Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2022, 02:31 PM   #1
Lead Snowstorm

Default Matchlocks at auction

Greetings all,

I had been following this auction with interest due to it having a couple of matchlocks, lots 1 and 6:

https://bidlive.bruneauandco.com/auc...itaria-auction

In particular, I am hoping that I might get some education/opinions regarding the very first lot, the "16th century" example. The images are also attached below.

It seems somewhat akin to petronels discussed previously on this site. However, I could not find another example that seemed to match it exactly, most particularly with respect to the stock contours. I also noted a great many of those early examples had tubular rear sights, and was thinking this one might have lost its original sight (hence the depressed area on the top of the barrel behind the current rear sight...hard to tell, but didn't seem to be a maker's mark?). So, I did not bid. Hoping you all can let me know if I passed on a real gem, so I won't make that mistake in the future!
Attached Images

Lead Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2022, 03:14 PM   #2
Raf

The lock looks Italian and I agree with you that it could have started life as a late 16 th century petronel. It looks to me like it's been re stocked , possibly mid seventeenth century using a stock blank intended for an Italian wheelock. The rebate you point out on the top of the barrel could be the original location of the back site which on early matchlocks tends to be at the breech end of the barrel. The style of the back site looks more mid seventeenth century and could have been added when it was re stocked. Or as you say this might be the remains of attachment of a 'tube sight'
Your reference to tube sights is interesting . The popular view, shared by 'Matchlock' on this forum is that they are indeed tube sights but I'm not sure I agree. Robert Held, The age of firearms 1959 is adamant that these are match guides intended to help manage the match cord by keeping it away from the flash pan. He provides a drawing to illustrate. I will quote the reference here so that you can make up your own mind.

'The match cord itself was protected from the flash by being passed from the serpentine into a tube on the top of the barrel, out again behind the flash shielded then wound around the stcck. These match tube guides are often mistaken by museum visitors for tubular rear sights and indeed some of them may have been just that. Those which are closed either end or in the middle by an iron disk or diaphragm pierced by a small pinhole aperture were obviously tube sightes...those that were unobstructed were match guides.'
Attached Images

Last edited by Raf; 14th December 2022 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typos and clarity
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2022, 04:50 PM   #3
Raf

In retrospect this rather elegant stock on an Italian matchlock supposedly 1600 looks as if lock and stock might be contemporary. The answer may be that Italian conservatism led to locks in a sixteenth century style being carried over well into the seventeenth century
Attached Images

Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Lead Snowstorm

That does look to be quite a close match, down to the somewhat triangular area behind the lockplate - about the only think that doesn't quite match is the wrist/comb area behind the tang. Thanks for posting that one! Almost makes me wish I'd thrown up a bid, although I was saving my pennies for the second matchlock in the auction, lot 6. Will try to get some pictures posted of that one when I receive it.

Also, a very interesting take on the tubes and I could buy it. There was another matchlock (a wall gun) for auction this weekend at a different house, and that one had what seemed to be a rear sight with elongated parallel rectangular blades near the breech (see photos). Not a style I have commonly seen; then again, I'm sort of getting started when it comes to my knowledge base regarding matchlocks/wheellocks.

It is interesting to consider how sights have cycled in complexity and favor throughout history.
Attached Images

Old 15th December 2022, 07:45 AM   #5
corrado26

The sword mark on the barrel is a clear sign that the barrel was made in Essen.

In my opinion, the piece shown in post 1 was made in Styria in the vicinity of Graz, at least the shape of the shaft is typical of it.
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 11:00 AM   #6
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26 View Post
The sword mark on the barrel is a clear sign that the barrel was made in Essen.

In my opinion, the piece shown in post 1 was made in Styria in the vicinity of Graz, at least the shape of the shaft is typical of it.
goodmorning,

I believe the E on the barrel stands for Arsenal of city Emden/ Ruestkammer der Stadt Emden.

best, Jasper
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2022, 01:29 PM   #7
Lead Snowstorm

I thought the same regarding the rampart gun’s markings, thanks all! And I believe I also recognize the first matchlock in post #6 as the one sold also from Bruneau, last April if I recall. A very nice piece I thought; but alas I dropped out of the bidding when the price + premium went beyond $10k.

The suggestion that the first piece comes from Styria is very interesting! I believe the matchlock I have coming to me is also from that region, probably one of those examples from Frondsberg.

Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 15th December 2022 at 07:12 PM.
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:18 PM   #8
Lead Snowstorm

For those interested, I have finally had the chance to photograph the matchlock I won at auction, lot #6 of the linked auction in the first post.

The barrel is about 95 cm (37-7/16 inches) and the overall length about 134.6 cm (53 inches). The weight (crudely measured by weighing myself on the scale with and without the musket!) is about 4.6 kg (10.2 lbs). The bore is 19 mm (.75 caliber/11 bore).

The lock is functional; the pan demonstrates an "X" with four dots next to the X in each quadrant. Crosses or X's are on the bottom of the pan. The pan cover swivels easily.

The stock retains its metal nosecap, as does the ramrod. The barrel is octagonal to round with parallel incised lines ahead of the heart-shaped rear sight.

A rim of sheet metal is nailed to the buttstock, which demonstrates a superficial crack/split on the left side.

Based on the visual comparison and the description of the split in the buttstock, I believe this matchlock was previously sold at auction by Bonhams in 2009: https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/168...?category=list
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2022, 10:19 PM   #9
Lead Snowstorm

Photos continued:
Attached Images