Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th August 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
CutlassCollector

Default Pirate Bullova Axe?

Hi,

This axe lives in a museum and is marked as a boarding axe of unknown origin which is fair enough considering the langets, a lanyard ring and a belt hook.
My knowledge of axes from India is hazy to say the least but this looks a bit like some I have seen.
Can any one identify it by the blade shape?
Does the handle decoration suggests any region?
I'm wondering whether it is an ethnic axe modified for naval use or forged as one of a kind.
It is 29.5 inches (75cm) long and the blade is 12 inches (30cm) long and very sharp.

CC
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 12:23 AM   #2
BBJW

For what it's worth it doesn't look Indian to me, but European.--bj

PS- I should have added that it seems a bit long for a naval boarding axe and naval axes usually had a spike to help pull away fallen rigging. The head also IMHO looks 'recycled'. Nice piece.- bj

Last edited by BBJW; 28th August 2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: additional thought
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 10:57 AM   #3
CutlassCollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW
For what it's worth it doesn't look Indian to me, but European.--bj

PS- I should have added that it seems a bit long for a naval boarding axe and naval axes usually had a spike to help pull away fallen rigging. The head also IMHO looks 'recycled'. Nice piece.- bj
Hi Bj,

Yes I agree boarding axes generally have spikes and don't look like this at all. I think this is a one of a kind personal weapon. The lanyard ring and belt hook make me think naval but I am open to all suggestions.
Scandinavian boarding axes were often around this length or even longer so European is still an option.

CC
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
kronckew

wow. gorgeous axe. i'm jealous. i agree with the european personal weapon analysis. the belt clip screams maritime.

only the officers on naval vessels were allowed personal weapons beyond their utility knives, tho of course that did not apply to merchies, privateers and pirates. they were normally just issued as part of the 'beat to quarters'. for those who wonder what that was: a drummer would beat out the rhythm that signaled general quarters - all hands man your battle stations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9tmPVvi7uo (less the cymbals tho)

most boarding axes were fairly long, and while they were certainly used as weapons, they were mostly for clearing & cutting away rigging and breaching doors/barricades, etc. and were a bit cumbersome. you'd likely lose against a sword or pike. this one looks light and very deadly.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote