a moot point. Even for us "native" Visayans (er...haf Visayan ) it's confusing. I learned that firsthand myself in the Visayas...exposed to 4 different dialects...just 4!

LabanTayo said something to us last night during silat practice that was relative..."you could learn a thousand ways to punch, but in the end a punch is just a punch."

...same as a sword is just a sword.

And in the Visayas, it really doesn't matter what a sword is called when one is pointed at you...all that matters then is the sword you have in your hand and your confidence in you're ability to use it.

That is what Visayan swords are all about...the reality of it...they are just instruments of death...

...and it's not that we (i.e. the Filipino members here) cannot agree to proper taxonomy on this issue...but it's more out of respect for each others dialect/culture/heritage. The last thing a Filipino wants to do is offend another Filipino. As I've said before offending another Filipino usually ends up with drawn swords....thinks about...why are there so many different Filipino swords ?

...as for sniping

I understand eBay is fair game...it's an auction. But, if I see another forum member bidding on something, I usually leave it alone or at least email that person to work out a deal. We each have our own niche and most of us know each other's niche. But what really upsets me is to be sniped by someone here and then have them post it and ask for MY opinion. I've been called out on several threads lately as an "expert" on certain pieces that I've been sniped on. Do you guys really think I will say anything then? I may be the one with the "answers" but sniping me and then posting them here won't get those "answers" from me.
Old 1st December 2005, 06:15 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

You sure can !
We all have seen some wickedly expensive CW 'mistakes' .

Zel , I see your point and I would never intentionally snipe another Forum Member . Once a forum member has been outbid by another non member the waters get more muddied .

Polite contact before bidding is a very nice thing to do .

Last edited by Rick; 1st December 2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 1st December 2005, 07:00 PM   #22
Andrew

Cool Two Thoughts...

Thanks to everyone for the information that has been provided about these swords. I can empathize with those of you researching Visayan weapons. We've encountered many of the same problems with regard to mainland SEA. I can also completely understand the reluctance to come forward with definitive statements before a comfort level with the information and data has been reached.

With regard to the discussion of eBay etiquette, I think that is off-topic for this thread and would request the conversation be continued via PM or email, or a new thread be started.

Thanks, guys.
Andrew
Old 1st December 2005, 07:01 PM   #23
BSMStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
You sure can !
We all have seen some wickedly expensive CW 'mistakes' .
Yea, like the time I saw a South Vietnamese Marine cap insignia (Globe and Anchor) put up for auction as a CW Marine cap insignia..... Truly, they tend to be crudely hand cast, but the map of Vietnam on the center of the globe is kind of a give away. A rare piece, but not Civil War rare or priced.

Sorry, I am getting off the subject.

My handle on eBay is cageybee91.

I would love to obtain one Visayan deity hilt sword some day, but alas... I guess I will drool at the posted pictures and the Avatars.
Old 1st December 2005, 07:59 PM   #24
LabanTayo

[QUOTE=zelboneLabanTayo said something to us last night during silat practice that was relative..."you could learn a thousand ways to punch, but in the end a punch is just a punch."
[QUOTE]

Just want to give credit for the reference, Bruce Lee made the comment
"a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick".
Old 1st December 2005, 10:11 PM   #25
Spunjer

lol @ this thread...
Old 1st December 2005, 11:10 PM   #26
themorningstar

what an interesting thread so far....
a few words to fellow forumites....
labantayo and zelbone- i share your same opinions.. but we all know it's all sundang...or is it??? lolz..maraming salamat...
mabagani- thank you swordbrother ( pig-sticker.. gotta love it )
zamboanga- the pictures of the swords on the cebueskrima site are actually mine ( as a matter of fact their next to me lolz..)
ian- i am not an expert on visayan swords, but i am not stumped, i know exactly what the sword is and where its from. my reason for fact omission is due to sniping difficulties beyond my control. lolz.
bsmstar- hello and thank you for your input, i like your process theory. regarding confederate sword, you would actually be surprised at how many turn up under that heading on ebay... lolz.. good luck on your deity hilt hunt
ariel- one answer to your question is actually in my statement " it's a sundang" it took a few forum members a little bit to figure it out, but they did. i am confident you will find the answer as well.
rick- i don't know you, but cheers!
spunjer-i'm right along with you... lolz...
Old 1st December 2005, 11:16 PM   #27
themorningstar

oh.... what is wrong with sundang? he asked for any and all comments?
all the visayan sword misfits agree with it, i dont see anything wrong....
if you want, we can just use patalim...
Old 1st December 2005, 11:32 PM   #28
zelbone

...it's a bolo!
Old 1st December 2005, 11:40 PM   #29
themorningstar

zel, your killin me.....
but on a factual note... he is correct.
if you were to go and see a panday, and ask him what's he polishing... he would say bolo.
lolz..
Old 2nd December 2005, 12:26 AM   #30
Andrew

Cool

In addition to the regional/linguistic differences in the names for these swords, I assume there are also differences in the forms? (I imagine nailing this down is what gives you guys the most trouble.)
Closed Thread