Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2006, 04:39 AM   #1
ariel

Default Indian "executioner" Tulwar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
I cannot believe it was used for execution (decapitation?) purpose. Executioner swords all over the world had two-handed grips and the T-spine is counterproductive on a purely slashing sword. It would only impede a clean cut-through action of decapitation.
It also does not look like a Kirach.
Strangely, it looks like a monstrous Khyber, but I have never seen Khybers with Tulwar handles and, especially, of these dimensions.
The blade looks like Shams damascus. The handguard ends in a "tiger head" : Tippoo?
What is it?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Ariel

This not an INDIAN TULWAR EXECUTIONERS SWORD it's just a large tulwar hilted salawar yatagan. Tega I thought were used to remove heads? They have very heavy blades and they seem more suited for that job. As far as this blade being made from sham wootz I just can't tell the blade is all scratched up it just maybe a poor cleaning job on the blade?

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 02:46 AM   #3
RobT

Default Figiel pg 69

ariel,
Figiel (On Damascus Steel) page 69 shows a tulwar hilted Khyber knife with an overall length of 35".
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 04:23 AM   #4
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
I cannot believe it was used for execution (decapitation?) purpose. Executioner swords all over the world had two-handed grips and the T-spine is counterproductive on a purely slashing sword. It would only impede a clean cut-through action of decapitation.
Thai executioner always use only one-handed Dahb.

And here are their "tools". (sorry that the page 's in Thai)
http://www.correct.go.th/mu/index5.html
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2006, 05:06 AM   #5
Titus Pullo

Nice link, PUFF! Thanks!
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 11:54 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very unusual 'hybrid'. Exactly as noted, this is the blade of a Khyber knife (Salawar yatahan) from typically Afridi and associated tribes of Khyber regions. I personally have never seen a tulwar hilt mounted on one of these, however during the British Raj, the armourers there became quite creative. As we have seen in previous posts of the last couple of years these blades have been mounted in the 'Anglo-Afghan' hilts of Afghan army sabres from end of the 19th century, but it seems doubtful such a blade would have been used in India for a tulwar . The 'executioner' denominator is often imaginitive and often appled to any Oriental sword with exaggerated proportioned blades.
Thus, it is possible that this sword may have been put together in the Northwest Frontier sometime in the early 20th century, but it is completely atypical of the swords usually used in those regions.
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 01:49 PM   #7
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUFF
Thai executioner always use only one-handed Dahb.

And here are their "tools". (sorry that the page 's in Thai)
http://www.correct.go.th/mu/index5.html
I saw the huge cleaver in the webpage. When do the executioners use that cleaver, and when do they use the darb?
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Valjhun

If we stick with the topic. It is a rehilted khyber. Thoose are not rare at all. In the anglo afgan war, brittains employed indian sepoys for fighting the afgans. Think about some looted tulwar, wich hilt was used for rehilting a khyber blade. I can immagine that this was done frequently during thoose years. Take a look at page 243 of Tirri's book.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2006, 08:56 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

These talwar hilted Khyber knives worry me. I am sure weapons were regularly reused and salvaged. I once had one where the tang had a screw thread cut into it and the handle had been tapped, just all a little fishy and to my mind the doubt would far outweigh the cost of this one.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 03:43 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tim,
That what what I was thinking as well, and although I noted the 'creativity' of the armourers of the Northwest Frontier, most Afghans were rather substantial physically and the typically small tulwar and restrictive tulwar hilts would not have agreed with them. By the same token, the Indian warriors of the region, favored slashing blades of sabres, and these heavy Khyber blades would not have been favored. Therefore, this paradoxical example seems unlikely for use, however it does present a rather attractive appearance for souvenier hunters possibly of the Raj period.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 04:04 AM   #11
ariel

here is a true Indian Executioner sword from Leeds Armoury ( I was the photographer, and Richard Avedon I am emphatically not!)
Look at the length of the handle permitting two-hand grip in a multitude of positions, smooth blade without any T-spine, and economical design: short and heavy blade.
Attached Images

Old 18th April 2006, 04:16 AM   #12
Titus Pullo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I saw the huge cleaver in the webpage. When do the executioners use that cleaver, and when do they use the darb?
I read the writing. I think it's for cutting off the feet so that the rope can be taken off after the person has been excecuted. The rope is there to hold the person down tightly, while the ritual dance is being perform.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2006, 12:39 PM   #13
ariel

You want to tell us that there were different implements for each stage of execution? Why didn't they use the same Dha (Darb, Dahb )to cut the rope afterwards? Any ritual significance?
Old 18th April 2006, 12:59 PM   #14
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Nah, not for cutting the rope. But for cleaving the feet.

In some case, the criminal have to wear chain/ring (seems to be hammered in place, no lock, no key). And cutting the feet off seems to be easier than hammering it out.

Dahb 's a weapon and it 's considered to be too high for such purpose. That 's why they use a meat cleaver.

PS: My appologies for being off topic again
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote