Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th February 2010, 05:18 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A Spanish escopeta

Very good condition, not many miles away from excelent; no repairs, no gaps, no loosenesses ... only a bit too cleaned (polished?), specially at the barrel front section, possibly due to the previous owner wishing to erase some pitting... not sure.
The patilha (Miquelete) lock, in the genuine late percussion version; dated 1840.
The barrel and lock bear the punctions of M Vicaš (Vicario) Rodriguez and the trigger guard bear those of Juan Rodriguez.
The caps box has inscribed Juan y Hermano en Cortegana, which confirms the gunsmiths were two brothers; Cortegana is in the Huelva area.
The caliber is around 18 mm; i am not certain if at this stage you could already call it a 12 gauge; can someone enlighten me?
The wooden ram rod could be the original ... a little bit short, though.
Traditional stock a la Catalana (or boot).
There is a threaded hole on the counter plate; missing some kind of ring ... i wouldn't say a hook. I will have to figure out what it was.
Would anyone care for coments?
Thanks a lot
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote