Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 16th May 2018, 06:03 PM   #1
kronckew

Default George IV Infantry sword variant.

Acquired this sword today, should be with me next Monday. The 1822 pattern brass hilt with folding guard has the George IV cipher on it, blade appears older, 75cm. long. (29.5in.).

Flank Officer's private purchase?
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 06:07 PM   #2
colin henshaw

Not my area really, but I like it ... congrats. Good form and patina. Is the hilt made of horn ??
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 06:21 PM   #3
kronckew

Can't tell from the photos, does not appear to be worn shagreen/rayskin wire wrap looks original to it. Could be a pale goldish coloured horn. will know more when I pick it up...
Old 16th May 2018, 09:08 PM   #4
M ELEY

I particularly like the blade, definitely older 18th c. or very early 19th, double fullered. I wonder why this was remounted? Very nice piece, Wayne!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 09:49 PM   #5
kronckew

Thanks, George IV ruled 1820-1830 and was succeeded by Queen Victoria, so the brass cypher could only be from that decade. the blade, however, looks more like the late 18 to early 19c you mentioned. I'm wondering if the patination pattern corresponds to remnants of bluing. Ah, well will find out in a few days.

This was the beginning of standardisation of sword patterns, started in 1796, but still a bit flexible. Officers especially (probably exclusively) were still able to be 'flexible' as they were (and still are) expected to buy their own swords in the UK, and in the USA.

I'd guess this was a personally liked blade, possibly an heirloom passed down from a martial daddy that was rehilted to fit in with his regiment. The std. pipe back blade was not all that popular as it wasn't terribly good at slashing, being later replaced by the straighter fullered blade that carried on thru the Victorian era. the troops using pipe backs in crime complained they flexed on Russian greatcoats rather than penetrated. The officer that carried this one probably preferred the cut to the thrust.

Last edited by kronckew; 16th May 2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:11 AM   #6
thinreadline

Typically the grip was made of wood covered in shagreen . I expect this grip had lost its shagreen covering , exposing the wood that has dried out to this horn like colour . It is very unlikely to be horn however. On a purely technical point , George IV was succeeded by his brother William IV rather than by Victoria though.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote