Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th August 2017, 02:45 AM   #1
silberschatzimsee

Default wawel castle armoury and krakow national museum

To cut it short, i cant really recommend the wawel castle.

Things that kind of killed it for me.

1! counter for hundreds of visitors. so having to wait for some hours is considered normal
Limited access, they only grant 500 visitors or so per day in to the amoury.
Besides of the nice canons not really much to see there. Just basic stuff which leads to next big minus point.
Picture takeing strictly not allowed, not even without flash!
So studying the weapons at home is not wanted maybe in order to prevent people realizing that there mostly only average stuff inside

On my first day after i saw the queue, i decided to come early in the morning on the second day after i realising there is only one counter to handle the masses. Still had to wait like for an hour on the next day. So after obstacle was cleared i was happy to make some pics......
Bad then the bad suprise. Inside there were like 8 attendants rushing through the few rooms with a single task only in order to prevent people taking pictures. Maybe it was just me but the athmospere was rather unpleasent.
Yeah i mean their house and their rules but then haveing a lot of the weaponary exposed to daylight didnt make much sense to me.

Anyway i found this picture of the canons in the internet

and now to krakow national museum.
What a difference

2 counters therefor hardly no waiting time(eventhough Leonardos "Lady with an Ermine" attracted a lot of visitors) see below for a photograph.
picture takeing of their exhibits was endorsed and induced

I estimate the exhibition size as big as the wallace colection. Maybe not so fine weaponory as in London but more interactive for the visitors. They also have some interesting very guns on display. like there was a 9 barreld gun, hand mortars ect.
There a also a few computer stations to play around with and replica amoury to try on like on that bloke below.

I can 100% recommend a visit there.
If one views Wawel castle armoury from outside nothing really was missed.

Last edited by silberschatzimsee; 27th August 2017 at 02:57 AM.
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote