Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th May 2010, 03:13 AM   #1
katana

Default Medieval knife and other medieval items ???

I wondered whether anyone recognises the maker's mark on what is believed to be a medieval knife.

The knife is,I believe a small eating/utility knife commonly carried during this era. The blade has a tapered grind, distal taper and rounded shoulders. The blade, even though very rusty seems very well made. The rat-tail tang is rectangular (cross-section) and tapers away from the blade ...and is bent over at the end. Likely a wooden/antler/horn handle was on the knife originally.. and is now long gone. The blade marking is deeply impressed, but some corrosion has 'blurred' some of the edges of the stamp. Blade approx 10cms (4") tang approx 7cms (3 3/4")

The other items are possibly a chape from perhaps a rondel dagger, a hanging loop for a scabbard * (I believe these were found together...so likely from the same scabbard ) and a belt buckle.

* could even be from a horse bit/bridle

All comments gratefully received, advice as to how to concerve them also appreciated, thank you

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up

You may wish to look for a Museum of London publication by Cowgill, J., et.al. entitled Medieval Finds from Excavations in London:1 Knives and Scabbards. London, Her Majesty's Stationary Office, 1987. There are three pages (21 - 24) of illustrations of maker's marks, though I do not see any exact match for yours. A number of knives are also illustrated and your blade does appear to fit the overall pattern expected from a medieval knife.

As to conservation, please refer to this previous thread, specifically Matchlock's advice.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
stekemest

The key belongs to the 16th to 18th century.
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 01:51 PM   #4
katana

Hi Lee ,
thank you, so much, for your reply and the information.....and sorry for the delay. Would you mind posting a scan of some of the 'similar' knives, I have had difficulty in finding images.

Hi Stekemest,
I did consider one of the objects as a broken key....but the 'loop' is flat (in cross section) and would not be comfortable to 'turn' (as a key) as the edges would 'dig into' the fingers.

I have continued to search for a similar marking (on the knife) ....but have been unsucessful. (searching ALL eras ie Medieval onwards)

Kind Regards David
Old 11th May 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
junker

Default Marks

Hi Katana,
this marks are in the catalogue of the wallace collection. But sorry, i guess no one fits well.
Although if you want to any one the desription i will copy it for you.
(May you can help me with my tsuba in the other tread)
regards Dirk
Attached Images

junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 06:04 PM   #6
katana

Hi Dirk,
thank you for your contribution and apologies for the delay in replying

The search continues for the knife's maker............

Kind Regards David

PS Sorry Dirk, my knowledge of Tsuba is limited ....but feel the script is a later 'addition'.