Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2017, 02:04 AM   #1
alexish

Default Kemardikan Madurese keris with 4 kembang kacang

I hereby enclose a Kemardikan Madurese keris with 4 kembang kacang for comments.
Attached Images

alexish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:41 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Red face You Asked

Not meant to offend, but for me:

The wilah reminds me of a Pizza with too many toppings; there's no harmony expressed in the wilah; it's like keris science fiction.

The carving of the dress is better than the last example of Madura style carving you submitted.

I find the keris jarring; but maybe it is purely an art piece.

To each his own
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:22 AM   #3
alexish

I appreciate your comments. I understand that this keris is based on another older kemardikan example. I enclose a picture. I am wondering whether another collector has encountered another example of this particular Keris Dhapur before?
Attached Images

Old 2nd December 2017, 07:22 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

These extreme Kemardikan blades are not really the sort of thing that I find attractive, but there is no denying that in Alexish's example,the metal carving is very skilled, as is the wood carving.

Present day Javanese society and culture accepts this type of blade as legitimate art, so I guess we just need to try to adopt the same sort of mind set that we might use when we view any modern art. My overall artistic tastes seem to have not progressed much beyond the mid-19th century, and for me, its the same with keris art:- I like traditional, I do not like modern. But that does not mean that I am unable to appreciate the thought and the work that has gone into a piece of modern art.

In about 1982 I attended a showing of keris that had been made by the new keris makers from the ASKI (Akademi Seni Karawitan Indonesia) in Solo, Jawa Tengah. I was with Panembahan Harjonegoro ( he was not a Panembahan yet), Bp. Pauzan Pusposukado (Alm.) and Bp. Yohannes Yantono ( who was one of the ASKI people).In about 1982 the Javanese keris revival was still very young, the idea of Kamardikan keris being legitimate keris art did not yet exist. In fact, the classification of "Kemardikan Keris" did not yet exist.

The ASKI boys had placed on exhibition a number of keris that deviated from the accepted dhapurs. I recall Panembahan Harjonegoro's comment very clearly:-

"Well, yes, certainly this is art. But are they keris?"

That pretty much sums up my attitude too.

But to be objective, it all depends upon how we consider the keris:- if we use the traditional standards and link those standards to the artistic and cultural iconography, then of course these extreme Kamardikan keris are not in any way able to be accepted as true keris.

However, if we simplify things and accept the Extreme Kemardikan keris as art that is based upon the form of the keris, it becomes no different to appraising any art form. We use the overall standards for art appraisal, rather than the overall standards for keris appraisal.

Using those art appraisal standards, I feel that Alexish's keris must be accepted as a very competent example of the Javanese plastic arts.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Jean

I am in full agreement with Alan's opinion and also much prefer traditional art to modern one and this includes the keris especially....
May be because I am part of "orang tangguh tua"?
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2017, 11:47 AM   #6
alexish

Default Forge lines on wilah

Dear fellow collectors,

All your comments are really appreciated.

Note that although the wilah is kelengan, forge lines are still visible, as shown in the attached picture.
Attached Images