Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th February 2012, 03:47 AM   #1
archer

Default Eight Ring Khanjar

After reading Ibrahiims comments on about the Omani Quba. I went check this one for a quba and noticed for that it had eight rings. Is there a meaning for the additional ring? Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer
After reading Ibrahiims comments on about the Omani Quba. I went check this one for a quba and noticed for that it had eight rings. Is there a meaning for the additional ring? Thanks, Steve
Salaams archer ~ This is a Muscat Khanjar. It carries the similar scabbard to the Royal Khanjar but on occasions it has 8 rings which is apparently simply down to preferred design ... The big difference of course is in the dagger hilt which in Muscat Khanjars is formal (as is yours) as opposed to the Royal shape which you can see at my thread The Omani Khanjar. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
archer

Default Thanks

hello Ibrahiim, I knew you would be able to clarify the additional ring.
Thank you, archer
Old 11th February 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Atlantia

Nice examples Archer, how about showing the blades?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 07:31 PM   #5
archer

Default requested pics

Thanks Atlantia, Both blades are of the two piece fused variety. They came from E Bay, so there's the frequent mystery of what's in store. Overall I like them both. Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 12th February 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12th February 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Atlantia

Quote:
Thanks Atlantia, Both blades are of the two piece fused variety. They came from E Bay, so there's the frequent mystery of what's in store. Overall I like them both. Steve
Really, I wouldn't have guessed they were hollow blades! Very good looking things
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2012, 09:53 PM   #7
archer

Default OOPS

Hi Atlantia, Your eye is better than mine. The Mecca blade stops short of the tip I thought that was a dead give away to a bonded blade. The odd crease
on the mid line of the Muscat blade i took as crushed. It also has a weird Punch like dent on one side that left a bump on the other. They fooled me I now agree that they are whole steel.

Atlantia, You have remote powers, Thanks for assisting a blind dummy.
Attached Images

Old 16th February 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi Atlantia, Your eye is better than mine. The Mecca blade stops short of the tip I thought that was a dead give away to a bonded blade. The odd crease
on the mid line of the Muscat blade i took as crushed. It also has a weird Punch like dent on one side that left a bump on the other. They fooled me I now agree that they are whole steel.

Atlantia, You have remote powers, Thanks for assisting a blind dummy.

Salaams archer... and Atlantia ... great posts. Blades are a great study area. I have seen both bonded two piece blades and the one more commonly associated as "Omani" by definition which appears folded but joined as one piece at the ridge. I need to look at the research more to define when all this started happening.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 16th February 2012, 01:15 PM   #9
A.alnakkas

Ibrahim,

I noticed that most Omani made blades + Saudi made blades generally come forged, are the 2 pieces ones traded from Oman? You also told me before that there are forged trade blades in Oman.. where do they generlaly come from? I am thinking India, but let me know what do you think.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Ibrahim,

I noticed that most Omani made blades + Saudi made blades generally come forged, are the 2 pieces ones traded from Oman? You also told me before that there are forged trade blades in Oman.. where do they generlaly come from? I am thinking India, but let me know what do you think.

Salaams A.alnakkas ~Khanjar Blades ! I was rather evading the issue as I just know this is going to fly in 10 different directions. I always thought the best Omani Khanjar blades were hand made here. There are some top class workshops elsewhere like Kabul, Pakistan, India making actually far superior blades in laminated or wootz but for their own regional varieties of weapon.

What I do know is that blademaker, scabbard and hilt maker, belt maker... they are miles apart here... some several hundred. Getting a difinitive answer on this will take a while but I will find out.
Its odd that Omanis respect all sorts of "knife blades" from Europe Solingen, Sheffield as well as the SHEHE from Mussandam... and home made filed down Bedford truck springs...but for Khanjar blades I need more time...There are even Japanese imports !
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.