Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th March 2016, 04:29 PM   #31
Miguel

Congratulations Harry for initiating such an interesting and informative thread as this one is proving to be. I think that I have gleaned more from this thread than all the reference books. I like your Choora and it looks a good example of this weapon with the typical decoration found on them. I have a small collection of them and all but one have similar decoration to yours, their scabbards are of various materials and one is a pretty plain, a bit knocked about, brass one like yours. I hope you don't mind me using your thread to post a couple of photos of the Choora with different decoration as I would value comments on the hilt which I think has had its original pommel replaced with an aluminium one also I have not seen one where the bolster extends down the blade and is riveted like this one.

Jim in one of his informative replies mentioned that Stone used the name, Ch`hura, for a type of Afghan knife, I have come across this name before but as a general name, used in India , for a dagger ( Tirri plate 214in his book) He also uses the name Chhuri for a small dagger and Stone also uses this name. I have in my collection the two types of knives that Tirri uses to illustrate the above general names and I would like to know if this design of knife has a particular nam. The smaller of the two is the Chhuri.
Regards
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 06:03 PM   #32
kronckew

i have a pesh kabz with a wooden grip that is of the same pattern, as well as a duplicate of it with the jade pommel and MOP inlays. both are well made and razor sharp.

i also have a smaller straighter version with a finger guard that is a lot more touristy and more like a letter opener. it's about a third shorter than the other two.

seems one man's pesh is another man's choora. no matter how you spell it or transliterate into western characters.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 06:37 PM   #33
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Jim, I suspect the same.

Both "Choora" and " Karud" are essentially the same pattern. Their blades are identical in form and dimensions. In contrast, their handles vary enormously. The only explanation of the difference is likely to be a place of manufacture ( or, if one wishes, ethnicity of the manufacturers)

We know of the so-called "Karuds" that they were made and used in Afghanistan, Central Asia and India, In contrast, "Choora" was always ascribed to the Khyber Pass area, and there are no known examples from other parts of Afghanistan or Central Asian Khanates.

IMXO, most likely explanation is the tribal belonging of the owner/ maker.

Trade blades traveled far and wide, but were mounted according to the ethnic/tribal identity of the end owner.
The same Persian saber blade could become an Indian Tulwar, Afghani Pulwar, Syrian or South Arabian Saif, Georgian Khmali, Moroccan or Omani Nimcha, Sumatran Piso Podang or just Persian Shamshir. Trade yataghan blades were fitted with small silver Cretan handles or with massive ivory ones from the Balkans. Yemeni jambiyas can be attributed to a particular tribe/ social stratum only by the form and decoration of their hilts and scabbards. Egerton specifically mentioned that "Choora" blades were made in Kandahar ( likely plain) and Khorasan ( likely wootz).In Afghanistan, rich people could afford ivory handles and wootz blades.

I suspect that wootz blades were remounted time and again when the organic parts of the hilt broke down, because of their value and mystique.

Ariel, sorry I missed responding to this after you were kind enough to respond to me personally. Very well noted on the karud and their blades being much wider spread in their use with the distinct deeply radiused blade and acute point.
Also you have well delineated the distribution of these other forms with these 'choora' being confined to Khyber Agency regions.

As I suggested earlier, it seems quite possible these were products of the Gandi Lohar groups in these regions using quite similar design and motifs found in the so called 'lohar' pick axes usually attributed to the Bannuchis (Stone).

While the form itself seems to have been around since mid 19th c. the term 'choora' seems to have been a more collective term used locally for knives or daggers in general, but after 1930s applied specifically to them .

Here, as often if not nearly always, collectors have created their own glossary of terms for various weapons, creating what we regard as the 'name game' in struggles to accurately discuss weapon forms.

Basically , collectors wish to classify weapons categorically in order to organize their groupings, while those studying the development and history of forms desperately seek links and cross references to track the forms in contemporary references and narratives.

All part of the excitement, adventure and frustration as we look into these conundrums!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 09:10 PM   #34
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Congratulations Harry for initiating such an interesting and informative thread as this one is proving to be. I think that I have gleaned more from this thread than all the reference books. I like your Choora and it looks a good example of this weapon with the typical decoration found on them. I have a small collection of them and all but one have similar decoration to yours, their scabbards are of various materials and one is a pretty plain, a bit knocked about, brass one like yours. I hope you don't mind me using your thread to post a couple of photos of the Choora with different decoration as I would value comments on the hilt which I think has had its original pommel replaced with an aluminium one also I have not seen one where the bolster extends down the blade and is riveted like this one.
Hi Miguel,
I don't mind at all. Thank you for posting them, and your kind words. Beautiful knives!
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 01:55 PM   #35
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Kronckew:

The two you show with MOP inlays on the handles are from northern India, circa 1900. These were made largely for sale to Europeans who were touring India. A lot of them ended up in the U.K. (for obvious reasons). They are usually well made knives, and there is nothing shabby about how the better ones were made or whether they could be used as weapons.

Acid etching of English words on the blades is also found on some of these. Occasionally you find "kirpan" etched on them, presumably to indicate a Sikh association since all Sikh men, according to religious custom, are supposed to carry a knife (kirpan).

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 02:08 PM   #36
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Kronckew:

The two you show with MOP inlays on the handles are from northern India, circa 1900. These were made largely for sale to Europeans who were touring India. A lot of them ended up in the U.K. (for obvious reasons). They are usually well made knives, and there is nothing shabby about how the better ones were made or whether they could be used as weapons.

Acid etching of English words on the blades is also found on some of these. Occasionally you find "kirpan" etched on them, presumably to indicate a Sikh association since all Sikh men, according to religious custom, are supposed to carry a knife (kirpan).

Ian.
Then these two posted by Miguel would seem to be from the same place and time period as well.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 04:24 PM   #37
harrywagner

Default New Choora

This arrived today. It is a fairly plain choora compared to the others in this post, but it has the "Dumbo" ears, so I thought it might be of interest. I think the hilt is bone. At first I thought the nicks in the hilt might be decoration but am not sure about it now.

It looks more recent than my other. I am terrible at determining an object's age but will take a stab anyway. 1950-1970?

Harry
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2016, 06:18 PM   #38
kronckew

the brass scabbard with an aluminum suspension rail looks like mine with a bit of repousse decoration, mine is basically plain...are the red dots stones or the ubiquitous red stuff? the knife's metal work is a lot newer looking & bright tho, and the ears look a bit less refinded. a very lightly decorated newer version of mine and the OP's. good to see they are still making them out there.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 07:04 PM   #39
estcrh

Here is the earliest mention I have found in relation to a weapon of "choora".

"A compendious Grammar of the current corrupt dialect of the jargon Hindostan", George Hadley, Mirza M. Fitrut, S. Rousseau, 1801.
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2016, 07:15 PM   #40
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Then these two posted by Miguel would seem to be from the same place and time period as well.
Hi estcrh,

Thank you for asking Ian the question, I would think that the answer will be yes. The pics are great much better than mine.

Best regards

Miguel
Old 11th March 2016, 07:35 PM   #41
Miguel

[QUOTE=estcrh]Here is the earliest mention I have found in relation to a weapon of "choora".

Hi estcrh,

Me again, brilliant `Holmes` don't know how you find them. It would seem, therefore, that the Indian name, given by Tirri, for large and small knives is correct just spelt slightly differently.
Kind regards

Miguel
Old 11th March 2016, 08:01 PM   #42
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Kronckew:

Ian.
Hi Ian,

Very interesting info on this type of knife. I never thought them to be made for European tourists I always thought they were made as a good quality general purpose knife for home consumption much like sheath knives in the UK (when they could be worn without being arrested). I never thought them as being Pesh Kabz. I can now place them in my early tourist weapons folder, thank you.

I would be grateful if you could confirm whether this piece also falls into this category or if it is a genuine Pesh Kabz which I have always understood it to be.
Kind regards

Miguel
Attached Images

Old 11th March 2016, 08:15 PM   #43
Miguel

Default Latest Choora

Hi Harry,

That was quick, another nice one. I think it is more recent than your first one
but with a more prominent eared hilt. I don't think they are as upswept as some but still nice. You will have to be careful, these Chooras are addictive and you may end up with a collection of them before you know it. I know I did.
Kind regards

Miguel
Old 11th March 2016, 08:47 PM   #44
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
...are the red dots stones or the ubiquitous red stuff?
It is the mystery red material. I purchased a Khyber knife recently that also has it.
Old 11th March 2016, 08:49 PM   #45
harrywagner

Quote:
Hi Harry,

That was quick, another nice one. I think it is more recent than your first one
but with a more prominent eared hilt. I don't think they are as upswept as some but still nice. You will have to be careful, these Chooras are addictive and you may end up with a collection of them before you know it. I know I did.
Kind regards

Miguel
Indeed. Who knew collecting would be more addictive than crack?
Old 12th March 2016, 01:36 AM   #46
estcrh

Quote:

I would be grateful if you could confirm whether this piece also falls into this category or if it is a genuine Pesh Kabz which I have always understood it to be.
Kind regards

Miguel
Miquel, this is a pesh, it is hard to tell how old, any sign of wear?
Attached Images

Old 16th March 2016, 09:53 PM   #47
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Miquel, this is a pesh, it is hard to tell how old, any sign of wear?
Hi estcrh,

Thanks for the confirmation, there is not much sign of wear so I do not think it is very old say the latter half of the 20th C ? I do ot know if you have noticed but if you look closely at the cutting edge, near enough at the start of the recurve, you will see a hair line crack that travels about a third of the way across the blade which can be seen from both sides, I don't know the cause as it could be due to a number of possibilities.
Kind regards
Miguel