Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2005, 06:23 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Telek, and thoughts on Tuareg rebellion

This arrived this morning an ebay purchase only the second one that I have been happy with as soon as I opened the parcel. I have lightly cleaned the blade. The pictures inclued some not taken with the flash to give a better view of "age". This looks Tuareg and not showing any Huasa workmanship to me. It has however got me thinking about the 1917 Tuareg rebellion of which the French seem to carry the dubious honour of its surpression. I think some of this honour must surely be placed at the feet of the British who had control of the SE areas of Tuareg influence. I am pretty sure that is where the colonial governor would want it to stay.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Tim

Very nice find! The dagger has great patina on it and the scabbard is in terrific shape.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Something a little more interesting about this dagger is that it is of unusual thick section and thicker towards the piont. I could just be getting carried away romanticly but it would serve very well for piercing mail. I know some of you are quite keen on Taureg and Huasa pieces, have you blades that look like they have mail piercing potential? I have a lance with a mail piercing blade. I will see if I can get a picture to show this latter this evening. Tim
Old 7th September 2005, 06:49 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

I would just like to start off say that I am not trying to state anything as a fact. Another reason why I thought maybe this is possibly mail piercing, is that the whole blade is rigid right down through the forte and I do not recall ever handleing a Telek before with a blade that does not flex especially at the forte and also getting thicker at the pionted end. I cannot see bad forging for a reason. Of its type this is a good quality weapon made for use. Anyway here are some pictures that might help illustrate my thinking. Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 7th September 2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: SPELLING!!!Spelling SpellingSpellingSpelling
Old 5th August 2013, 07:03 PM   #5
hastubbs

Thumbs up good purchase on this telek!

Hi,

sorry, i am new and catching up. this is a good reason to monitor eBay!

nice job,

cheers,
skip
hastubbs is offline   Reply With Quote