Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th May 2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Solid 'silver' Tulwar hilt for comment

Picked this one up today. Solid 'white metal'. Was quite tarnished and oxidised.
Nickel, white brass or low grade silver?
It marks very easily so is quite soft.
Quality seems good, it feels absolutely amazing in hand. Like a real fighter, great grip, comfortable and a good range of movement.
Can anyone add any information? Age, area, material?
I've seen plenty of brass and steel but never solid 'silver' metal.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Can anyone add any information? Age, area, material?
Hi "Atlantia"
white metal ... ... absolutely Indian specialty
what it is made ?? very good question .... I never got an answer

to make your own idea ... type on "google"
"indian white metal" ==> About 3,430,000 results (0.23 seconds)
and ... have a nice time for reading
I know how it's looks, I have at home a double door,

what I know ...
it's looks like silver
it's not a silver
it's looks like nickel
it's not a nickel
it's looks like stainless steel
it's lnot a stainless steel
... it's "white metal" ...
but I dunno more, even under torture, don't try ... I'll not speak

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Tatyana Dianova

Gene: I advice you to buy the silver testing acid. It costs around 2 Euro, and it wasn't a problem to order it on Internet even here, in Germany. It will definitely be the most useful buy :-)
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Atlantia

LOL, thanks Dom,
So you think it might not be silver then?

Hi Tatyana,
It's a good idea!
The metal is soft, I straightened the langlets by hand,

I think it's quite a good quality hilt.

Any further ideas anyone?
Old 10th May 2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Both would be soft, silver even more. I agree with Tatyana either get a testing kit or take it to a jeweler for testing. I could be either white metal (usually nickel-copper alloy) or low silver (75-80%).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Both would be soft, silver even more. I agree with Tatyana either get a testing kit or take it to a jeweler for testing. I could be either white metal (usually nickel-copper alloy) or low silver (75-80%).
Hi Jose
Thanks

Any thoughts on age, region, quality?

P.S. It's probobly white brass in all honesty.
I'll have a look and see if I can find a cheap silver test kit that'll test the lower grade silvers.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
katana

Hi Gene,
some interesting info here, nothing conclusive though
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=sind

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:33 PM   #8
rickystl

Default Hilt

Hello Atlantia. Can't add much here in the knowledge department. But have to comment that is a beautiful hilt !!! It would be interesting to find out if it is/is not silver. Is there any evidence that a blade was attached sometime in the past? Again, great looking hilt. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Hi Gene,
some interesting info here, nothing conclusive though
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=sind

Regards David
Hi David,
Thanks I looked there first tbh. Nothing like mine unfortunately.
My initial thoughts were that it's a 'dressy' palace guard or military style hilt.

Type of hilt where you'd want some uniformity, but also something well made and quite flash.
Old 11th May 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

There are Indian grips like the one you have, if yours is of silver, is so far unknown as it seems. Some of the others are like yours and some have leaves, but general showing the same design. As I understand it, most of the others have silver hilts - but there may also be other metal combinations.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
There are Indian grips like the one you have, if yours is of silver, is so far unknown as it seems. Some of the others are like yours and some have leaves, but general showing the same design. As I understand it, most of the others have silver hilts - but there may also be other metal combinations.
Hi Jens,

Thanks for the help. Do you have any idea of origin or date?
I'll get a silver test kit, but it's probobly just 'white metal'.

Thanks
Gene
Old 11th May 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gene,
I cannot resist completely agreeing with everyone, this is a beautiful hilt, and though far from being a metallurgist, it surely seems silver to me! It seems to me that silver was not typical in Indian hilts, though obviously there were likely exceptions. Also, the 'chevron' pattern on the grip to me recalls many Indian blades, often on tulwars, made in alternating light and dark colored metal. These were highly symbolic and apparantly represented the two most important rivers in many perceptions in India; the Ganges (light) and the Yamuni (dark). These chevron pattern blade swords were termed 'ganga-yamuni' (Pant. p.96, fig. LXXXVII).

These appear to have been from Rajasthan regions as early as mid 18th century, but most known appear later in the 19th. With this hilt in silver, with the unusual grip motif, and with conspicuous absence of floral or the often seen other motif, especially on the pommel disc, I am wondering if this might be a latter 19th century example somehow connected to the British Raj, as it appears a hilt form more common to 'court' type swords of the Northwest.
Perhaps the somewhat well known tulwars with chevron blades (some of these parade swords of the 'tears of the wounded' style) may have had influence on a weapon intended for such use.

Very nice!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 06:55 AM   #13
indiablade

ITS NICKEL. I TOLD YOU THAT WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT.
indiablade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiablade
Hi Ray,

Try the Caps lock.

Pure Nickel would be nice, but it's more likely an alloy (that possibly includes Nickel).
Cupronickel, 'white copper' etc. One of the family of 'white metals' used to simulate Silver at lesser cost. Like Alpacca (white copper) is often called 'German Silver'.
If memory serves, pure Nickel is actually magnetic, so that would also suggest that this is an alloy.
Old 12th May 2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Gene,
I cannot resist completely agreeing with everyone, this is a beautiful hilt, and though far from being a metallurgist, it surely seems silver to me! It seems to me that silver was not typical in Indian hilts, though obviously there were likely exceptions. Also, the 'chevron' pattern on the grip to me recalls many Indian blades, often on tulwars, made in alternating light and dark colored metal. These were highly symbolic and apparantly represented the two most important rivers in many perceptions in India; the Ganges (light) and the Yamuni (dark). These chevron pattern blade swords were termed 'ganga-yamuni' (Pant. p.96, fig. LXXXVII).

These appear to have been from Rajasthan regions as early as mid 18th century, but most known appear later in the 19th. With this hilt in silver, with the unusual grip motif, and with conspicuous absence of floral or the often seen other motif, especially on the pommel disc, I am wondering if this might be a latter 19th century example somehow connected to the British Raj, as it appears a hilt form more common to 'court' type swords of the Northwest.
Perhaps the somewhat well known tulwars with chevron blades (some of these parade swords of the 'tears of the wounded' style) may have had influence on a weapon intended for such use.

Very nice!!!

All the best,
Jim

Fantastic Information Jim,

I'll digest it all after work, thank you.

Best
Gene
Old 12th May 2011, 08:00 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiablade

How eloquent and emphatically noted in capitals in such courtesy! It seems to me that Gene's question was fairly placed, and not just asking for the material used, but for more on the potential history of the weapon. This is actually the kind of questions I always look forward to seeing, and dont really think publically chastizing Gene is really warranted. As Gene has noted, German silver is indeed a cheaper form of material using nickel as an alloy base as I understand, and indeed was used a great deal in military type weapons in the 19th century, again adding to my suggestion in earlier post.
Old 12th May 2011, 09:13 PM   #17
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Gene,

Very nice!!!

All the best,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for the Info.
Of course, the chevron pattern!
LOL, funny how something can be right in front of you and still remain 'hidden'.
I've always loved those chevron blades.
I had absolutely no idea that they had such significance!
You are a mine of information, 'ganga-yamuni', light and dark!

Great observations about this type of hilt and the possibility of a connection with the Raj, serious food for thought, thank you again!

Best
Gene

P.S.
Just as an interesting aside on the question of testing for Silver itself.
I found an interesting note on two simple methods of using Sulphur.
Thought it might be of use to members with white metal items.
Presumably the darker and more 'black' the colour, the higher the silver content.

"FRENCH'S BRAND YELLOW MUSTARD TEST This first method requires that the tester apply a very small amount of French's brand yellow mustard to the surface of the shiny metal. Ideally the mustard drop should then be heated, either in the sun or with a cigarette lighter. Let me explain; this brand of mustard contains a very high amount of sulfur and when heated the volatile sulfur molecule will ALWAYS combine with pure silver to make the dark black stain known as silver sulfide (which is easily cleaned away with vinegar by the way).

THE SULFUR MATCH TEST The second method may attract more attention than desired, especially when attempted inside a store, under a proprietor's watchful gaze. Yet this method is even more effective take a match and press it against the metal surface to be tested and then light it on fire with another match. The sulfur is extremely hot as it combusts and it will certainly combine with pure silver when ignited in this fashion. It will not however mark nickel, steel, or chrome or any other shiny metal the way it marks silver (a black stain). Again this dark metal is silver sulfide it will not wipe away with your finger and must be cleaned off the metal with another agent. Its important to note that both of these tests will not harm the metal and can be easily cleaned away."

Last edited by Atlantia; 12th May 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 13th May 2011, 01:47 AM   #18
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You bet Gene!!! and thank you for the testing tips.....I'll file away for future reference. It really is amazing how impressive silver is on one of these hilts even without floral motif, sometimes simplicity can be stunning!

All the best,
Jim
Old 13th May 2011, 01:21 PM   #19
katana

Interesting ways of silver testing, thanks Gene also found this....

Cool Down
Use an ice cube to test the purity of your silver. This process works best with smaller pieces, such as silverware. Take a small ice cube, and place it on your silver item. If the entire utensil cools down within 10 seconds, you are working with real silver. If it takes closer to 30 seconds, it may be silver plated. This test is not the most scientific, but it will be a broad indicator and will help you decide whether you would like to test further.

All the best
David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 03:58 PM   #20
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Interesting ways of silver testing, thanks Gene also found this....

Cool Down
Use an ice cube to test the purity of your silver. This process works best with smaller pieces, such as silverware. Take a small ice cube, and place it on your silver item. If the entire utensil cools down within 10 seconds, you are working with real silver. If it takes closer to 30 seconds, it may be silver plated. This test is not the most scientific, but it will be a broad indicator and will help you decide whether you would like to test further.

All the best
David
The only problem I see with this is if the piece is copper with silver plate - heat disperses instantly with silver and copper.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote