Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th January 2007, 06:12 PM   #1
BerberDagger

Default KOUMMIYA MILITARY OR TOURIST?

HELLO!!!
MY QUESTION IS this koummiya is military and good koummiya or tourist item....it is very beautiful .... and it look old but i dont known.....

for you ?????
Attached Images

BerberDagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 08:13 PM   #2
kai

I don't know much about these but this one seems also to be promising. Could you please also measure the thickness of the blade?

BTW, I don't think these ever were military weapons but more for civilian use. An early EDC (every day carry) blade...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 08:23 PM   #3
BerberDagger

Default hi

thanks Kai!!!

it is of 3 mm ...... yes for me is not military dagger.....but for you is possible known period?

reagards
lorenzo
Old 24th January 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
kai

Exactly 3mm for maximum thickness? That's a bit on the thin side; also it doesn't look as old as the other piece (especially I don't see any patina of the wood on your pics) - possibly vintage? My best guess would be that this was more for status wear rather than actual use but I hope Ernst and others will comment!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Emanuel

Hello,
I often wondered at the variety of koummiya with slender handles...how thick and strong would the tang be and how would the knife stand up to use?
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 10:43 PM   #6
BerberDagger

yes 3 mm maximum.....blade is not very sharp....it is silver and brass ....very hight quality of koummiya....but i dont understand much of it
Old 25th January 2007, 03:05 AM   #7
FenrisWolf

The tricky thing about Moroccan koummiya/jambiyas is that Moroccan merchants have been selling them to tourists for a VERY long time. While they may not have used the same terminology, I don't doubt that there were merchant stalls selling souvenirs to Viking warriors on their way to serve as guards on the Byzantine court at Constantinople.

The rule of thumb I try and use is, can I imagine using a particular example to defend myself in a street brawl? It doesn't matter how pretty it is, if it has a cheap blade and flimsy construction, it's a tourist piece and not the 'real thing'. Of the ones I see listed for sale on ebay, I'd say at least 95% are souvenir pieces.

Fenris
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 02:24 PM   #8
ErnestoJuan

Hi guys,

This is in my humble koumya opinion clearly a tourist piece. I am still looking for a piccie I thought I had. It showed a Fez bazaar shop with tens and tens of these hanging on the wall of the shop for sale.
ErnestoJuan is offline   Reply With Quote