Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th March 2017, 04:12 AM   #1
G. Mansfield

Default Philippine Bowie

From what I understand from research, these type of knives originate from Pampanga/Luzon area of the Philippines showing strong Spanish colonial influence in the hilt, which is composed of brass, horn, and bone.

The seller claimed that this knife was purchased in a collection of a well known Miami Civil War/weapons collector where most of his items had been collected in the 1970s and 1980s. He stated that this specific knife was purchased in the Middle East in the 1970s and was labeled as "Middle Eastern." Though I understood that this was improperly described which then created a question of doubt with the rest of the information. Nonetheless, a great acquisition as this is outside of my normal geographic focus in collecting.

I am wondering about the age of this knife. Would it be considered WWII era or early 20th century? Any further information would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Geoff

Dimensions:
Blade & Hilt Length: 14” (35.5cm)
Blade Length: 8 ½” (22cm)

reference:
http://www.vikingsword.com/lew/w1029/w1029.html
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 05:02 AM   #2
machinist

A very beautiful knife, the Spanish influence of the hilt seems strongly Canarian.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 06:19 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Geoff:

Strong Spanish influence as noted by others.

The knife shown in the reference you cite is more likely Ilocano (judging from the brass guard). However, the guard on your knife is different and not really Ilocano in style. I would not rule out a Mexican origin for your knife--the blade shape is commonly found on Mexican knives (see, for example, here).

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 07:51 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

With the offset tang (most knives that I have seen from Mexico have the tang more centered to the blade) and the leaf decoration on the butt plate I would agree with G. Mansfield that this knife is most likely from Pampanga and would date to the first quarter of the 20th century.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 06:11 PM   #5
G. Mansfield

Although I know very little about Southeastern Asian weapons, I based the origin off of shared characteristics of similar examples. Although the cross guard may be different from the one cited, the similarities in the form of the barrel hilt and the materials used show almost an identical relationship.

I compared the "four leaf" tang of this one to other Filipino knives where similar forms are present such as:

http://www.vikingsword.com/lew/w1132/w1132.html
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=bowie

-Geoff
G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote