Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 20th April 2019, 08:56 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Swiss Sword

Picked up this Swiss sword, always admired the Swiss, and I have a German aunt & Swiss uncle there. Säbel für unberittene Offiziere. (sabre for unmounted officers).

Any Idea how old? Solingen blade, Pipe back, quill point. Few dings on the scabbard.

Pipe backs are not too good for cutting, but look cool, always liked the raised 'yelman' look on the back of the quill point ones, this is my first. Have an Italian Mounted artillery officer's sword with a pipe back spine but no 'yelman'.

Anyone know how to remove the dents?
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 20th April 2019 at 09:16 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 12:25 PM   #2
MForde

I've heard of a variety of strange techniques for removing the dents (filling the scabbard with sand, for instance) but I've never had a go myself. The 'normal' way was to use a metal mandrel shaped specifically for the scabbard type which slides inside allowing the use of a hammer on the outside to work on the dent.
MForde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 12:59 PM   #3
kronckew

Ah,well. I am mandrell free, thanks anyway.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:03 PM   #4
Will M

I have 3 mandrels, previous Wilkinson's I picked up without knowing what they fit. I found that if not the exact one that they will not work very well.
You will need a specific mandrel. The cost of reproducing one would be prohibitive, best to enjoy the sword as is unless you have deep pockets.
I have attempted using pieces of steel but inevitably the dents that remain are a tell tale that someone stuck something down them.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2019, 02:17 PM   #5
drac2k

Very nice sword; I am also a fan of Quill Back swords and bayonets.
In regards to the dents on the scabbards, I have been told by more than a few collectors that this was done on purpose to keep the sword from rattling or even from falling out on a loose fit. I have also been told that one can remove the dents by filling the scabbard with water and freezing it, however, I have never tried this myself.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 09:49 AM   #6
kronckew

Someone has recommended using brown unpolished organic rice, poured down the scabbard, then soaked in water. the rice swells and pushes out dents in hard to reach objects like this. You wash out the rice with a hose or pressure washer when it is where you want it (and before it pops the seams* ).

The rice husks keep the rice from sticking together and becoming a sticky compressed block of rice epoxy. (the great wall was made with over-boiled rice paste as mortar & it's is still there, rice glue is quite common I hear in the orient, so using sticky rice is not a good idea). I am a bit reluctant to use these methods.

The deliberate anti-rattle device sounds good to me.

*- I recall reading about a wood hulled sailing cargo ship with a cargo of rice where they sprung a leak & did not realise it, they faithfully used a sounding rod to measure any water in the bilges each watch, and it didn't show any. The rice absorbed all the water, then suddenly burst he hull and it sank in a few minutes.

Last edited by kronckew; 21st April 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 21st April 2019, 10:23 AM   #7
corrado26

The main reason for this dents is that the sabre when worn very often got into contact with shutting doors! Filling with water and freeze it might be the best solution to even the dents because it is easily to be removed
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 10:50 AM   #8
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
The main reason for this dents is that the sabre when worn very often got into contact with shutting doors! Filling with water and freeze it might be the best solution to even the dents because it is easily to be removed
corrado26
Might try that next winter when I'll have a large freezer to put it in. (called Outside )

Dogs have a similar problem with their tails and those hydraulic door mechanisms at the top that closes slowly till the last few inches when it slams. I have to be careful to let my dog go thru first