Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 16th December 2008, 05:41 PM   #31
clockwork

Gene the cure is simple don’t punish the lawful gun owners, as they have for the last fifty yrs. But actually enforce the laws and make the criminals do the time and not let them of with 1 tenth of the sentence. the morals in this country are crumbling under special interest rule like spanking your child if he/she does wrong. since when is it a good idea to have the Gov. tell you how to raise your child. this is just a example and I can go into many more. we need to reestablish values in this country and not worry about PC nonsense.
Old 16th December 2008, 05:58 PM   #32
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork
well I do happen to be a Police Officer. So carrying a gun is second nature to me. as for the assult rifles if U take them away from the honest person then only the criminals and the Goverment will have them and who is the bigger crook between the above mention 2. LOL All studies on gun control shows that it does not work if conducted by a truelly non biased group and there was a dept of justice survey that concluded the same thing several yrs ago.
Clockwork

If you are a police officer than you represent of the government and therefore in your statement you are calling yourself a criminal/crook? As law enforcement you have had intensive professional training and deemed psychologically stable to own and use automatic fire arms so I no problems with that. Unfortunately in some states in this country all you need is a valid drivers license and you can walk into any gun store and in a few days you will have a gun. Honestly I have no problem with someone wanting to own a hunting rifle(bolt action 30-06), shot gun(pump action) or even a hand gun for home protection or target shooting but there is no reason someone needs an AK-47 that holds 20-30 rounds to hunt with or protect their property that is really over kill!

Lew
Old 16th December 2008, 06:07 PM   #33
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Dave first off if you read the bill you would see that the bill contradicts it self and all the sudden there are gun on this bill that were outlawed on the old one. So do I think I miss read it not really since it was written with a bunch of attorney that double speak in every way. The Second amendment was given to the American people so that we could never be oppressed by the government and is not open to vast interpretation as you state. if you truly understand are history it is special interest groups and attorneys that have warped over the last 50 years. So I have to say that I completely disagree with you on your interpatation of are rights in this country.
Clockwork, i will not argue with you that the bill might have some contradictions, however, your understanding of it originally clearly was mistaken. I also will not argue that lawyers use double-speak and are often hard to understand, so i do see why you might have been confused. As for the second amendment, it has been a point of argument for years so obviously it is open to vast interpretation as to exactly what our founding fathers had in mind. You say that you disagree with me on my interpretations of rights in "this country". Aren't you in Germany. What country are you talking about? MY country or YOUR country. Is American constitutional law a hobby of yours? I personally don't assume to fully know nor interpret the rights of Germans.
Old 16th December 2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Atlantia

Quote:
Gene the cure is simple don’t punish the lawful gun owners, as they have for the last fifty yrs. But actually enforce the laws and make the criminals do the time and not let them of with 1 tenth of the sentence. the morals in this country are crumbling under special interest rule like spanking your child if he/she does wrong. since when is it a good idea to have the Gov. tell you how to raise your child. this is just a example and I can go into many more. we need to reestablish values in this country and not worry about PC nonsense.
Hi 'Clockwork'

I think we can all agree that laws 'should' be enforced. But the UK government finds it hard enough to find the and punish the few (comparatively) gun carrying kids in our cities. Where do you suggest the US government starts to tackle the problem in a country awash with guns?

It cant just be about punishment. Even if you could catch and punish everyone illegally carrying or owning a gun in the US where would you put them all to serve out their full term sentences?

You'd need an 'escape from New York' sized prison!

And as for the Government staying out of raising kids?

I'd say the government needs to get MORE involved.
O.K, I'd agree that there are rare occasions where a kids needs a slap on the butt, and I am sure I deserved most of the ones I got off my parents as a kid! lol
But kids need protecting too.
So we need some legislation in that area.

Kids need to grow up respecting each other and feeling connected to each other, their community, and the State.

Gun ownership in the US is a traditional right, but so many more important rights have been sacrificed in recent years without a fight, and compared to some of the social problems in the US (and in Europe) does owning a gun really matter?
How much freedom and safety does having one really give you?

Just a quick google brings up these stats: (From the Harvard University Gazette)

In the US;

Every year, more than 30,000 people are shot to death in murders, suicides, and accidents. Another 65,000 suffer from gun injuries.

firearms kill about 85 people every day.

To put that into context, thats the equivilent of the 911 attacks every 5 weeks, year in, year out.
Or the US' entire casualties in Iraq to date, every 7 weeks.

So how do you start to tackle it?

regards
Gene
Old 16th December 2008, 08:19 PM   #35
David
Keris forum moderator

Just for a point of reference, here is the second amendment in it's entirety:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Please note that this "right" is tied to the opening requirement of "a well regulated militia" and that it is the right of "the people", not an individual. This amendment also could not possibly forsee the technological developments in weaponry that would allow for guns with the devastating killing capacity of many assault weapons or even semi-automatic ones.
People are welcome to interpret this amendment as they see fit, and debate and discuss accordingly, but please don't try to tell me that there is not room for a vast amount of interpretation of this single sentence that was written over 200 years ago.
Old 16th December 2008, 08:37 PM   #36
BBJW

Gene- Saying firearms kill people is like saying a spoon makes you fat. The Second Amendment was put there to protect the rest of the Constitution. And David...the people are the militia. You can't pick and choose how to interpret the entire Constitution. David, I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt you would fight to protect any part of the Constitution since you would just interpret it to suit your need. Well said Gonzalo. I'm thru with this thread.

bbjw
Old 16th December 2008, 09:06 PM   #37
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW
Gene- The Second Amendment was put there to protect the rest of the Constitution. And David...the people are the militia. You can't pick and choose how to interpret the entire Constitution. David, I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt you would fight to protect any part of the Constitution since you would just interpret it to suit your need. Well said Gonzalo. I'm thru with this thread.

bbjw
BBJW

The local militias were needed 200 yrs ago before there was a large organized standing army. So I think the U.S. armed forces along with the national guard and the 50 different state guards and the local and state police have our backs. You live in Idaho so I guess that if Canada ever decides to invade our country you will be ready to defend the homeland. What is needed is common sense laws when it comes down to it. Btw your comment questioning Davids loyality to defend the constitution was a very low blow and should be struck from the thread.

Lew

Last edited by LOUIEBLADES; 16th December 2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 16th December 2008, 09:21 PM   #38
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Gene- Saying firearms kill people is like saying a spoon makes you fat. The Second Amendment was put there to protect the rest of the Constitution. And David...the people are the militia. You can't pick and choose how to interpret the entire Constitution. David, I hope I'm wrong, but I seriously doubt you would fight to protect any part of the Constitution since you would just interpret it to suit your need. Well said Gonzalo. I'm thru with this thread.
Making comments about my character based on my interpretation of a constitutional amendment is both unnecessary and uncalled for. You see any individual as part of a "well regulated militia", i do not. Please don't lower yourself to making judgement calls on what i am willing to fight for just because i am unwilling to fight for your right to own a semi-automatic weapon.
Sorry it pisses you off that people disagree with you, but hey, that's my right. Aren't you interested in fighting for it?
He's a nice little story lifted right out of today's newspaper. Right here in my fair city a 17 yr. old is on trial for killing his mother and shooting his father. Seems when he was 16 he went out and bought a video game against his parents orders. When they found out the father, a minister, took the game away and put it in a lock box with his 9mm hand gun. Well, the kid found the box, pried it open, went into the living room and told his mom and his right reverend dad to close their eyes because he had a surprise for them. Bang, bang, now mommy's dead and Rev. Dad is shot in the head. The kid could get life without parole. I guess it was his right, but why a minister feels the need to own a hand gun i do not exactly know. I guess he did the right thing keeping it locked up, but that still didn't help. Yep, guns don't kill people, people do, but i would be willing to bet that if the kid didn't find the gun when he retrieved his video game that mommy might just be alive today. From all reports the kid is really sorry for what he did. If the means were absent at his moment of anger this tragedy might have never occurred. So much for a "well regulated militia".
Old 16th December 2008, 09:43 PM   #39
Atlantia

Quote:

bbjw
Of course firearms kill people, as do kinves. But Firearms are designed to be the most efficient killer that we can produce. You know this, you kill things with guns. The fact that 'guns kill people' is a truism does not make it invalid in the argument for gun control.

Nobody can argue that easy access to firearms makes it much easier for people to kill each other than it would be it without that access.

And exactly how many times has your Constitution been ammended, changed, and in fact completely disregarded since the right to bear arms was written into it?

Aren't the pro-gun lobby doing exactly what you accuse others of when they doggedly cling to the parts of the constitution that support their views while voting for a leader who has changed fundamental areas and widely re-interpreted others for that matter.

You are just repeating the constitutional mantra without even trying to answer any of the underlying questions.

If not gun control, then what?

Do your views on the constitutional rights of Americans to own guns extend to those who don't choose to abide by the modern interpretation of that right and own guns 'illegally'.
Where does the constitution say, 'Right to bear arms after a seven day cooling off period and as long as you've never been convicted of.......etc'.
How do you interpret 'well regulated militia'?

Its all up for interpretation BB!
It has to be! Things change, nations grow, times change etc.

The constitution is a truly great document, and Americans are fully justified in the pride they feel for it. But just like any document of its age, it cannot address all modern issues.

And I'm sorry to say the constitutional argument is obscuring the real issue.

80+ Americans a day Dead, and many more injured! How do you stop that kind of bloodshed without starting with gun control?

Regards
Gene
Old 16th December 2008, 09:59 PM   #40
A. G. Maisey

Philosophically I find that I am able to agree with the imposition by any society of gun, and other weapons controls.

Provided that those controls are adequately re-inforced by a prolific and well trained police force.

In a society where the possession of any weapon by an unauthorized person is not possible, and where the society can strive to fulfill its purpose of enriching the Elites of the society, then we can say that those controls which prevent unauthorized possession of weapons by a populace are both effective and useful.

In such a society the management of the Society Units (people) can be tailored to produce the most effective outcomes. Society Units can be produced to fulfil identified and specific needs within the society, and replaced when they cease to be productive. Out of date, and non-productive units can be disposed of when retired from service, thus reducing overall maintenance costs of the society.

This policy of specifically engineered Society Units, and management of those Society Units to maximize outcomes, would produce very positive results for the Elites of the society, and of course, that is the purpose of such a society.

However, should we as individuals choose not to live in such a society then we do need to possess weaponry.

We need to possess weaponry to ensure that the Elites of our society cannot create the type of society I have outlined above.

The banning of any type of weaponry is the thin edge of the wedge and can only lead to tighter and tighter controls being put in place.

The price we pay to ensure that a society has the capacity to control the Elites of the society is the possession of weaponry by all members of a society, equally.

Remove from any person the right to possess weaponry and you have started down the road towards total control of the society.

If we support total control of our society, then philosophically, we should support all and any weapons controls.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 16th December 2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:09 PM   #41
clockwork

David I am a U.S. Citizens and not German. So I am not assuming anything when it comes down to interpretation of law. As for a sentence that was written 200 yrs ago has help up very well and is still relevant. I belonged to a militia in California growing up that is composed regular every day people, so they still exists and it was State sponsored. If you look into the reasons for the 2nd amendment which was almost the 1st , I think you would have a better understanding of it. If you go back and read the writing of Thomas Jefferson the creator of the Bill of Right and the U.S. Constitution with a little help from Virginia Bill of Rights I believe.

Gene if you want the Gov telling you what to do with your children that’s fine as long as it is not in the U.S. Gov messes up to much as it is they don’t need to messing up the children. We can blame guns all you want but they don’t kill people kill and I rather that they use gun than making bombs or chemical weapons since less people will be hurt. People will always kill people and that is a fact, but there are many more destructive ways that will be utilized if you could every take away all the guns which will never happen. In this country alone 1000s of people defend the property every day you will not hear about it since the media is anti gun you will only here about the negatives. We would not need more jails in the country if they ran them like Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Lou yes with all the new laws I am in some since becoming a criminal. I have purchased items legally that have become illegal. The only reason they are still legal for me is because of my work. But in all fifty states you need a valid State issued ID and must go a background check before you can pick up your gun at the store. There are some loop holes in it but not many, the problem is that the state police are not checking the mental back grounds in some of the applicant referring to the Virginia incident this yr or last.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:17 PM   #42
Atlantia

Quote:
David I am a U.S. Citizens and not German. So I am not assuming anything when it comes down to interpretation of law. As for a sentence that was written 200 yrs ago has help up very well and is still relevant. I belonged to a militia in California growing up that is composed regular every day people, so they still exists and it was State sponsored. If you look into the reasons for the 2nd amendment which was almost the 1st , I think you would have a better understanding of it. If you go back and read the writing of Thomas Jefferson the creator of the Bill of Right and the U.S. Constitution with a little help from Virginia Bill of Rights I believe.

Gene if you want the Gov telling you what to do with your children that’s fine as long as it is not in the U.S. Gov messes up to much as it is they don’t need to messing up the children. We can blame guns all you want but they don’t kill people kill and I rather that they use gun than making bombs or chemical weapons since less people will be hurt. People will always kill people and that is a fact, but there are many more destructive ways that will be utilized if you could every take away all the guns which will never happen. In this country alone 1000s of people defend the property every day you will not hear about it since the media is anti gun you will only here about the negatives. We would not need more jails in the country if they ran them like Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Lou yes with all the new laws I am in some since becoming a criminal. I have purchased items legally that have become illegal. The only reason they are still legal for me is because of my work. But in all fifty states you need a valid State issued ID and must go a background check before you can pick up your gun at the store. There are some loop holes in it but not many, the problem is that the state police are not checking the mental back grounds in some of the applicant referring to the Virginia incident this yr or last.

Hi Clockwork.

So, as a policeman, who I presume has seen plenty of gun crime, how would you start to stop it?

Regards
Gene
Old 16th December 2008, 10:40 PM   #43
clockwork

We need to start it in the home by teaching kids respect and morals which are a thing of the past it seems. People do not have respect for there fellow man and that makes it easy to kill them. Plus the general society now days does not seemed to be fazed by such tragedy’s.
Old 16th December 2008, 10:57 PM   #44
Atlantia

Quote:
We need to start it in the home by teaching kids respect and morals which are a thing of the past it seems. People do not have respect for there fellow man and that makes it easy to kill them. Plus the general society now days does not seemed to be fazed by such tragedy’s.
I completey agree.
But thats going to take a generation, what do you do to change things now?
Old 16th December 2008, 11:09 PM   #45
clockwork

make examples of them by giving them a harsh sentence and they must complete the whole sentence and not a cpl yrs in club fed.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:45 AM   #46
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Well, it's hard to argue with this. Still, i am sure that the Christian minister in my news story thought he was teaching his kid respect and morals and that kid turned around and commited what is probably the worst crime possible, killing his own mother and attempting to kill his father. I don't think we can count on this method for an answer.
Old 17th December 2008, 02:56 AM   #47
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Well, it's hard to argue with this. Still, i am sure that the Christian minister in my news story thought he was teaching his kid respect and morals and that kid turned around and commited what is probably the worst crime possible, killing his own mother and attempting to kill his father. I don't think we can count on this method for an answer.

Its so difficult isn't it David, as you say, even kids brought in a strong and traditional moral family enviroment are not immune to the ills of modern society. Its such a complex issue, there seem to be so many factors.

theres no doubt that kids need strong example based 'leadership' from the adults around them, but they need to be taught to care about the people around them and feel a genuine fellowship with them.

Sadly we bring kids up to think of people they dont know as a potential threat now.
Instead of having hope for a future filled with technological wonders, colonies on the moon, space exploration, an end to disease, etc (like we did when we were kids) they are living in a world terrified of one global catastrophe after another.
Where is the future we planned?

Look at the role models kids want to grow up to be like now!
When I was a Kid I wanted to be Captain Kirk or Neil Armstrong!
If you'd have asked me what career I wanted it would have been things like Policeman or astronaut or Doctor!
What do kids want now?
To be like 50 Cent, get instant fame on some reality TV show or at best be some overpaid sports star.

We completely idolise the wrong people in society, focusing on the arrogant and selfish who hardly make a valuable contribution to society while ignoring those who strive for the betterment of those around them. The media glamorises criminals, from gangster rappers to the Sopranos!
Our whole attitude has been skewed to the point where kindness is too often seen as some kind of weakness or even a subterfuge to hide an ulterior motive.

The mantra today seems to be 'I'm alright Jack' and 'Might is Right'.
I remember the days when some people still believed 'Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice'.

So we've got kids growing up, often in less than perfect environments, with no great dreams or ambitions for the future (in a world thats going down the tubes anyway) who are being constantly told by the TV (which lets face it is their main influence) that getting rich quick is the ultimate ambition and role models like 50 Cent.

And into that mix is introduced easily accessible guns!

I have sympathy for gun owners who don't misuse them..
Well, in honesty I would not shed a tear if people couldn't hunt anymore for lack of guns
But I think that there comes a point where regardless of the rights of people to own lethal weapons so long as they use them responsibly we have to realise that so many other parts of our society are f***ed that we need to protect people from themselves and each other until we can find a way to fix things.

Its strange how we are arguing over whether a 200 year old document can still be completely relevant today, when I hardly recognise the world we live in now compared to the one I grew up in in the 70s.

Regards
Gene
Old 17th December 2008, 05:29 AM   #48
celtan

You all posit valid arguments, worth of considering.

All I know is that if I didn't carry, I wouldn't be here today, nor perhaps my better half.

I hate hurting people, the exception is when the alternative is to be the one hurting, and even then, its a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

And yet...

After the bullet has left the barrel, and the "bad" guy lies at your feet gasping and crying for his mother, then you realize the enormity of your actions, and the inevitability of the consequences.

That's when the situation has become irretrievable, when you realize you can't go back to the prior "state of innocence", a second after you have taken the irrevocable step.

Did the miscreant leave behind parents, a wife and children, now suddenly destitute? Could you have prevented the situation? Was it really necessary to have pulled your iron out?

You will have to carry that albatross for the rest of your life.

Again it's a matter of empathy, and few people still have it, mainly because it is no longer emphasized by either parents or society. Now, it's all Me, Me, Me!

Which also explains how even children today are often involved in violent crimes...

Homo Lupus Homini!

Manuel Luis Iravedra

Last edited by celtan; 17th December 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:22 PM   #49
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Celtan,

I have tried to follow this thread as well as any German can who has got used to very strict gun laws.

I my eyes, you made the best point of all considering that very second after the bullet has left the iron. And empathy is something we really seem to have lost in our society. It is exactly as you put it: It's all Me, Me, Me now...

His 'mighty' brain has enabled man to rule over all other beings including his own species, everybody seems to think of himself as kind of a ruler - and that's exactly where the gun comes in. If man doesn't manage to go back to his soul and listen to human feelings such as empathy and respect, and if he does not hand them on to the young generation, he will not inherit the earth, he will destroy it - and himself. Life, after all, should not be about acting against each other but acting together, side by side.

Homo homini lupus ...

Michael
Old 17th December 2008, 01:46 PM   #50
Pukka Bundook

Very well put, Celtan and Michael.

I believe respect is the basis for everything, and without it we can go nowhere.
This might be why countries like Switzerland and Finland, with gun-ownership as high as that of the 'States, have very low crime rates.

Clockwork,
I agree with just about every word you have written.
The problem I believe has some roots in parents abdicating their responsability at home, ...they're just not there, and the kids are out getting into all kinds of stuff.
Parents are meant to bring kids up, Not some government program, day-care or anything else.
If we rely on gov't to do Our job, we are on a down-hill slope.

I note that some of you boys here think it is OK to ban certain classes of firearms. I can only state the obvious,... look at the UK, stricktest laws it's ever had, and More crime than ever before. Even knives with blades over 4 inches are in the works now.

Believe it was Abraham Lincoln stated;

"....If we don't hang together, we'll All hang seperately!"....

Richard.
Old 17th December 2008, 02:57 PM   #51
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
look at the UK, stricktest laws it's ever had, and More crime than ever before. Even knives with blades over 4 inches are in the works now.

Richard.
The crime figures are actually a subject of some contention at the moment over here. It really depends on how you read them, but our rates of violent crime OVERALL is roughly steady or declining. Some areas have shown slight increases, and there in lies the contention as some of the rises have been attributed to better detection, recording and increased reporting, while other areas have shown a decrease. Anyway the UKs figures are a whole thread in themselves.

As for strict laws!
In the UK any blade over 3.5cm IS classed as an offensive weapon if carried without specific cause (such as a fisherman carrying a knife whilst actually fishing or travelling to or from that activity) intent does not have to be proved, possesion in public is an offence. While any blade or sharp CAN be classed as an offensive weapon under certain circumstances even if below the 3.5cm threshold if intent can be proved.

Virtually all knives are legal to own in the home. With a few exceptions.
Those are in the main knives with concealed baldes that can be opened with one hand (apart from simple folding penknives with a small catch on the blade which are not specifically designed to be opened with one hand) In other words, completely prohibited knives include: 'switch blades' Spring opening knives, gravity knives, butterfly knives.
The recent addition of any curved bladed, single edged 'sword' where the overall length is 18inches is still undergoing some revisions as the authorities realise just how unenforcable such a vague law is. Although they are still legal to own 'in the home'

Other banned weapons in the UK include:
Electrical stun guns
Self defence gas/CS spray/Mace
Spring opperated telescopic batons (I think)
Air weapons with a muzzle velocity of over 12ft/lbs
Brocock air cartridge system weapons
The list is endless!

Last edited by Atlantia; 17th December 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 18th December 2008, 04:27 AM   #52
Gonzalo G

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
He's a nice little story lifted right out of today's newspaper. Right here in my fair city a 17 yr. old is on trial for killing his mother and shooting his father. Seems when he was 16 he went out and bought a video game against his parents orders. When they found out the father, a minister, took the game away and put it in a lock box with his 9mm hand gun. Well, the kid found the box, pried it open, went into the living room and told his mom and his right reverend dad to close their eyes because he had a surprise for them. Bang, bang, now mommy's dead and Rev. Dad is shot in the head. The kid could get life without parole. I guess it was his right, but why a minister feels the need to own a hand gun i do not exactly know. I guess he did the right thing keeping it locked up, but that still didn't help. Yep, guns don't kill people, people do, but i would be willing to bet that if the kid didn't find the gun when he retrieved his video game that mommy might just be alive today. From all reports the kid is really sorry for what he did. If the means were absent at his moment of anger this tragedy might have never occurred. So much for a "well regulated militia".
Sad story and wrong conclusions. Where is the problem here? The type of society and it´s culture-education? Or the guns? I believe something went very wrong with the education of this boy, as many other boys do not make such kind of things, even having access to fireweapons. Who was responsible for this facts? The persons involved, or the guns?

We cannot make rules over exceptions, even if they have great publicity. How many people have guns in their houses and never get involved in crimes? Let me tell you: the vast majority. How many incidents of this kind do we have? Very few, proportionally, though very publicited. Do we know how many people is saved per year thanks to gun possession? No, we have a very incomplete information, since this is not a matter of interest for the media.

But do not avoid the facts: gun, or any other kind of weapons control, do not stop the crime incidence. The sickness is not in the guns, but in other places. Gun forbidding is a crime in a society where the government cannot garantee the security of the population, and the people need some kind of protection. Somebody here speaks about society taking decisions. But the politicians who take decsisions do not really represent the public will, or the society, they ony attend power groups. Gun manofacturers are not the only who make lobbying. Anti-gun organizations also does, and also the different churches. I wonder if the ones subscribing the idea of the supression of guns, can garantee the security of the rest of the population. Not all people can live in secure cities or areas, protected by their money or their kind of job.

But we talk about many things at the same time. The problem are not the guns, or their type, but who owns them and who uses them. Maybe this is the real control it must be excersised. But the criminal elements always have access to guns, laws or not. Controls never control but the good citizens. Somebody mentioned the efficacy of the police as complement of the gun control. But then again, the problem is in the society, as corruption always will permit the distribution of guns, as it will be a big business in a society where guns are forbidden, as in England. And the result of this new prohibition? The same crime rates, more police and political corruption, a better area of opportunity for the organized crime and it´s subsecuent invigoration and so on. More gun killings for the control of this new market among the gangs, if people demands more guns. Less defense for the rest of the society in front of this wave of new violence. The pave to hell is full of good intentions, as we say.

Let´s make a better and more productive effort, trying to change the social conditions which produces violence. Though, it will take more personal involvement, not as easy as to applaud useless laws from a confortable chair in home. The problem is that erroneous laws are very difficult to erradicate. Much bureaucracy lives of this kind of laws, over the shoulders of the tax payers. More police to control, but less real control. Less liberties for the honest individuals and more powerful mob gangs (and politicians).

By the way, I am not an anarchist. I worked for several years in the training of police officers, forensics and lawyers for the General Attorney´s Office of the State (in Mexico, it has the responsability of the investigation and prosecution of crime, and it is a different institution than in the USA). And I am also a certificated trainer on "Weapons and Police Shooting" by the National System of Public Security, which is a federal and local network of all the institutions dedicated to justice enforcement. I have a pragmatic view of this subjects because I know the conditions of this area. And also, I am alive because I had a fireweapon to defend myself as a private person against an armed attacker. And I wish all the decent people, like Celtan, could have the same opportunity in the same conditions (are you decent, Celtan?)
Old 18th December 2008, 03:47 PM   #53
Pukka Bundook

[QUOTE=Atlantia]The crime figures are actually a subject of some contention at the moment over here. It really depends on how you read them, but our rates of violent crime OVERALL is roughly steady or declining. Some areas have shown slight increases, and there in lies the contention as some of the rises have been attributed to better detection, recording and increased reporting, while other areas have shown a decrease. Anyway the UKs figures are a whole thread in themselves.

Hi Atlantia.

Thanks for bringing me up to date on how things stand in the UK.
I came to Canada in 1984, and have never been back.

I would like to question the crime rate being static or falling.
What I must ask, is;
Compared to when?
Over ten years, maybe so, but compared to the 60's, 70's or even early 80's it is Way out of control.

Where we lived in the industrial north, you could go anywhere safely, not lock your door, and not expect trouble. (In late 50's and 60s)
Now, in the Same area, (around Middlesbrough) It is plain not safe to be out on a night, and as for non-violent crime, the cops don't turn up if a vehicle is stolen, they just tell you to 'phone insurance.
The village of Normanby, close to the farm I grew up on, was a quiet little spot, Now, the cops if chasing a suspect, turn 'round and go home if they get to the town limit. If they follow, they are showered with bricks or whatever.
( we still have relatives over there)
A relative of mine was sitting on a wall outside his house in another village. (Same area)
Some punks came along, asked if he had any dope, ..told them to get lost, and as he got up, one kicked him and broke his nose.
He let the lad go, (did contemplate breaking his leg, as he had a hold of it & is a black belt.)
Went with his dad to see the police.

You know what he was asked by the police??
".....Why didn't you get a stick and smash his face in?" !!

Doesn't this show the level of frustration amongst the police force?

This relative's old man asked, " can we have a sniff around, see if we can find him?"
Police answer; " Yes, but if you get him, let us know, and we won't go looking for anybody"

Eegads! and I used to play and ride mi bike around there!

No respect for anything or anyone.

All I can say is, if half the population was packing heat, some of these punks would think again.

Footnote;
The guy that broke P's nose, later gate-crashed the chief superintendant's daughter's B.day party.
when she wouldn't let him in, he head-butted her and broke Her nose.
I think about that time, he was put on a hit list, or at least a "hurt" list.
They got him.
It was professionals.
Took out his cheek-bones, and mashed both hands.

I grieve for that country.

So again, compared to when is violent crime down?
I would love it to be down, but think that figures are being messed with, so the powers that be do not look so inept.

Best wishes,

Richard.
Old 18th December 2008, 04:14 PM   #54
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
All I can say is, if half the population was packing heat, some of these punks would think again.

Footnote;
The guy that broke P's nose, later gate-crashed the chief superintendant's daughter's B.day party.
when she wouldn't let him in, he head-butted her and broke Her nose.
I think about that time, he was put on a hit list, or at least a "hurt" list.
They got him.
It was professionals.
Took out his cheek-bones, and mashed both hands.
So Richard, this guy sure is a punk. No argument there. What are you suggesting, shooting the bully dead? Wow, long live vigilantism!
Old 18th December 2008, 06:56 PM   #55
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
this is slightly off topic but thought should be posted. The U.S. Congress is trying to place a gun ban that includes semi autos to browning model 1885 single shot rifles to most shot guns please read the list of Guns in the list.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-6257

Actually, this is indeed 'off topic' as when we began this forum it was unique in bringing the discussion of firearms into the scope of discussion, as well as broadening our topics to all types of arms and armour.
We did however decide not to include firearms post 1900, primarily because of the heated discussions that can often arise with the controversial topic of gun control legislation, and its deviation to editorials that both conflict and distract from the study of historic weaponry.

I think we all are concerned with the ever encroaching movement of government bodies toward legislating ownership of weapons, but it seems that activism and action toward these matters should be handled separately and personally by those inclined to do so.

This forum was initiated as a subforum in a medium where the principle focus has always been primarily edged weapons, and the inclusion of firearms was in recognition of thier importance as historical weapons along with the edged weapons. I know that I have learned a great deal from the contributions here concerning firearms of historic periods, though I admit I have never been especially interested in guns, and often felt that the inclination for guns to dominate weapons collecting was disappointing. It seemed that every weapons collecting show was a 'gun show' with a few edged weapons here and there.

There is clearly great interest in firearms as evidenced by the participation here, but I personally prefer to focus on learning about historic weapons here rather than focus on the aggravation of constant legislative problems and issues. It would seem that the 'modern' guns have sort of come in 'under the radar' here. You'll notice the posts becoming increasingly aggressive in this thread, which is exactly what I had hoped to avoid in our forum, and seems to run hand in hand with these editorial threads, especially involving current legal issues. This is not intended to be a 'political 'forum.

Regardless, I know there are concerns about issues of weapons ownership, and you guys have all expressed some interesting and pertinant views, but this topic is, as noted, outside our scope.

All the best,
Jim
Old 19th December 2008, 01:36 AM   #56
Gonzalo G

Sorry, Jim. You are right. But gun control also becomes edged weapons control, given enough time, and collectors would be also affected. By then, when collectors intend to resist it would be too late. Bureaucracy alwas tend to expand to the expense of society, absorbing the social energy available. From one control we go to the next. This gives greater power to the politicians over the population. I was only intending to establish this point, as general view which is related to collectionism. I believe that if this tendency continues, even the antique and useless firearms will be included in the gun control, as they are in some countries. Like mine.

I did not meant to be aggressive. I apologize if somebody felt offended by my words, tough passionated, they are not aimed to hurt any person.
Regards
Old 19th December 2008, 02:21 AM   #57
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I understand that these issues affect edged weapons as well, but my point is that the intent of the forum is to discuss and share information on historic weapons, not to provide a place to air political views which only leads to disharmony between participants. Simply reviewing the quickly changing texture of the posts on this thread illustrates my point. I think everyone is entitled to opinions and perspective, but prefer to avoid philosophical discussions on politics and religion here. I hear enough of all this stuff on the news!

I 've always admired the gentlemanly manner between members here in discussing weapons, and prefer to keep it that way. Discussing modern legal problems and bans on assault rifles etc. here has nothing to do with learning about the history of weapons. I think everyone involved in collecting is basically concerned with protecting thier right to own historic weapons, and should channel thier views and perspective on these issues toward the legislative representatives in thier locale who might effectively take them into consideration. From what I understand, profuse written letters to politicians has had considerable effect on the application of certain legislation, so this is better use of well reasoned opposition to these matters.

For what its worth, everyone has well expressed thier views, and I think that for the most part, much of what has been said is well placed and well written, but think we should give it a rest at this point, and keep our forum on track.

Best regards,
Jim

P.S. I am not against guns, and I have been at the wrong end of the barrel and 'took lead', so understand the passion this topic can provoke.
Old 19th December 2008, 02:44 AM   #58
Pukka Bundook

Jim,

May I just be permitted to answer David's statement, that I am suggesting shooting someone?
I Never suggested shooting anyone.
Merely showing the frustration of the UK police. and a crime problem that is bigger than the Government cares to admit..

A deplorable state of affairs.

If this is deleted, That's OK, but wanted to clear things up!

All the best,

Richard.
Old 19th December 2008, 02:58 AM   #59
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

No problem Richard. On that note, I think everyone has had a chance to say thier peace so any further issues lets go to PM's . Its always unfortunate when opinions and discussions take these turns, and inevitable with certain topics.....kinda like talking politics and religion at family get togethers

Lets get back to studying weapons history OK guys!

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th December 2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Regret closing due to subject matter outside forum scope of discussion.Sorry .
Closed Thread