Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th September 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
nKante

Default Pangolin scale

I finally got a picture of my Pangolin scale armor. The scales are pretty big, but they match the size and shape from the artist rendering. What do you think katana, dan?
Attached Images

nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
fearn

Hi NKante,

That's neat! Is that a picture of you in the armor? I assume those scales are from a giant pangolin?

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2008, 10:24 PM   #3
nKante

Yes, I'm the sexy one by himself. No they aren't real pangolin scales. They are rawhide imported from africa. These cattle were pretty small compared to domestic ones, it took two hides. They are also thinner than domestics. I backed every other row of scales with plastic for added protection.
Old 28th September 2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

If I may add as well...........IMPRESSIVE WORK!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
katana

Hi nKante ,
excellent work I dare you to wear it in the 'street' ...you might even start a new fashion but, with fashion you have to ''accessorise' .....so whats next...the helmet ...or the face guard ???

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 11:51 PM   #6
nKante

I really want to do the helm next. I would do a standard 'bowl' with patterned bumps to represent the hard crocadile helms the wore into combat. I am trying to design an africanized bargrill that would represent my open face. My current helm is standard issue. I blackened it and added beads to the back to represent hair. You can see me wearing it with my old rig.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Higpmx-HwQM
Old 30th September 2008, 02:17 AM   #7
fearn

Hi nKante,

Sounds like a nice project. What are the standards you have to build the helmet to? Can you incorporate the neck piece as part of your face protection?

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 07:21 PM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

VERY COOL , YOU THE MAN

FROM WHAT LITTLE I KNOW OF THIS TYPE OF ARMOR IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE NECK PROTECTION MAY BE A SERIES OF RING NECKLACES. THE BOTTOM ONE HAS SPIKES POINTING UPWARD WHICH WOULD KEEP THE WEIGHT OF THE OTHER RINGS ON THAT NECK RING WHICH WOULD BE DESIGNED TO FIT SECURELY AND COMFORTABLY. THE OTHERS COULD BE SEPARATE RINGS STACKED UP OR FASTENED TOGETHER? THE TOP NECKLACES MIGHT HOOK INTO THE HELMET BUT THE MIDDLE ONES WOULD BE FREE SO AS NOT TO RESTRICT HEAD AND NECK MOVEMENT. THE ARM PIECES WOULD BE PANGOLIN AND THE WRISTS AND LOWER LEGS WERE PROTECTED WITH METAL BRACLETS & ANKLETS. THIS PARTICULAR FORM OF ARMOR WOULD HAVE ONLY BEEN AVAILABLE TO THE ELITE GAURD OF THE KINGS AND OTHER ROYALTY AS CAN BE SEEN IN MANY EXAMPLES OF THE CAST METAL ART. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH LOGICAL GUESSES WHICH MIGHT HELP YOU BUILD THE REST OF THE ARMOR I CAN'T GAURANTEE THE ACCURACY PERHAPS SOMEONE WITH MORE KNOWLEGE ON THE SUBJECT CAN CORRECT ME WHERE I AM WRONG.
IN TRIBAL ARMOR OF THIS SORT THE MORE NOISE IT MADE WHEN CHARGEING THE BETTER AS IT WOULD TEND TO BE MORE TERRIFING WHEN FACEING THE CHARGE OF THE ELITE GAURD. THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN WORN AROUND THE KINGS HOME AND BY THE GAURD SURROUNDING THE KING AT BATTLES. THE GOLDEN PANGOLIN NEVER BEING TOO COMMON WOULD HAVE LIMITED THE NUMBER OF SETS OF ARMOR BUT PERHAPS OTHER THINGS WERE USED AS YOU HAVE IN YOUR ARMOR. THE SKIN OFF THE CROCODILES BACK WOULD INDEED MAKE A GOOD HELMET, PERHAPS YOU CAN GET SOME AS THE BELLY SKIN IS ALL THAT GETS USED FOR PURSES AND SUCH THE BACK USUALLY BEING DISCARDED AT REPTILE FARMS. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
nKante

The bottom row of spikes were leopard teeth spaced on coral necklace. The entire collar is attached just like a bevor allowing the head to turn inside. I would try to add this element to the design of my helmet, but I've decided to try and represent my big sexy african lips. This is a photo of a king in coral regalia.
Attached Images