Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th December 2011, 01:56 AM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default indonesian knife for comment

I think this is a pisau but I'm not sure. It has a nice blade and the hilt is of nicely figured wood. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 08:30 AM   #2
klewang

It’s a badik, most likely from Celebes.
But since it is a knife of some sort, pisau would fit the description.
klewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Lew,

agree with Klewang that it is a badik from Sulawesi. Very nice blade shape. Try to etch it, I think that it will show a lamination. Look here for comparison:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=badik
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=badik

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Forgive me for my ignorance of these blades, but the blade of Lew's example doesn't look anything like the blades of all these other badiks in the links, though when i look in Zonnefeld i do see similar blade forms for badek from Sulawesi. Is the name badik/badek meant then to describe the manner of dress then or does it relate to the actual blade form.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Forgive me for my ignorance of these blades, but the blade of Lew's example doesn't look anything like the blades of all these other badiks in the links, though when i look in Zonnefeld i do see similar blade forms for badek from Sulawesi. Is the name badik/badek meant then to describe the manner of dress then or does it relate to the actual blade form.

First I would think that the dress is the main manner to describe a badik but when you look to the both badik on the right it is to seen that the blades have in this case a similar general shape. Albert G. van Zonneveld write about this: "The blade has a straight or slightly convex back running up to the point, or otherwise bends towards the edge at the point. The edge may be straight, but also slightly or strongly convex, or somewhat S-shaped."

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Hi all

The piece showed up yesterday. The blade is mono steel but it is still a nice find Thanks for all the comments.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2019, 12:03 AM   #7
kerisbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
I think this is a pisau but I'm not sure. It has a nice blade and the hilt is of nicely figured wood. Let me know what you think.
Now this badik is with me, I bought it from ebay. This Badik is from Makassar, South Sulawesi. Called the name "Lompo Battang" or Lompo = Large, Battang = Stomach. this is forged in the taeng area so it is also commonly called "Dedde 'Taeng". Dedde = made and forged in. There are several different types of badek in Makassar with the names "Dapur / Lacak" which are different starting from "Panjarungan, Campaga, Taeng, Mangapa', Kampung Batu". And for this type it is called Badik "Taeng" originally from Makassar.
kerisbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2019, 06:17 PM   #8
Lee
EAAF Staff

Here are the images and description of this item from the sale of Lew's Estate: http://vikingsword.com/lew/w1103/w1103.html
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote