Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 4th March 2014, 07:44 AM   #31
rasjid

Hi Erik. At the moment just keep it as it is. I haven't decided what to do with this sunggingan. I have a couple rongko which i set up with the mendak, handle, and pendok then I put it inside a frame and display on the wall without the blade. So I don’t have to worry rusty blade.
Just as a display in the office.

Below sample of my frame used to display the handle. All sealed up with screws. If someone take it, has to be the whole lot.....
Attached Images

Last edited by rasjid; 4th March 2014 at 07:58 AM.
rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 05:33 PM   #32
GIO

Default Sunggingan

Hi Rashid
Really a wonderful piece. It shows an experienced and exquisite hand, but are you sure that it is intended to hold a blade and is not a virtuosity of the artist ?
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 05:37 PM   #33
GIO

Default Sunggingan

Rasjid, please apologize, I have written incorrectly your name
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 06:30 PM   #34
erikscollectables

Hello Rasjid, wonderfull display, I love it!

Regards, Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasjid
Hi Erik. At the moment just keep it as it is. I haven't decided what to do with this sunggingan. I have a couple rongko which i set up with the mendak, handle, and pendok then I put it inside a frame and display on the wall without the blade. So I don’t have to worry rusty blade.
Just as a display in the office.

Below sample of my frame used to display the handle. All sealed up with screws. If someone take it, has to be the whole lot.....
erikscollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 06:51 AM   #35
rasjid

Hi Gio and Erik,

Sorry for low quality picture because the file too big and I'm using freeware to reduce the file size.

I collect keris and handles either new or old as long as "good" quality in my terms. Quality always has different meaning to each person. This frame holds cirebon handles, Bali, etc from wood, bones, and horn. Every carver I believe is different and they have their character and sometime they want to make a little signatures or change according to customer requirements.

So, yes this is still a keris handle. I'm watching few carvers as they started learning the Tajong from spirit of wood book. I even give them the book and print some copies from the internet. Just to show them and nowadays you can see quality tajong around at "affordable" price compared to few years back.The rest is in their hand.
Some turn out very good quality some lower but always got the market for it.

Erik, this is very simple frame with internal dimension of 4cm thickness so for bigger frame around 70cm height I can fit one keris as a display.

thanks
Rasjid
rasjid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 02:11 PM   #36
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
As somebody who does sell keris I'm a bit handicapped when it comes to posting photos of things, because for a few years now I've been selling items from my personal collection, and I do not wish to infringe the rules by posting pics of things that I might offer for sale at any time in the near future.

Then there is the other thing that I will not show the blade of any keris or other piece of tosan aji that I have no intention of selling.

So put together it means that there are not a whole lot of things that I can post pics of.

However, what I've posted here are pretty safe:- I have no intention of offering any of these items for sale in the near future, and you do not need to see blades to appreciate what I am showing.

Here are a few of my sunggingans.

What you see is a mix of older pieces and more recent ones that were done by Pak Legiman of Pajang in the late 1980's. Pak Legiman at the time was widely regarded as one of the finest sunggingan artists who had ever lived.

Enjoy.

Dear Alan, I just have nose bleed. SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #37
David
Keris forum moderator

Since Alan goes on to explain many of the terms and color associations discussed in this thread on another i am going to post a link to that thread here for convenience sake.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...painted+pendok
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 08:44 PM   #38
A. G. Maisey

Please accept my apologies Anthony.

But yes, most of these sunggingans are a cut above.

There are some nice old sunggingans in the Museum Radya Pustaka in Solo too. I'll put up some pics if i have time.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote