Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Gustav

Default Pandai Saras Luk 9

Dear All,

a week ago I succeeded in obtaining this blade. Alas, it isn't a work of art like some Keris Pandai Saras from forum archives, also material is (most possibly) average and so the state of preservation, with some deeper pitting. There are also welding faults.

Yet I am very fond of this blade, and that's why you see so many bad (I'm sorry) pictures here

Some questions: is this a blade from Patani (which I suppose) or Kelantan? Why, what are the differences? Is it possible to draw a general schema of development (in words of course), how features of ricikan have changed over the time?

Thank you very much.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Gustav

More details:
Attached Images

Old 9th February 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Gustav

Sampir is made from wood, which resembles Trembalo to me, there isn't the structural "hardness" of Kemuning. Chatoyance is nice, yet the balance of forms is a little bit awkward? It lasted some time, till I understud the importance of parallel lines of the back of gonjo and bottom of sampir, like a frame.

Buntut is unfortunately missing.

Hilt is actually a very nice one, Kemuning.
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2011, 01:35 AM   #4
kai

Thumbs up

Hello Gustav,

Quote:
it isn't a work of art like some Keris Pandai Saras from forum archives, also material is (most possibly) average and so the state of preservation, with some deeper pitting. There are also welding faults.
I beg to differ: Looks like a genuine antique Pattani blade of good quality to me!

State of preservation may leave a bit to be desired; have seen more heavily corroded pandai Saras blades though. I think this will polish up nicely - have you tried to stain it?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Alam Shah

What you have there is a good Pattani Pandai Saras with a chevron quenched technique blade. The crosspiece looks kemuning to me. The sheath's shaft, of sena (angsana).
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 04:09 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

What kind of buntut should this have? Wood or what?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Gustav

Thank you very much for comments.

Kai, his is how it looks after some days (careful) sanding, and two days in pineaple juice. I am to timid to do more polishing now (may be, when I will grow older ), the point where I stopped, is when the blackened, rough surface is being almost removed. When I would go further, I would end with a little bit smaller, smooth and shiny blade with some black welding fault lines and pitting (I felt). I simply don't have much experience, and now with this condition I am satisfied for a while.

Unfortunately I don't made pictures of the original condition, yet it was not a nice view.

Alam Shah, I think, I understand what you mean by chevron quenched, I wondered about these lines. Could you please tell more about it? I have never seen such before. I will try to make better pictures of sampir.

Battara, I think so. Bone or ivory one would be very slim, just a line. Will make a picture of a similar (yet existing) wooden buntut.
Old 10th February 2011, 03:05 PM   #8
BluErf

Hi Gustav,

You are going to hate me for this, but without being able to clearly articulate the defining factors, I'm going to say that the keris is most likely Pattani in origin. The hilt form is what strikes me as being very clearly Pattani. The blade too, though for a while, I was struggling to say that it is Kelantanese because of the thicker ganja. However, in the end, I think the Pattani features win out a bit more, particularly the "recessed" gandik style. The sheath is an interesting one. Some people tell me that it is the Pattani interpretation of the Riau sheath form. I don't know. This keris does have a similar look and feel to one I posted earlier - see the 2nd keris in this thread:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12828
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote