Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2015, 05:03 PM   #1
trenchwarfare

Thanks for the comments, and compliments Rick. Given the smooth patina on the gun, I feel that it is contemporary to the age of the lock. Barrel is smooth bore, so my "shot flask" theory is plausible. The little pouch on the sling, does contain patches. The "wood" flask, is actually horn. Probably Ram. The leaver on the side, has a natural spring effect, opening, and closing with pressure. The plug is internal. The curved horn thingys are probably as you said, a rifle rest, or multiple other uses. The flask, has the same carved "birds head" device, the horn thingys have. Will try to take more pictures. Yes, this the most beautiful, and complete weapon of it's type, I have ever seen. Makes me want to build a mannequin around it. I have a sword, and dagger.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 05:10 PM   #2
ward

usually there is only 1 of these odd horn pieces in the back. Since I am not sure what it is used for I do not understand why yours has 2 towards the buckle. It is the 1st time I have seen a belt with 2 horn pieces.
Attached Images

ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 06:42 PM   #3
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
usually there is only 1 of these odd horn pieces in the back. Since I am not sure what it is used for I do not understand why yours has 2 towards the buckle. It is the 1st time I have seen a belt with 2 horn pieces.
Hi Ward.
Thanks for these additional photos. There's those horn things again. Hmmm...
Now these look like they had some type of rope or twine inter-wrapped around them (?) I still A real mystery.
Rick.

As long as we're talking Jazails, I'll post another today.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 08:31 PM   #4
ward

I found a couple more of this type in another pile of belts.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2015, 11:07 PM   #5
trenchwarfare

Ward, that must be one impressive box-o-belts you have!?
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 11:12 PM   #6
ward

I got into collecting belts for a number of years. I think they are interesting. The brass chains on those things act as suspenders. Probably a idea copied off the British soldiers
Old 27th July 2015, 02:03 AM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I got into collecting belts for a number of years. I think they are interesting. The brass chains on those things act as suspenders. Probably a idea copied off the British soldiers
Hi Ward.
Another really nice set!! And there's those horn things again. The possible use of those chains as suspenders or shoulder harness is something I never thought of. Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for posting and your comments.

All the accessory belts above make mine look like it's been scavaged!.
LOL.
Rick.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2015, 06:38 PM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Thanks for the comments, and compliments Rick. Given the smooth patina on the gun, I feel that it is contemporary to the age of the lock. Barrel is smooth bore, so my "shot flask" theory is plausible. The little pouch on the sling, does contain patches. The "wood" flask, is actually horn. Probably Ram. The leaver on the side, has a natural spring effect, opening, and closing with pressure. The plug is internal. The curved horn thingys are probably as you said, a rifle rest, or multiple other uses. The flask, has the same carved "birds head" device, the horn thingys have. Will try to take more pictures. Yes, this the most beautiful, and complete weapon of it's type, I have ever seen. Makes me want to build a mannequin around it. I have a sword, and dagger.
Hi Trench.
OK. A smoothbore. That makes the "shot" theory a little more plausible as you say. That rams horn flask is probably a seperate priming flask. But I don't think the gun is too contemporary per say. Possibly newly stocked in the late 19th Century utilizing an older lock and/or barrel. That would have been quite common. I think it's ALL the genuine article.
Rick.