Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th December 2011, 01:09 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default another hat for comment

Can any members help with the part of the world this hat comes from. When I bought it over 20 years ago I was told it was Palestinian . Thank you.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Can any members help with the part of the world this hat comes from. When I bought it over 20 years ago I was told it was Palestinian . Thank you.
Salaams ~ Looks like brass chain and low content silver possibly white metal of some sort with coin adornment and some glass beads in blue and green... Ok it may be Palestinian ( I need to forage into my Palestinian reference books for costume etc etc ) Hats is a massive subject so I was surprised you didnt stick this on your already existing thread on the subject. Regards Ibrahiim
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 04:08 PM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams ~ Looks like brass chain and low content silver possibly white metal of some sort with coin adornment and some glass beads in blue and green... Ok it may be Palestinian ( I need to forage into my Palestinian reference books for costume etc etc ) Hats is a massive subject so I was surprised you didnt stick this on your already existing thread on the subject. Regards Ibrahiim
Salaams Ibrahiim
Your help as always is most appreciated .. I did not think to add this to my existing thread , the protocol of such things is new to me . Yes the metal is silver or white metal and there are glass beads and coin like discs in copper or bronze with some silver coloured ones too.
Richmond
Old 28th December 2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

You are truly a man of many hats Readline !!
Seriously, while these items deviate considerably from the arms and armour course of the forum, their interest factor cannot be discounted. It is always interesting to see the material culture that surrounds the ethnographic weapons we study, and offers intriguing perspective.
It would be interesting to see items of weaponry associated with the people using these...for example with the Fulani hat you showed on the other thread, I have seen photos of these tribesmen wearing similar hats and wearing takoubas.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
You are truly a man of many hats Readline !!
Seriously, while these items deviate considerably from the arms and armour course of the forum, their interest factor cannot be discounted. It is always interesting to see the material culture that surrounds the ethnographic weapons we study, and offers intriguing perspective.
It would be interesting to see items of weaponry associated with the people using these...for example with the Fulani hat you showed on the other thread, I have seen photos of these tribesmen wearing similar hats and wearing takoubas.
Thank you Jim .... in my youth I was known as 'Two Hats' ... I seem to have accumulated many more as time has passed ! Appreciate the tolerance shown towards my divergences , but agree with you that these associated items do give a fuller picture of cultures, materials & methods of construction as well as showing elements of decorative motifs that are shared with weaponry.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Thank you Jim .... in my youth I was known as 'Two Hats' ... I seem to have accumulated many more as time has passed ! Appreciate the tolerance shown towards my divergences , but agree with you that these associated items do give a fuller picture of cultures, materials & methods of construction as well as showing elements of decorative motifs that are shared with weaponry.

Salaams Two Hats ! I recommend to Forum the book; Palestinian Costume by Shelagh Weir printed by the British Museum: ISBN: 0 7141 2517 2.

Therein are the pictures on ladies Head dress as below..and one showing a Palestinian as consulate guard with a staff weapon and a Shamshir Sword.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 29th December 2011, 12:12 PM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Salaams Two Hats ! I recommend to Forum the book; Palestinian Costume by Shelagh Weir printed by the British Museum: ISBN: 0 7141 2517 2.

Therein are the pictures on ladies Head dress as below..and one showing a Palestinian as consulate guard with a staff weapon and a Shamshir Sword.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Well done Ibrahiim ! This would seem to be exact confirmation of what I was told when I bought it all thoses years ago. Thank you very much. The book seems extremely useful .
Old 29th December 2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Well done Ibrahiim ! This would seem to be exact confirmation of what I was told when I bought it all thoses years ago. Thank you very much. The book seems extremely useful .

Salaams thinreadline ~ Always a pleasure to help especially on any of the books I have which are all generally weird and on the face of it totally unrelated to ethnoraphic arms and armour but which present another view on the broader aspects of Forum study and support. Ibrahiim.
Old 29th December 2011, 06:30 PM   #9
thinreadline

Quote:
Salaams thinreadline ~ Always a pleasure to help especially on any of the books I have which are all generally weird and on the face of it totally unrelated to ethnoraphic arms and armour but which present another view on the broader aspects of Forum study and support. Ibrahiim.
I thank you and add that it is always helpful to see weapons in the context of their culture, so dress and jewellery , religious & domestic items are all of interest to me.