Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th January 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
cannonmn

Default Dutch model cannons 1761

The two cannons shown in the slideshow are about 20 in. long and weigh about 20 lbs. One is a bit lighter and slimmer than the other. Peter Seest was the head of the Amsterdam town foundry when these were cast. One of his biggest customers was the Dutch East India Company. As far as I know he didn't cast any full-sized cannons for the VOC in 1761, because none have been found with that date. He was very busy from 1764 on because many cannons of his with such dates on them are known. In fact I'm guessing many dozens of bronze swivels with his name survive, so his total output may have been many hundreds or more. VOC used swivels of 1/2, 3/4, and 1 pounder caliber but I haven't checked to see if Seest cast all 3 sizes or not.

These two, as far as I can tell, are the only known cannon models by Peter Seest. The "ownership" mark is normally on the breech of the gun, and these have an "OH" monogram in that area. My research on the VOC revealed that their headquarters was a large building in Amsterdam known as the East India House, or in Dutch something like "Ostindische Huis." The "OH" monogram on the breech apparently indicates that these cannons were once the property of the VOC headquarters. Seest may have cast them as salesman's samples to give te VOC officials various models to choose from, but I'm only guessing now. I don't know why the heavier model (marked B in the data table in the slideshow) has the Amsterdam town mark (proofmark) on the breech and the lighter one does not.

Use password "attack" to view slideshow.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...view=slideshow
cannonmn is offline   Reply With Quote