Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 26th February 2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Athanase

Default "Big" Est Java Keris?

Hello,

This keris has many javanese features (Sheath, blade surface, mendak), but also others are strange compared to my other javanese keris (the size: 40cm for the blade) and the hilt representing Ganesha.
The scabbard measures 47cm and fits well with the blade.
The hilt was broken and repaired with a lot of glue in the past, impossible to remove. It looks like plaster (or resin?) painted to imitate old ivory.
The hilt probably dates from the second half of the 20th century but the blade seems older.

I think this Keris comes from East Java (or Madura?), but I don't understand the mix.
What do you think?
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2017, 07:52 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

In the area of Sumenep in Madura there is a story that tells of a failed invasion of Sumenep by Balinese warriors.. The ruler of Sumenep had advance warning of the Balinese arrival, waited until they left their boats to attack the town, burnt the boats and then came up behind them just as they approached his other forces who were guarding the town.

The Balinese were surrounded.

Goodbye invasion.

Did the ruler of Sumenep slaughter them and stick their heads on posts?

No.

He offered them a choice:- pledge your loyalty to me and become my people and I'll give you land and a wife, or, you can refuse to pledge your loyalty and I'll kill the lot of you.

The Balinese warriors made the sensible choice. Ever since that time there has been a small Balinese settlement in the Sumenep area. This is the reason we see this Bali-Madura keris style.

In the case of this example we have a keris of Balinese size, but of very distinct Madurese style, and dressed with the Madura-Bali wrongko.

Forget the hilt. Put it on ebay and look for the correct hilt for this wrongko, like a Bali bondolan, but a little bit fatter and shorter.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 02:45 AM   #3
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
In the area of Sumenep in Madura there is a story that tells of a failed invasion of Sumenep by Balinese warriors.. The ruler of Sumenep had advance warning of the Balinese arrival, waited until they left their boats to attack the town, burnt the boats and then came up behind them just as they approached his other forces who were guarding the town.

Goodbye invasion.

No.

He offered them a choice:- pledge your loyalty to me and become my people and I'll give you land and a wife, or, you can refuse to pledge your loyalty and I'll kill the lot of you.

The Balinese warriors made the sensible choice. Ever since that time there has been a small Balinese settlement in the Sumenep area. This is the reason we see this Bali-Madura keris style.

In the case of this example we have a keris of Balinese size, but of very distinct Madurese style, and dressed with the Madura-Bali wrongko.

Forget the hilt. Put it on ebay and look for the correct hilt for this wrongko, like a Bali bondolan, but a little bit fatter and shorter.
very enlightening indeed ... as usual, thanks Alan

Donny
satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 03:28 AM   #4
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

Goodbye invasion.

No.

I dig deeper and found only a very limited information on this one, the war on Sumenep is known as Ghirpapas war

oddly it is the invasion of Pamekasan who got more recognition

here's a translation for you all

in the beginning of islamic kingdoms era, Madura is a region, ruled by semi-independent kingdoms under Demak. Such example is Pamekasan, which ruled by Ronggosukowati. During his reign Pamekasan faced invasion by Balinese kingdom.

The reason behind the Invasion was because Madura helped Demak attacked Hindu Blambangan kingdom, of which Balinese proclaim as their ancestor. This invasion is kinda weird, because it was much easier for Bali to invade Java (Demak) rather than set sail to invade Madura, which is considerably farther

one theory is Balinese thought that Madura is an important hub spot, which must be conquered before attacking other areas in Java coastline. According to A. Sulaiman Sadik, Balinese warriors also attacking other areas in Madura. In Pamekasan, they punctured deep into enemy territory by using riverways. They tied (Acangcang in Madurese) their boats (jung in Madurese) in the estuary area is now known as Jhungcangcang village (village of tied boats).

story goes on that Balinese army were met by Pamekasan army and Balinese army were defeated. Survivors asked for pardon and were allowed to live on the surrounding area. Until now, there are still descendants of Balinese warriors who lived in Jhungcancang village area. Similar defeat also happened in Sumenep area, also known as Ghirpapas war

Donny
satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 04:07 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for filling that in Donny.

I was given it by a relative who was living in Sumenep in the 1980's, he took me out to a place near the port and showed me a place where he reckoned they landed.

Its a good story, some of it might even be true.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Jean

A similar blade and a similar scabbard as those shown by Athanase.
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Athanase

Thank you all for your valuable information.

I have a little question :
With the bondolan hilt, I keep the Javanese mendak or not?
Old 5th March 2017, 04:39 PM   #8
Jean

No, with a bondolan hilt you should better fit a Balinese uwer (ring) IMO.
Regards
Old 5th March 2017, 05:45 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Athanase, the bondalan style hilt that you should be looking for is not the typical Balinese style. The Maduran form is a bit wide, sqautter, stockier if you will. This style is discussed a little bit on this thread as well as what may or may not be an appropriate mendak for such a hilt.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=bondalan
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Athanase

Ok, thank you very much.
Old 6th March 2017, 04:57 PM   #11
kai

Quote:
With the bondolan hilt, I keep the Javanese mendak or not?
Skip hilt and mendak.

A bondolan hilt does not need an uwer.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 09:42 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Yes, you're right Kai:- a bondolan does not need a transition piece from blade to hilt.

However, the complete keris usually is much more pleasing if a "keris ring" is fitted.

It's a matter of proportion and perception.
Old 7th March 2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Jean

Anyway the existing mendak is a Central Java model and should better be replaced.
Regards
Old 7th March 2017, 11:40 AM   #14
kai

Question

Thanks, Alan!

Since the proportions between hilt and gambar (as well as gandar) are already different, would you go for a uwer Bali (maybe a relatively narrow one?) or a Madura style mendak or even selut?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 04:02 PM   #15
Athanase

Hello,

I finally found an old handle to replace the previous fantasy hilt.
Here is the new montage:
Attached Images