Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th January 2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Jens Nordlunde

Default The Moser Collection 1912

Here is a picture from Henri Moser’s catalogue from 1912, showing part of his collection.
Henri Moser von Charlottenfels gave his big collection of oriental weapons and other things to Historisches Museum in Bern, Switzerland in 1914. Henri Moser, although Swiss, grew up in Sct. Petersburg, where his farther was watchmaker of some renown as Fabergé used his watches. When Henri was old enough, he was sent to school in Switzerland, and returned later to Russia. As he found watch making a bit dull, he joined the army, and started travelling in Russia and other countries, after he had been promoted lieutenant. In the foreword to the 1912 catalogue he writes, that some of the weapons he bought for a bottle of Vodka. The main part of his Indian collection he bought in London.
Attached Images

Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 10:33 PM   #2
B.I

a really fascinating man, jens. he and his wife both travelled east many times. there is a great image of him and his wife at a bazaar (in klays biography), with the sellers laying their wares out on front for them to browse and choose. it was the time to collect. i'm sure he participated in the the retrieval of pieces from st. irene when it was transfered to the military museum, hence the great ottoman pieces (armour). a man of great taste, although he tended to aim for the more ornate. as all the books i have on him are written in german (very annoying as they are well studied books), i was unaware that he bought in england. i assumed that most eastern pieces came from source, and through the parisian sales of the time.
like stibbert, he had an inclination to wear his collection on a regular basis
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 02:44 AM   #3
Andrew

Thank you for sharing this with us, Jens. Once again, you tempt me with Indian delicacies!

I can only assume such richly dressed weapons were reserved for the nobility. Are similar items still seen on the market?

Best,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 03:27 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Andrew, I can answer that question with a yes but...at such quality, up to $10,000+
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 09:14 AM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

Like Battarra says, pieces like this can still be bought, but they are far apart, and the price is very high.
Here is another one.
Attached Images

Old 21st January 2005, 03:48 PM   #6
RSWORD

I believe the 2nd picture grouping are Bhukaran examples. Lovely and quite rare. The piece in the middle with the large Rhino horn handle is especially lovely.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Andrew,

Maybe you can be ‘trapped’ into the Indian area; there are still many parts of witch you have not seen.
I will bring more pictures to show you what you have ‘missed’. I am crying for you – but it is you choice.

Jens
Old 23rd January 2005, 04:07 AM   #8
Andrew

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Hi Andrew,

Maybe you can be ‘trapped’ into the Indian area; there are still many parts of witch you have not seen.
I will bring more pictures to show you what you have ‘missed’. I am crying for you – but it is you choice.

Jens
Hi Jens,

I'm not in any danger of abandoning my dha, but you do know my weaknesses.

In the black and white photo towards the top of the thread, I note an unusual "hooked" bladed katar. This configuration seems counter-intuitive for a punching weapon. Have you seen or handled one like it?

Best,
Andrew
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2005, 09:51 AM   #9
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Andrew,
The ‘hooked’ katar is indeed a most unusual katar type. Unfortunately I have only seen this type on pictures, and Moser has written very little about it. ‘Hooked katar with pierced side guards’. One thing you can be sure of is, that next time I get to Bern to see the collection; I will be looking for it.

Hi Artzi,
You are right, Henri Moser had a fantastic collection, 1300 weapons, and about the same number of manuscripts, textiles and other artefacts. It is a pity that Ernst is not at the museum any more, and that they have taken the exhibition of the weapon down – who knows when ti will be on exhibition again.
Attached Images

Old 23rd January 2005, 02:48 PM   #10
tom hyle

the wootz samples are interesting. Note the rungs do not go all the way across on the Kirk Narduban example; the notches appear to have been forged down in making the curve/bevel. I notice the hooked katar is the kind with a rivetted blade. Thes blades are often or usually remounts from other sources (commonly cut up obsolete European swords though of course that is not the case here).

Last edited by tom hyle; 23rd January 2005 at 04:12 PM. Reason: clarity
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2017, 07:59 AM   #11
estcrh

Does anyone have other Moser images?
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote