Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd August 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Norman McCormick

Default Bullova Axe ?

Hi,
Just got this, I'm assuming it is a Bullova Axe as I cannot find anything else similar. The shaft is 37 inches and the blade 6x9 inches. The shaft appears to be made from bamboo or similar. As you can see on the photos there is red pigment on the blade, is this original to the piece or a later addition ? Part of the decoration reminds me of a similar design on a Tulwar Hilted Kora I have, see photo, do they have the same meaning/origin ? Can anyone hazard an opinion as to age. As usual many thanks for all and any opinions/information.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Norman

I think you have a rather nice bullova there. The shaft looks more like rattan than bamboo to me. Mid to early 19th century as far as age goes.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:51 PM   #3
katana

Hi Norman,
so it was you that out bid me on this , I think it is a nice example, congrats

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
BBJW

I agree with Lew. Very nice. Wish I had seen it for sale.

Cheers
bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:39 AM   #5
sabertasche

Very nice, much better than most!

Greg
sabertasche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

Yes, very nice, I too was outbid.

If you ever grow tired of it...let me know...

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi Guys,
Lew, thanks, I think you are right about the rattan and older than I had thought. Greg, bbjw, thanks. David and Gav, apologies re ' pipping at the post', you needed to sacrifice a few more pints on this one, still I'll have to watch out in future as you now know my 'nom de guerre'.

My Regards,
Norman.
Old 4th August 2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While it seems well agreed that this is a nice example of a bullova, as always I like to learn a little on the historical end of the weapon. I do recall the tulwar hilted kora that Norman mentioned, a we had a great discussion on it. One of the interesting features on that kora was an inscribed figure wearing a crown,and holding what was revealed to actually being a boomerang (as Jens cited Elgood, p.191). This boomerang in the Elgood reference was termed a 'birudungi' and apparantly was from Madurai, in Central India, suggesting possibly that region for provenance.

Norman has noted the markings on this bullova having similarity to those on the kora, and I am noticing the red highlights on this piece. It seems the tulwar hilted kora I had also had traces of red paint in the inscribed decoration. I am not sure of the significance, but it has been suggested that the color may have been to emphasize the markings potency.

These bullova, in a certain range of variation are attributed as the weapon of the Khonds, a tribal people centered in regions of Chota Nagpur and of course with diffusion to surrounding areas. These people are aboriginal Dravidians that are animists but nominally Hindu.What I found most interesting is the bizarre sacrificial rituals practiced well into 19th century by them that has paralleled them in certain perspective to the notorious Thugs whose depradations were finally terminated by the British.

While the tulwar hilted kora, were said to have been used sacrificially for doves according to data I cannot reliably authenticate, but it seems they may have had some combat use. These bullova were distinctly combat weapons as described in period narratives, and as far as I can determine, were not used sactifically on humans. However, they did find use in dispatch of animals.

Since this great example Norman has acquired was intriguing, along with the kora he posted some time ago, I just wanted to look into these a bit further.
As always, I look forward to other comments on these axes, and maybe we might see some of the other variations. I agree with Lew on the age of this one, which is very, very nice!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info as always. The history of these axes eludes me and I was hoping that some of the more experienced members might be able to flesh out the bones a little more. The net seems quite dry on this subject. Whilst I cannot add anything regarding the history and possible uses of these axes I have been able to find a number of pictorial examples on the net and there appears to be quite a difference from example to example both in quality of construction and design. The most numerous types seem to be the 'moustache' shaped blades which I don't think make the most of the 'axe concept' the force of the blow being dissipated along the length of the blade rather than concentrated in one section to make the most of the 'strike'. The one I have, and this is what attracted me in the first place, appears to have been designed for one purpose to maximise the effect of a blow. The blade has a gradual distal taper from the root of the blade to the edge with a pronounced central ridge running the full width. The ball on the shaft adds extra weight and is directly above the central point of the blade ensuring that maximum force is concentrated on the small central section of the blade for greater effect. Whether intentional or not the ball at the base of the blade could be used, I imagine, as an effective tool for crushing armour emulating the action of a mace. The effectiveness of some of the other blade profiles I've seen would appear to be somewhat compromised by their flamboyance although not having one to handle I cannot be absolutely sure. The preponderance of the 'moustache' type blades also makes me think that I might have missed something that makes them more suitable for purpose than it would first appear. I am interested in other members thoughts and hope that some might post examples that they may have in their collections.
Regards to All,
Norman.
Old 5th August 2008, 03:59 PM   #10
kronckew

Mine has a more traditional axe shape,

these seem to be designed for maximum cutting effectiveness on un-armoured opponents, and could be used in a slicing style of attack. they are from central india and i expect the heat and humidity would make armour uncomfortable and predispose them to a more lightweight and fast combat style. the rattan shafts are light and very strong for their weight.

Here is a gatka axe fight

Another axe demo

Last edited by kronckew; 5th August 2008 at 04:41 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Norman McCormick

Hi Wayne,
Your axe is similar to mine in that the edge is convex and the weighty bulbous part is in line with the centre of the blade where one would assume the maximum cutting force would be found, I was wondering how effective the ones with the concave centre section were, as far as I can see there is no advantage to the concave ones in fact the reverse i.e. not as effective. I see also that yours could in fact be used in a stabbing motion much like some European polearms. Thanks again.
My Regards,
Norman.
Old 5th August 2008, 06:36 PM   #12
kronckew

i've seen illustrations of them with concave, straight, convex and multi-pointed shapes, rectangular, etc. googling 'bullova axe' & selecting the images will bring up a bewildering variety, like this image i found googling:

not sure how that was intended to be used either, looks like it might stick in the target...the more usual moustache ones

were noted on one indian blog as being notched in the middle to fit an intended victims neck, tho this seems unlikely to me. not a lot out on the ol' internet...

i read somewhere that the earlier ones were made in two parts, the blade part being riveted to the neck of the eye part, the later ones forged in one piece. in mine it appears the eye & neck were one piece, and the blade and it's neck piece were inserted and hammer forged together, you can see the layers in the following:
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Norman McCormick

Hi Wayne,
I read somewhere the multi spiked variety were intended to go through mail, maybe, maybe not. The neck thing, as you say, seems most unlikely.
Regards,
Norman.
Old 14th August 2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Found this item on Oriental Arms sold list. It is described as probably 18thC, South Indian and remounted on a later 19thC Bulowa style haft. The similarities I find interesting ie. the red pigment, the design that appears both on this axe my axe and the Kora, although this may be coincidental or universal, the thicker central ridge on both axes, the heavy socket on both and the slightly raised ridge on the back of both axes. Whilst there are obvious dissimilarities the similarities are also obvious. Comments and opinions sought.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Old 16th August 2008, 06:55 PM   #15
Royston

Default A LOAD OFF BULL ( OVA )

Still recovering my collection following 2 house moves and buildings renovation.
Just had to get these back to show some variations in the forms.

If anyone is interested I can post in more detail, but I am away tomorrow for 5 weeks so it will have to be later.

Royston
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 01:35 AM   #16
Gavin Nugent

Default Do you still have this axe?

G'day Norman, do you still have this axe in the collection. I recently bought it's twin brother from England, I'll be sure to post good images when it arrives, and I'll see if I can find the images from the auction house too. Yours appears to have a little bit more decoration from memory but in essence a twin.

All the best and merry Christmas.

Gav
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:01 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Default The twin

Images from the auction house...not quite as much detail in the engraving and not quite the same shape but definately from the same place/tribe.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2008, 05:10 PM   #18
Norman McCormick

Hi Gav,
Very very nice not quite a twin but certainly a sibling. I would say these are definately fighting axes when you get yours you will see what I mean, built for use and not parading around with. I've still not made up my mind as to the exact origin for this axe, see Oriental Arms example I listed, despite a lot of searching. Regardless I think it is one of the more interesting pieces in my collection, sits just above my desk in my study, and definately a keeper. Let me know what you think when you get it.
A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Fruitful New Year.
My Regards,
Norman.