Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Radu Transylvanicus

Default Visit to INDONESIA

Hello everyone, I know I wasnt posting in a long time and I will rectify that, thank you to all my friends that e-mailed me and invited me back.
Here is my question:
I am so excited: I AM FINALLY GOING TO INDONESIA in a month !!!
I will also visit Singapore (two day and half only) I will spend a week in Java, in Solo and ten days in Bali, posibly a day trip to Lombok.
Question number one: where do I see kerises and Indonesian weaponry, museums or collection or simply traditional villages.
Question number two: where is a good market to get kerises?
Question number three: am I suppose to know anything else?
Terima kasih banyak-banyak !
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Spunjer

to surf???

you lucky dog, you...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Rad-Dude
L.T.N.S.
When in Singapore visit Adni !

http://www.geocities.com/keris4u/#About%20the%20gallery
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Radu Transylvanicus

Kewl, Adni "House of Keris" it is... Maybe I can score Malay there and hold my finaces until in Java and Bali for the rest. These "things" dont get any cheaper nowadays, good pieces price rival my custom .308 Win. Remington (no scope of course...)
Old 15th July 2006, 08:40 PM   #5
Mick

Radu

The museum in Jakarta has a huge pile of Kerises and other weapons on display. The second floor (if the layout is still the same) has a room full of National Treasure material.

The museum in Bali has been improved since I was there last and has a bit of fine material available. Look at these items carefully in order to determine the difference between original material and new items. Bali is now making fine keris dress (as well as junk) so you will see good material around the better shops. There used to be "runners" who would dig up good material years ago, but I suspect that good old material is long gone from the island. These people probably still exist, but I would look very carefully if something looked good. It will probably be new, but as I said they are making some fine new material there. Telling their material from that from Madura would be difficult for someone who is not well qualified, but good work is still good work.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 11:06 PM   #6
Andrew

Awesome trip, Radu. I'm jealous!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 01:05 AM   #7
Mudi

Pak Radu

Welcome to Indonesia soon. Be careful for spicy food and lady from Madura! Ha ha. In Jakarata National museum called museum gajah. Most keris upstair in treasure rooms. Ask driver also to bring to Jalan Surabaya. Many shop like flea market Portobello road in London there. Hati hati mean be careful. Many kriminal there and many fakes but good thing can be found in the shops. Be sure to negotiate price for anything you like. As a tip for you I give you secret. When talking price, you can say near end ask Harga Mati? That mean last best price you ask. In Indonesia negotiate price. It is part of culture. For tamu which mean guest price ask always higher. That OK if you understand. Also in Jakarta when meet Indonesian very nice to say Salam and gesture with right hand flat and bring to chest. This give you right away respect and appreciate for you polite.

In Bali two good place for keris asli. Best first place in kampung Batuan. Pande Retug live there. He is expert for keris and have many good keris for sale. You need driver speak good English take you there. Pande Retug only speak bahasa Bali and bahasa Indonesia. Pande Retug famous even on National Geographic TV about Bali. With driver for translate ask Pande Retug about pamor. He explain very well. If you need personal keris good for you he is best to go. Even high priest in Bali consult Pande Retug.

Second good place is Pak Yan. He in Batuan also. Pak Yan father start business many years ago. His business first antique business in Bali. He also make and sell furniture so do not have confusion. His shop on main road in Batuan. Driver will know. He have many good keris and he speak English OK. His keris not on display. Ask there for Pak Yan and say I like keris asli. He has many but Pande Retug have more. For polite in Bali when first meet Bali person give om and you get respect. Om is hold both hand together like to pray and place on chest with small bend of head. If you want make real good first impression to first time meeting orang di Bali say Om Swastiastu when gesture Om. Swastiastu sound like spell. Swassss.....ti.....aaaaas....tu. I wish you have good trip to Indonesia. We like to have tamu guest visit. Not for money like some may think. To share and learn is most in heart.
Mudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Radu Transylvanicus

WOW, what a wealth of information! Thanks to all of you, especially Rick, Mick amd Mudi, I would take it easy on the spices, as far the Madurese babes, am a chick magnet, I have no control over but my wife does though! Imagine what a faisty Lorena Bobbit mind could do with a three and a half feet long cavalry saber in one hand and a dha in the other. Not funny...
Just kidding, thank you for the culture lesson as well, excellent, I promise pictures including from the elephant jungle safari...