Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th November 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Barrett Hiebert

Default Kindjal, European Counterpart, hanger???

Greetings,

I am interested in what are the hanger, the kindjal, and the difference between the two. Would anybody be able to tell me about these weapons please?Thankyou very much, and look forward to learning. Have a good day, all! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Barrett Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Emanuel

Hello Barrett,

I don't think the two types of swords are alike, so "counterparts" would perhaps not be the best term. As I understand it, the kindjal is a Caucasian (Georgian) weapon, mostly a side-arm as it ranges from small to medium-sized. The larger qama and qaddara variants are Persian I believe, and may be found quite far in the Islamic world. Forum-members Rivkin and Ariel are very knowledgeable of these swords: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=kindjal

I have always thought that hangers were the ubiquitous hunting-swords hung up on walls of 19th century mansions/castles. May not be the most accurate definition though.

All the best,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 06:21 PM   #3
wolviex

The term hanger might be derived from the swords hanging on the wall - but probably only in few languages while in other genesis is different.

First difference is that kindjals are always (well there might existing some exceptions maybe?) double-edged, usually straight, blade is quite wide, there is no hilt in European meaning and the grip is open, very often narrowing in the middle.
While most hangers are single-edged, straight or curved, and the grip might be both: open or close. Theye were usually used for hunting from the 16th century, but spread wide from the second half of the 17th century. Most of the hangers we have in collections are 18th century (2nd half) and 19th century, and from the 2nd half the latter we usually get hangers made for foresters. The very typical hanger used to have shell-shape shield at the hilt curved to the blade and partially covered the open of the sheath. You will find also many hunting motifs on the blade and hilt.
Military hangers existed also in some armies but it seems to me that it wasn't very popular weapon.
This is in very short summary !
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 09:18 PM   #4
Barrett Hiebert

Greetings,

Thanks for all your help, Manolo, and Wolviex. The thread Manolo, you gave me, and the short summary have been very helpful. If I have any more questions I shall ask, as I have one. What is the difference between the khanjar and the kindjal. Sometimes I even find references of the kindjal being curved. Could someone please explain this to me, please! Thankyou very much, and have a good day! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Barrett Hiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hi Barrett,

The khanjar is more or less interchangeable with jambiya, depending where you go. I understand jambiya is specifically Yemeni (or is it Omani?) while khanjar applies to the rest of the muslim world and India. It is a curved dagger, invariably double edged. They range from small to quite large ones like the Arabian Wahabyte jambiya. The kindjal on the other hand is usually straight as Wolviex said, but there are examples of curved ones. Actually, depending on where you are, some khanjar/jambiya really border the line to being kindjal/qama IMHO. I've seen some Ottoman examples like this.

Use the search function on this forum, you'll find a treasure trove of info on virtually any weapon you can think of. I also recommend looking at www.oriental-arms.com, as they have a massive database of oriental and other weapons with good pictures and descriptions.

All the best,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote