Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 25th January 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
danhiman

Default Help Identifing this piece

I have owned this piece for 5 years now. It smells strong of copper. Its a little top heavy, but seems to aid in its swing. It looks as if it was used.
Attached Images

danhiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Atlantia

Hi Danhiman
Welcome to the forums.
Looks like you have a copper copy of a bronze age sword that has been cast with the hilt parts combined.
I'm not an expert, but to be it looks like a slight mix of 'Witham' (antenna style) and classic leaf shaped sytles.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 01:39 AM   #3
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Danhiman,

And welcome to our forums.

This item doubtlessly shows the type of a Bronze Age sword , ca. 2200 to 1200 BC, with an unusually high content of copper in the brass alloy forming the bronze. Whether it's a copy of an original item or not I am not able to tell from the images.

The double scroll pommel is, as Gene has pointed out, of a rare form diverging from the antenna type.

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 03:12 AM   #4
danhiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
Hi Danhiman,

And welcome to our forums.

This item doubtlessly shows the type of a Bronze Age sword , ca. 2200 to 1200 BC, with an unusually high content of copper in the brass alloy forming the bronze. Whether it's a copy of an original item or not I am not able to tell from the images.

The double scroll pommel is, as Gene has pointed out, of a rare form diverging from the antenna type.

Best,
Michael
What other pictures would help determine authenticity? Maybe different lighting?

Thanks for the help gentlemen.
Old 28th January 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhiman
What other pictures would help determine authenticity? Maybe different lighting?

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

It's not an original.
There is no question.

As my original post says. It is fully or mostly copper, and was cast with the hilt parts combined.
Also, it has no patina/oxidisation and the 'antenna' don't conform to known styles.
If you want to see good examples of reproductions covering the main types, then have a look here.

Also, show the rats some mercy for christs sake. They are just trying to earn a living too
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 04:43 AM   #6
fearn

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure it's more of an artwork than an exact copy of something like a Witham sword.

Remember, "use" can be from anyone (such as a kid playing with something) rather than a mark of a genuine piece.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 02:25 AM   #7
danhiman

I use it to change channels on my tv when I'm in bed and I have also killed a few roof rats with it. Its got pretty good balance/handling.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
I use it to change channels on my tv when I'm in bed and I have also killed a few roof rats with it. Its got pretty good balance/handling.
LOL!!! Now thats what I call a 'remote' !!!! You have substantially raised the benchmark for 'the guy code'

I agree with the guys in that this seems a nicely made impression of these Bronze age type swords, and as Gene notes, more artwork than keen reproduction. Very nice example though, and thanks for the chuckle, much appreciated.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 10:41 PM   #9
celtan

You can also use it to scratch your toes without getting up from the couch, and to tap your wifey's derriere, to signal her you require further fermented spirits from the fridge.

Live and let die...

: )

Quote:
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote