Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th October 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile CURRENTLY 70 PEOPLE VIEWING THIS SECTION

I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING 70 PEOPLE VIEWING THE ETHNO PART OF THE FORUM AT ONCE. THAT'S GOOD BUT WHERE ARE THE NEW POSTS SURELY SOMEONE HAS SOMETHING NEW OR A QUESTION OR TWO OR JUST SOME GOOD WEAPON RELATED PICTURES.
COME ON IN AND POST!
OR US OLDIES ARE LIKELY TO POST SOMETHING WE ALREADY POSTED SEVERAL TIMES IF IT GETS TOO SLOW. YOU ALL KNOW HOW FORGETFUL WE CAN GET AND HOW MUCH WE LIKE TO TELL OUR FAVORITE STORIES.

JUMP ON IN THE WATERS FINE AND THERE ARE NO BAD QUESTIONS AND YOU WILL NOT BE CRITIQUED OR TALKED DOWN TO.

PS. FOR THOSE NEW TO THE FORUMS , I AM NOT SHOUTING OR EXCITED , BUT FIND ALL CAPS EASIER TO SEE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 01:34 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Please excuse my ignorance, but is that figure Members only or does it include views from outside the Membership?
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 03:08 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING IT INCLUDES MEMBERS AND BROWSERS. YOU CAN SEE HOW MANY ARE WATCHING IN ALL 5 FORUMS IF SWAP FORUMS ARE INCLUDED. I HAVE NOT SEEN 70 WATCHING SINCE THIS FEATURE WAS INSTALLED AND THOUGHT IT WORTH A SHOT TO TRY AND GET A FEW MORE MEMBERS AND POSTS. INTERESTINGLY THERE ARE NOW 73 VIEWING THIS FORUM.

JUST TO MAKE THIS POST MORE INTERESTING I HAVE ADDED PICTURES OF A CHINESE SWORD. CAST BRONZE HANDLE AND A STEEL BLADE. I HAVE SEEN EXAMPLES OF THIS FORM OF HANDLE FOR SALE WITH THE BLADE RUSTED DOWN TO A STUMP BUT CAN'T SWEAR TO THE AUTHENCITY OF THIS FORM. I DO FIND IT INTERESTING . IF ANYONE HAS INFORMATION ON THESE PLEASE COMMENT.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 18th October 2011 at 03:19 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 03:18 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well we know lots of you folks are out there - welcome.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well we know lots of you folks are out there - welcome.

Salaams~ I agree with all the above. Some people use the forum as a body of knowledge and others are avid collectors or interested to some degree big and small. Some are just curious. All are welcome in my view.. however I think its great to welcome all comers .. and to invite them to join the discussion by joining the forum.

Regards,
Ibrahiim Al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 04:25 PM   #6
katana

Good point Vandoo, it would be great to have an influx of new blood.

I am sure regular visitors to the forum know we are a very friendly, helpful bunch of enthusiasts ....so why not join and post some of your collection. Perhaps, you haven't started collecting yet, but have an interest in Ethnographic weapons ....no matter, there are many members whom will give advice on how to start collecting, what to avoid etc .....you just need to join and ask .

David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Dimasalang

I haven't been here too long. I still feel like a newb myself everytime I come here. And most the time when I do a search I can't believe the great stuff that was discussed here 3-5 years ago! I wish I had been a member then. And now I would feel foolish bringing up old threads. It would be nice to resurrect and possibly re-evaluate old threads for discussion.

Just have to add, the first time I registered on this forum I did not post anything for several months(I joined in Aug 2008 and didn't post until 2009). After reading some of the threads here, many discussions were just way over my head. I notice a lot of "tribal knowledge"(lingo) going on in this forum too. And even now I still can't believe the amount of knowledge many of you people have. It took me some time to learn a few things. So new folks just might be intimidated after reading a few threads and might feel they are just out of place. There should be a sticky thread for newbs.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
I haven't been here too long. I still feel like a newb myself everytime I come here. And most the time when I do a search I can't believe the great stuff that was discussed here 3-5 years ago! I wish I had been a member then. And now I would feel foolish bringing up old threads. It would be nice to resurrect and possibly re-evaluate old threads for discussion.

Just have to add, the first time I registered on this forum I did not post anything for several months(I joined in Aug 2008 and didn't post until 2009). After reading some of the threads here, many discussions were just way over my head. I notice a lot of "tribal knowledge"(lingo) going on in this forum too. And even now I still can't believe the amount of knowledge many of you people have. It took me some time to learn a few things. So new folks just might be intimidated after reading a few threads and might feel they are just out of place. There should be a sticky thread for newbs.

I have been writing here for over 12 or 13 years, and the topics we have all shared in our discussions have indeed been fascinating. What I would point out is that here, there are no experts, and yes there is an incredible amount of knowledge, but what it is is that ...we learn together. It has been exciting when weapons which had been for years considered 'mysteries' but ongoing research, study and discussion often resolved these right here on these pages! It was just guys with a passion to learn who all set aside worries about being intimidated or feeling silly with ideas and just set it all down here....suddenly lights went on and we had the answers!!! We have all worked together to make these threads into virtual archives so that all weapons students can access and find what they need to know.

All of this however is very much quid pro quo.....and I think most of us try to put back as much as we can by sharing what we can. When I was a young collector, there were no computers or means of transferring information but through tedious mail correspondence, often unanswered, few references and learning was through often painfully expensive trial and error. Now, we have all this at our fingertips! Best of all, here are literal panels of enthusiasts all sharing knowledge, examples and observations....but we are all members of the panels!

It gets slow sometimes, and I love it when readers find old threads and have found some new bit of information or details! This is what its all about. Please DO read the old stuff....please DO ask questions....please tell us what you think. We learn from questions, often more than from stated observations because these often reflect things that have not been noticed!! Ask away!!!

I personally do not think we need to classify anybody a 'newbie'. We here are all students trying to learn together. I have been studying arms most of my life, and not a single day goes by that I dont learn. When questions are asked here, I hardly ever know the answers, but I do spend a lot of time looking, and thats how I learn. When I write (my long, long, usually posts, its just sharing what I have found, and I always hope others will do the same. I treasure every single response, and especially the posts which add more I can add to my notes.

I just really thank everybody who writes here, and value the readers as well, and invite them to join us. Your ideas, observations, examples, questions are not only invited...but needed! Get in here with us!!!!! The great discussions arent in the past...they're still going, with more to come

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 06:51 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Well said Jim. I heartily agree and would just say to those who are lurking but for some reason have not come on board, give us a try. It will be well worth your while in my opinion, and you are VERY welcome..
Stuart
Old 19th October 2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Stu! BTW love the addition to your location bar on your avatar. 'the city that rocks!'. You folks down there are the most steadfast, resilient ever in the way you handle adversity, and these seemingly neverending quakes are no exception....stay safe my friend!
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Iain

Agree with Jim, please visitors and lurkers, do post! There must be many interesting pieces out there we never get to see and that's a pity, because sadly I cannot buy everything that comes on the market, at least let me drool at your collections.

I'm certainly no expert, but half the fun for me is helping folks out when I can with info and ideas.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 06:14 PM   #12
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you Stu! BTW love the addition to your location bar on your avatar. 'the city that rocks!'. You folks down there are the most steadfast, resilient ever in the way you handle adversity, and these seemingly neverending quakes are no exception....stay safe my friend!
All the best,
Jim
Thanks Jim