Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
NovelsRus

Red face Indian Dagger -- Any Clues What Kind?

Hi, all,

Just got this Indian dagger along with a nice, older kukri. I've researched, hunted and looked, but I can't find a name or classification for this knife.
Pretty sure it's a tourist gift, but it still looks cool. What is this thing?

Seller said it has a water buffalo-horn handle. It measures about 13.5" overall.

As always, many thanks to whomever can solve this. And thanks to everyone else for looking.

All best,
John
Attached Images

NovelsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 04:31 AM   #2
bhushan_lawate

Hi,

Looks like the ones made in Amritsar/Jaipur for the tourist folks to me. (I might be off the mark too....

I'm sure experts will have more to add.

Regards,
Bhushan
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
spiral

Sadley the kukri is also the same, A low level tourist or typicaly export "Lions head kukri."

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
A Senefelder

The company that made the dagger has been around for years and years. When I was a kid I used to have a bunch of thier stuff, the horse head gripped " tulwar " with the blue velvet sheath like yours, the brass disc hilt " tulwar " with red velvet sheath ( I think I may still have that one some where ) , the little short sword with three bar brass guard in the blue velvet sheath like the knife. They've been doing these since at least the late 60's for various catalog companies in the US. Never seen one with the horn handle though. Always brass but with the same capped hex nut hodling it all together as yours.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Actually it is not likely that the experts will have much to say on these as they are novelty display items and not actually weapons. What is most interesting , especially concerning 'classification', is that these are truly textbook examples of the often misapplied 'tourist' term. They are however interesting from a nostalgic point of view as I also remember them from the 'glory days' of youthful collecting and interest in weapons, and incredibly these are still around.

Thank you for posting them regardless NovelRus, and most importantly my compliments for your efforts in doing your own research and attempting to learn more on these on your own. One of the true goals here in my opinion is for us all to join together in research on weapons discussed, and share our findings so that we can all learn together.

May I ask, what is your regular field of collecting? While many specialize, I find most areas fascinating so its hard to stay focused on one.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
NovelsRus

Default I'm such a tourist...

Many thanks, one and all, for checking them out for me. I'm sure you're all correct, just as I'd feared. Well, live and learn, I guess.
One reason may be that I stepped outside my usual area of study and collecting--that being the Berber Koummya of N. Africa. I've really been hitting the books on those, and can no longer afford the real ones I find on the various auction sites. Pity. Back when I was buying everything with a curvy scabbard and a (kind of) blade, I could afford them! LOL! More touristy stuff, I'm sure. Still, I did manage to collect a couple that I think are for real.
And thanks, Jim, for asking, in re, the above. I've been into koummyas for most of the last 2-3 years, have learned a lot, have bought very little. (The real ones are exhorbitant to say the least, and my wife thinks I've probably got enough for one lifetime).
Still, my thanks again to the board for taking the time to confirm my own suspicions. As I said, we live, we learn.
NovelsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovelsRus
Many thanks, one and all, for checking them out for me. I'm sure you're all correct, just as I'd feared. Well, live and learn, I guess.
One reason may be that I stepped outside my usual area of study and collecting--that being the Berber Koummya of N. Africa. I've really been hitting the books on those, and can no longer afford the real ones I find on the various auction sites. Pity. Back when I was buying everything with a curvy scabbard and a (kind of) blade, I could afford them! LOL! More touristy stuff, I'm sure. Still, I did manage to collect a couple that I think are for real.
And thanks, Jim, for asking, in re, the above. I've been into koummyas for most of the last 2-3 years, have learned a lot, have bought very little. (The real ones are exhorbitant to say the least, and my wife thinks I've probably got enough for one lifetime).
Still, my thanks again to the board for taking the time to confirm my own suspicions. As I said, we live, we learn.

Thank you for the very kind response John, and for saying more on your interests. There are many of us here who have collected/studied for many years, and never stop learning. I have studied arms most of my adult life and honestly still often feel hopelessly ill informed. Fortunately thanks to those here who specialize and openly share information, we do learn together.
Koummyas are intriguing daggers, and quite colorful in thier history as well as appearance. Using our search feature here you will find many great discussions over the years, some of the best work I recall was by Louis-Pierre Cavalliere who had actually lived in Algeria and experienced firsthand contact with many forms.
Interesting to note the dagger you've shown here though modern, seems to have an somewhat koummya type blade, reflecting the tremendous cross diffusion of trade and commercial endeavors.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote