Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 25th March 2019, 11:21 AM   #1
ShazamsLaw

Default 37 inch Visayan Kris?

I found this at an online auction, the description goes as"

"A mix of a Visayan Bolo and a Moro Kris? It is certainly of monstrous dimensions: 37 inches long (In scabbard). The blade is wavy, deadly sharp and ‘only’ 30 inches long (For comparison purposes it is shown below next to a rather big 20 inches blade Moro Kris). The handle is a Deity shaped carved from horn and the cross guard is steel. Wood scabbard bound with brass wires. Good condition. Few blackened spots on the blade. Cracks on the scabbard (But hold solid) and few of the brass wire bands are damaged and few missing. Very Unusual piece."
ShazamsLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 11:02 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
As Posted By ShazamsLaw
I found this at an online auction, the description goes as
Are you saying that this piece is currently being offered for sale at auction? If so you will not only need to read the rules on posting photos, but especially those pertaining to items that are currently being offered for sale.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 10:57 AM   #3
ShazamsLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Are you saying that this piece is currently being offered for sale at auction? If so you will not only need to read the rules on posting photos, but especially those pertaining to items that are currently being offered for sale.

Robert
Heres the actual picture of the kris itself. The description is on my previous post

ShazamsLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 07:43 PM   #4
mross

Is there pic of this? You have my curiosity up.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Aslan Paladin

I googled the description provided mross and I found that the sword was offered by Artzi http://oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1300
Aslan Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 10:03 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Interesting blade. I'd be interested in seeing how it feels in hand.
BUT...a wavy blade is a wavy blade. Some might call it a "flamboyant" blade. This is a very interesting sword, but it is certainly not a kris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 02:50 AM   #7
MaharlikaTimawa

What exactly makes it Visayan? I don't believe these types of groups made anything outside of tools as weapons....
MaharlikaTimawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 04:30 AM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

It's not a Kris by any standard; if the blade was straight what would you call it?
Certainly not a Kris.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 08:12 AM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Shazam,

Your original post appears in Artzi's "sold items" section so you can show it here as it's not currently for sale.

The hilt of this sword is typical Visayan work from Panay, and the scabbard is consistent with that origin also. It is a flamboyant-bladed sword, but not similar to either a kris or keris in several key aspects, as others have noted already.

Ian

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 10th April 2019 at 10:22 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 11:18 AM   #10
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Shazam,

Your original post appears in Artzi's "sold items" section so you can show it here as it's not currently for sale.

The hilt of this sword is typical Visayan work from Panay, and the scabbard is consistent with that origin also. It is a flamboyant-bladed sword, but not similar to either a kris or keris in several key aspects, as others have noted already.

Ian

Agreed with this. There is also a small version of this piece. Kris-like blades used to be spread throughout the archipelago.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 03:11 PM   #11
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan Paladin
I googled the description provided mross and I found that the sword was offered by Artzi http://oriental-arms.com/photos.php?id=1300
Thanks. Should have thought of that. My curiosity has been sated.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:28 AM   #12
MaharlikaTimawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShazamsLaw

I found this at an online auction, the description goes as"

"A mix of a Visayan Bolo and a Moro Kris? It is certainly of monstrous dimensions: 37 inches long (In scabbard). The blade is wavy, deadly sharp and ‘only’ 30 inches long (For comparison purposes it is shown below next to a rather big 20 inches blade Moro Kris). The handle is a Deity shaped carved from horn and the cross guard is steel. Wood scabbard bound with brass wires. Good condition. Few blackened spots on the blade. Cracks on the scabbard (But hold solid) and few of the brass wire bands are damaged and few missing. Very Unusual piece."

Shazam, nothing about the blade screams Visayan other than the scrabard and handle that they slapped on their, which is something they usually do with a lot of the better weapons they can get their hands but obviously can't make themselves. Even the moros were not capable of making swords on par with that of europe and its western colonies.
MaharlikaTimawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 03:51 PM   #13
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaharlikaTimawa
Shazam, nothing about the blade screams Visayan other than the scrabard and handle that they slapped on their, which is something they usually do with a lot of the better weapons they can get their hands but obviously can't make themselves. Even the moros were not capable of making swords on par with that of europe and its western colonies.
Reply respectfully disagree with that last sentence. I have and have seen blades that easily equal anything made in the similar time period, from any group. I also have a blade that from everything I have examined about is equal to many Japanese blades, minus the Nihonto type polish, as the Moro's did it different. The steel has the color qualities of Tamahagane.

Last edited by mross; 18th April 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaharlikaTimawa
Shazam, nothing about the blade screams Visayan other than the scrabard and handle that they slapped on their, ....

Have a look here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=visayan+daga
Also not Visayan?

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2019, 07:37 PM   #15
ashkenaz

Default Opinion?

What makes the blade obviously Visayan and original, in my opinion, is that the Kris Blade is straightly erected and aligned to the handle, as opposed to the Moro Kris. Kris's like this is something we see among Visayan and Luzon works but never beyond that.

Nobody on other regions of Asia makes a blade like that, not even Moros, let alone for some reason make one specifically for a few Visayans for no logical logistical reason behind it. Nor does it make sense for Moros to make blades for people we know they regularly raid.

So unfortunately for Maharlika, his narrative that "literally all blades in the Visayas is imported" is not true.

Last edited by ashkenaz; 14th May 2019 at 07:20 AM.
ashkenaz is offline   Reply With Quote