Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 21st August 2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Guillaume

Default Spanish Tillered Arquebus Revisited

I've seen this spanish tillered arquebus in a few posts here and though I would make one to play and experiment with.

This has brought up a number of questions about it's use and construction:

First of all, what is the purpose of the folding tiller? I recall seeing at least 2 others around posted here. Since it doesn't fold completely in two, it really doesnt save much space. Two theories we have are either to facilitate loading in small spaces or so that when carried on march like a pike, the unhinged barrel points down keeping rainwater out.

Second, not being able to see these barrels firsthand, is there any evidence of filing on them or are they straight from the forge? Particularly these round, ringed, tillered ones. I am familiar with how barrels are welded up around a mandrel however i'm curious as to the degree of finishing afterwards.

Has anyone seen any with loose rings that might show if there was any ribbing or burring on the barrel to help hold them in place after they were hot-shrunk on? I had a fair amount of difficulty keeping the rings in place, driving them on at orange heat and letting them cool and contract. This could be a result of a smooth filed surface on the barrel. It doesnt really look like they were forge-welded to the barrel.

Does it appear that the rings are one piece (ie solid circles, drifted open on a mandrel) or forge-welded with a seam (like a piece of chain)?

I think making one of these points you to some subtleties that one might normally miss, like how evenly graded the spacing between the rings are, and how the rings shrink in size as the progress.

Thanks for any information.
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 11:25 AM   #2
GIO

In my humble opinion (I am far from being an expert), the purpose of this device is not to fold the barrel, but to take it away from the pike for transportation in a dry place and/or to facilitate carrying the weapon.
Even a substitution with a blade once the gun has fired could be foreseen.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Guillaume

That would be an idea, except in all cases it is riveted in place and allowed to pivot when the key is removed or the collar disengaged.
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote