Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th March 2012, 08:41 PM   #1
David R

Default New purchase.

Just bought this via the internet, and now awaiting arrival by post. The first time I have ever bought a weapon without handling it. So a bit of an experiment, but the price was right, and I took the plunge. Comments and advice sought and welcomed.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Stan S.

Nice piece. Mid to late 19th century Persian or Indian. Too bad the blade is loose but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed with a good epoxy. Be careful when cleaning up the rust - go easy on the coftgari. Congrads on your new purchase
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:22 AM   #3
David R

Thanks for the comment, and confirmation. It was advertised as 19thC Indo Persian, looked right to me, and I am relieved someone else was of the same opinion.
I strongly suspect it to be an abandoned restoration project, and the separated hilt and blade the reason for the low price.
Old 17th March 2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Dom

Hi Dav.
I fully agree with appreciation; 19thC Indo Persian
good exercise for recovery, in anticipation
just go, step by step, without damaging the inlays
when it will be done, come back to this post, and add new pic's
to show us your final touch
good caught, congratulations

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams David R ~ Nice restoration project there... Break out the coke cola ! Easy does it ! Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
David R

Default Cola.

Hi Ibrahim, you reckon a coca cola wash might be the way to go with this one.
It arrived today, and there were no suprises, pretty well just as it looked in the pics. The silverwork looks to be foil applique koftgari, which I have seen done with gold before. Very delicate, I will need to be really carefull of it.
The blade to hilt fit does not look that good, the blade seems almost too big, but the motives match on the two pieces so not looking like a shotgun job. Anyone got pics of something similar to post, I wonder if this is a feature of this type of dagger. I will try and update as I work on it.
Overall I am happy with the piece, one more for the wall!
Old 18th March 2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Hi Ibrahim, you reckon a coca cola wash might be the way to go with this one.
It arrived today, and there were no suprises, pretty well just as it looked in the pics. The silverwork looks to be foil applique koftgari, which I have seen done with gold before. Very delicate, I will need to be really carefull of it.
The blade to hilt fit does not look that good, the blade seems almost too big, but the motives match on the two pieces so not looking like a shotgun job. Anyone got pics of something similar to post, I wonder if this is a feature of this type of dagger. I will try and update as I work on it.
Overall I am happy with the piece, one more for the wall!
Salaams Ya drop it in coke for a while then wash in hot soapy water which should shift a lot of surface stuff... I imagine you already did that... There may or may not be a piece missing between the blade and hilt so find a complete example and see if it is... Then you may want to try to make a scabbard and the forum has some good examples on library search. 00 grade paper on this is ok except take care and avoid using on the decorative koftgari.. There are all sorts of fruit juices that give good results like pineapple and most are fairly mild. Vinegar is ok but can be agressive especially if heated. Lemon salt is pretty good ... lots of low end non agressive techniques out there...

Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:30 AM   #8
David R

Hi Ibrahim, not done much to it yet. Polished a small section of blade and gave it a quick etch with hot vinegar, just in case....but it looks to be plain steel.
The grip I think I will just oil, so the silver work that's left effectively has a browned background. I might make a scabbard....but as it will live on my wall this is not a priority. I intend trying the cola treatment today.
I don't think it is missing a piece, I think it is just not a high end khanjar originaly, and was possibly built up in that area with resin. The work looks old and the hilt has a good feel to it. I have handled some of the modern stuff with all metal grips and they feel "tinny" as though made from oil cans, and are often bigger than the old ones.
I can't complain, it cost me the same as a family takeaway meal from the local curry house!
Old 19th March 2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Hi Ibrahim, not done much to it yet. Polished a small section of blade and gave it a quick etch with hot vinegar, just in case....but it looks to be plain steel.
The grip I think I will just oil, so the silver work that's left effectively has a browned background. I might make a scabbard....but as it will live on my wall this is not a priority. I intend trying the cola treatment today.
I don't think it is missing a piece, I think it is just not a high end khanjar originaly, and was possibly built up in that area with resin. The work looks old and the hilt has a good feel to it. I have handled some of the modern stuff with all metal grips and they feel "tinny" as though made from oil cans, and are often bigger than the old ones.
I can't complain, it cost me the same as a family takeaway meal from the local curry house!
Salaams David R ~Great little project and please bring it up(not the curry ) when you get a chance so we can see the restored item. Regards Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
David R

The blade is pretty well de rusted now, I have been trying out something I found online. Suggested for cleaning chromed items, coca cola and scrubbing with aluminium foil, the foil being soft enough not to lift the plate but harder than the rust. It has worked quite nicely on the koftgari, scrubbing down to the steel and not damaging the silver applique. In fact I am considering using it on the grip, just to remove the upper/looser layers of oxide.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

David

Just try some 0000 steel wool and some wd40 go lightly and afterwood use some type of silver polish cloth to bring out the koftgari.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
David

Just try some 0000 steel wool and some wd40 go lightly and afterwood use some type of silver polish cloth to bring out the koftgari.

Lew
I second that - exactly what I would have done.

Can we see some "after" pics?
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
The blade is pretty well de rusted now, I have been trying out something I found online. Suggested for cleaning chromed items, coca cola and scrubbing with aluminium foil, the foil being soft enough not to lift the plate but harder than the rust. It has worked quite nicely on the koftgari, scrubbing down to the steel and not damaging the silver applique. In fact I am considering using it on the grip, just to remove the upper/looser layers of oxide.
Salaams David R ~ I have had reasonable results with aluminium foil and 0000 paper as well as most fruit juices, wd40 and coke . I also used vinegar but its got a habit of being a bit agressive if hot... I agree with all the suggestions with the caution "take it slowly" and ya lets see the completed product please.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:19 PM   #14
David R

I have taken the cleaning as far as I think sensible, and the next step is to make up some cutlers resin and put it together again, which I intend doing over the weekend.
I post today 'cause of a little discovery...a pin or rivet traversing the narrow axis of the grip, in just the right place to hold a short tang blade. But not this blade, which I now think is possibly a replacement made during the working life of the khanjar...which would explain the poor fit to the hilt.
Attached Images