Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2006, 06:23 AM   #1
sabertasche

Default Hi Guys - I'm new

Hi all, I'm the newbie for today and I wanted in introduce my self. I live just outside of Vancouver Canada. I come from a family of collectors (this is my excuse for collectiong just about everything that is sharp, pointy or might go boom). I have a special facination of old blades. I used to collect only British blades but have always found myself drawn to the blades the British would have met during the hayday of thier colonial expansion.

As far as I can tell I have blades from Nepal, Russian States, Persia (armour), India and Turkey. I have began to purchase books - I have Stone's Glossary, Dr. Figiel's book on Danascus (it makes me drool ) and Anthony Tirri's mamouth volume on Islamic Weapons.

I look forward to posting blades in my collection and taking part in the great discussions.

Finally, I'm a crappy speller.

I look forward partisipating in this forum.

Cheers,

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 07:22 AM   #2
Titus Pullo

Welcome to the board! I'm looking forward to see your collection. I'm from Thailand by the way. But I spend most of my life in the US.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Radu Transylvanicus

Welcome to the Forum. Great comun passion, collecting, maybe you'll post a few of your pieces here. Few hints about your books:
Cameron Stone's "Glossary of...." is one of my most treasured books but many "groundbreaking discoveries" have been made since the times that was wrote but the book itself its well accepted as the "Beginner's Bible". No one else ever since darred making a better universal compendium.
Tirri's giant " Islamic weapons - Maghrib to Moghul" has been the subject of vivid debates. I am one of those that accuse Tirri of slight amateurism for the sake of spectacular and exotic. The examples used have not necesarilly been the most representative. The book has had so much advertising now you are being backfired if criticise it. But again, I love reading it and consult it at times.
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 01:24 PM   #4
Andrew

Cool

Welcome! You'll feel right at home around here, I think.

Radu is absolutely correct about Stone and Tirri: good books for what they are, but there are other well-researched and more comprehensive writings out there. For instance, Robert Elgood's work is outstanding, in my opinion.

By the way, Radu, I think Tirri (and any other author, for that matter) is perfectly fair game for criticism. I just have a problem when that criticism is leveled on this forum in an impolite, uncivil fashion.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 02:29 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Welcome! You'll feel right at home around here, I think.

Radu is absolutely correct about Stone and Tirri: good books for what they are, but there are other well-researched and more comprehensive writings out there. For instance, Robert Elgood's work is outstanding, in my opinion.

By the way, Radu, I think Tirri (and any other author, for that matter) is perfectly fair game for criticism. I just have a problem when that criticism is leveled on this forum in an impolite, uncivil fashion.
My turn , one more thing ; please read the posting rules if you haven't already .

Welcome to our world .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Greg – welcome to the forum.

When Stone and Tirri are mentioned, why not also mention Egerton, Lord of Tatton? As his book ‘Indian and Oriental Armour’ could also be of interest to you. You can get a reprint very cheap, so do yourself a favour – buy it now before it is sold out.

Robert Elgood has edited a book and written several, all worth having, and don’t jump the fence where it is lowest, read the notes as well, and you will be surprised of all the pieces of information he gives – if you are interested in the subject that is.

There are, of course, many more books, and according to you wallet and interests, I would be surprised, if the members of the forum could not fill a bookcase or two within a very short time.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 10:46 PM   #7
sabertasche

Thanks for the welcome guys. As to books, I agree I should be spending more on them than on swords. Can I access them via the forum or do I have to go through ABE Books.com?

Greg
Old 7th February 2006, 11:19 PM   #8
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertasche
Thanks for the welcome guys. As to books, I agree I should be spending more on them than on swords. Can I access them via the forum or do I have to go through ABE Books.com?

Greg
Helllo, welcome.

Recommended book search:
1) BookFinder.com
http://www.bookfinder.com/

2) Bookstore 'De Verre Volken' is established inside the National Museum of Ethnology at Leiden.
http://cgi.ethnographicartbooks.com/...re_vvolken.cgi
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 07:40 AM   #9
Radu Transylvanicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Not that ive ever done it, right?
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Transylvanicus
Ahhh , Radu but now you are a Phoenix are you not ?
Old 8th February 2006, 07:40 PM   #11
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radu Transylvanicus

Actually, I was thinking of someone else.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2006, 01:17 AM   #12
sabertasche

Test post
Attached Images

Old 9th February 2006, 01:31 AM   #13
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile Test Picture

Are you using a pc or a mac ?
You can post larger files with more detail .
What's your image software ?
Pm me if you'd like .
Interesting sword .
Old 9th February 2006, 02:37 PM   #14
manicdj

Thumbs up another bladesman has come home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabertasche
Hi all, I'm the newbie for today and I wanted in introduce my self. I live just outside of Vancouver Canada. I come from a family of collectors (this is my excuse for collectiong just about everything that is sharp, pointy or might go boom). I have a special facination of old blades. I used to collect only British blades but have always found myself drawn to the blades the British would have met during the hayday of thier colonial expansion.

As far as I can tell I have blades from Nepal, Russian States, Persia (armour), India and Turkey. I have began to purchase books - I have Stone's Glossary, Dr. Figiel's book on Danascus (it makes me drool ) and Anthony Tirri's mamouth volume on Islamic Weapons.

I look forward to posting blades in my collection and taking part in the great discussions.

Finally, I'm a crappy speller.

I look forward partisipating in this forum.

Cheers,

Greg
Its about time my friend, spelling is optional...
manicdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2006, 12:40 AM   #15
ariel

Don't worry about spelling as long as you write "Dahb" instead of "Darb"
And, in general, broken English is an international language of science.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote